Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > LCD TV Questions

LCD TV Questions
buckaroo2008
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 28, 2009, 01:36 PM

i've got a 13" white macbook and a nice sized lcd tv. i want to be able to watch movies from my computer on the tv. basically i want to be able to avoid paying for an apple tv but get all the same perks by using my laptop. the guys at the apple store showed me the mini-dvi to dvi adaptor and the dvi to hdmi cord. also they showed me the audio cable i would need for sound.

my question then: how is the quality of video and audio? is there any noticeable difference between the speed of the video compared to the audio? is there an easier way to go about all this? and even would it be worth my time/money to go through with all this?

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jan 28, 2009, 01:40 PM

It's definitely worth the trouble - Macs were made to be viewed on a bigger screen. Lag between video and audio usually isn't a problem, but it depends on the TV. A mini-DVI to DVI and a DVI to HDMI cable is pretty simple, and both can be sourced for cheap on eBay.

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Jan 28, 2009, 02:11 PM

I'd suggest Monoprice.com for cables. They are cheap and don't charge crazy shipping prices like some eBay sellers. The only thing you have to buy from Apple is the mini-DVI to DVI adapter.

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*

buckaroo2008  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 28, 2009, 03:39 PM

ok thanks a ton. to build off my last question(s) would the video on the tv be hd quality (obviously i would start with an hd quality video)?

thanks for that link to monoprice.com! right on their homepage i found a mini-dvi to hdmi adaptor (for only $9!!). anyone have any experience with this or should i stick with what was recommended by the apple store? i was thinking maybe the guy at apple didn't mention this cord because the store doesn't sell them.
( Last edited by buckaroo2008; Jan 28, 2009 at 03:51 PM. )

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jan 28, 2009, 03:53 PM

If the resolution you'd get on your TV is higher than 1080x768 (and I'd be surprised if you couldn't drive this), yes.

kikkoman
Senior User
Feb 2, 2009, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by Luca Rescigno View Post
I'd suggest Monoprice.com for cables. They are cheap and don't charge crazy shipping prices like some eBay sellers. The only thing you have to buy from Apple is the mini-DVI to DVI adapter.
Monoprice makes an mini-DVI to HDMI adapter so no need for dual adapters.

Monoprice mini-DVI to HDMI adapter

buckaroo2008  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 2, 2009, 10:46 PM

ya thanks alot guys i bought that mini-dvi to hdmi adapter and the audio cable that i need from monoprice.com and it works awesome. ill definitely be using that site many more time, thanks for the advice!

Forum Links
Forum Rules