Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Using walkthroughs for Monkey Island games

View Poll Results: Did you need to use a walkthrough when playing Monkey Island?
Poll Options:
No, I finished the game(s) all by myself. 2 votes (20.00%)
I needed a little bit of help when I got really stuck. 6 votes (60.00%)
I looked at the walkthrough as much as I did the game. 2 votes (20.00%)
Monkey Island? Have I been missing something great? 0 votes (0%)
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll
Using walkthroughs for Monkey Island games
bradoesch
Professional Poster
Jan 30, 2003, 07:55 PM

I've finished 1 and 2, still working on 4, and for each I've needed to consult a few walkthroughs to get through some really tricky parts. I just wanted to know if I'm stupid when it comes to games or if other people have the same troubles that I do.

PJMacDude
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 30, 2003, 08:53 PM

Don't think ur stupid Monkey Island (especially 4) is almost impossible to complete without walktroughs I think...

curan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 31, 2003, 03:44 PM

All of LucasArts' (fantastic) point'n click adventure games are super tough, so I have always had to consult a walkthrough at some point or other.

For those who don't yet know: http://scummvm.sourceforge.net/

bradoesch  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 2, 2003, 11:46 PM

I'm glad there are others who get very stuck in these games. I'd rather these games be really tough and need a walkthrough than really easy though.

Brad

ranga
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 3, 2003, 01:12 AM

I've used the walkthrough on all of the games. I didn't make that much use the walkthroughs on the first and the third installments (Curse of Monkey Island had a "easy" mode where you could get the gist of the story and the play it on "hard" to do all the puzzles), but I really needed help on the second on and the fourth one.

The Monkey Island games are among my most favorite games of all time. Its too bad that Curse didn't make it to Mac, it was very entertaining. Fortunately it ran pretty well in VPC. I'm hoping that Lucas Arts releases another one sometime in the future.

--ranga

andycroll
Feb 4, 2003, 01:02 PM

Originally posted by ranga:
The Monkey Island games are among my most favorite games of all time. Its too bad that Curse didn't make it to Mac, it was very entertaining. Fortunately it ran pretty well in VPC. I'm hoping that Lucas Arts releases another one sometime in the future.
Curse of Monkey Island (the third one) is coming to the Mac vie scummvm. See www.scummvm.org

Also instead of using the walkthroughs you might try www.uhs-hints.com - that way you might not spoil things for yourself!

Andy
Powerbook (G4-1GHz)
iPod mini (4GB)

bradoesch  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 5, 2003, 12:29 PM

Originally posted by andycroll:
Curse of Monkey Island (the third one) is coming to the Mac vie scummvm. See www.scummvm.org

Also instead of using the walkthroughs you might try www.uhs-hints.com - that way you might not spoil things for yourself!

Andy
That's awesome! Thanks for the link! I was SO upset when I found out that, well, I'm not gonna say what a walkthrough spoiled for me, but it was sure frustrating that the author of th walkthrough mentioned it part way through the game.

iamnid
Senior User
Feb 5, 2003, 07:02 PM

when the first two monkey islands came out, walkthroughs were not readily available (no internet) so my friends and I had to finish them without any help -- monkey island 2 was particularly difficult on hard mode. Since then I haven't had any troubles with 3 or 4. Four was actually the easiest of the bunch in my opinion... apart from maybe the first one.

bradoesch  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 6, 2003, 02:32 AM

Originally posted by iamnid:
when the first two monkey islands came out, walkthroughs were not readily available (no internet) so my friends and I had to finish them without any help -- monkey island 2 was particularly difficult on hard mode. Since then I haven't had any troubles with 3 or 4. Four was actually the easiest of the bunch in my opinion... apart from maybe the first one.
I'm working on 4 right now. I just finished the puzzle with the "flaming fish" (trying not to give anything away here.) I absolutely needed help with that part. I would've sat there for days on end trying to figure it out. So, to all you that need no help, I have a great deal of respect for y'all!

Silencer
Forum Regular
Feb 6, 2003, 06:26 AM

I've been brought up playing Lucasarts point and click games on PC and i never once used a guide and have completed all of them apart from grim fandango, which sucked, i don't like the 3D style

andycroll
Feb 6, 2003, 10:12 AM

Originally posted by Silencer:
I've been brought up playing Lucasarts point and click games on PC and i never once used a guide and have completed all of them apart from grim fandango, which sucked, i don't like the 3D style
I wish the exac oppostie, I wish there was a way to play this on my Mac it's an awesome game with tremendous atmosphere and storyline. A good length too!

It can't be too hard to port as EMI (No. 4) uses the same engine? Even if it only worked in classic I wouldn't mind! It's pretty much rated as the last great pure (i.e. no action) adventure game. Although I like EMI it just ain't as good!

Andy
Powerbook (G4-1GHz)
iPod mini (4GB)

appledude83
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 6, 2003, 05:58 PM

Well I have beat Monkey Island 2 using the walkthrough only a little bit. However this was years ago when I was a little kid. I guess I can't really say for now. If you take your time I think it's really beatable without any walkthroughs.

iBook 800/640MB/30GB

Forum Links
Forum Rules