Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Expose' and Backlight a no go?

Expose' and Backlight a no go?
Jbroad572
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 1, 2003, 02:50 PM

These two don't work together? That sucks I really like Backlight and once I open it, Expose stops working except for the application feature and to get it working again I have to restart my computer. Any solutions?
17" Apple Powerbook 1.33ghz

eggman
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 1, 2003, 03:05 PM

I've been a longtime BackLight user too... in conjunction with the old Technicron screensaver which should me daytime passing over a photo-realistic image of the Earth. Didn't take much CPU... wasn't a distracting animation. Just classy.

It didn't take long to figure out that Expos� didn't like BackLight. In fact, anything using hotkeys had a problem with BackLight running.

I tried using xBack (see versiontracker.com) and that works with many screen savers. It doesn't work with Technicron though (it did on the first run, but never again. Sigh.) I've seen other reports that it doesn't consistently work with 3rd party screen savers - but the only one I've had trouble with is the one I like the most... but it may be your solution.

My solution was DesktopEarthPro, which works fine with Panther & Expos�.

PeterKG
Senior User
Nov 1, 2003, 03:54 PM

Originally posted by Jbroad572:
These two don't work together? That sucks I really like Backlight and once I open it, Expose stops working except for the application feature and to get it working again I have to restart my computer. Any solutions?
Switch it to your F11 key. Whats the big deal?
Go to System Preferences- Expose, and customize it to your liking. I actually enabled the right lower corner of my screen to work with Expose.
MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.7), 1.6 GHz, Core i5, 4GB 1333 MHz DDR3, 128 GB SSD, 24" LED ACD, 1TB Time Capsule (late 2009), IOS4 ATV, 16GB iPhone 4

Jbroad572  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 1, 2003, 04:27 PM

switch what to my f11 key?

ASIMO
Mac Elite
Nov 1, 2003, 06:18 PM

Methinks someone has Backlight and Keyboard Backlighting mixed up.
I, ASIMO.

Jbroad572  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 2, 2003, 12:15 AM

Originally posted by ASIMO:
Methinks someone has Backlight and Keyboard Backlighting mixed up.
Oh now I understand. Im talking about an actual program, not the keyboard.

PeterKG
Senior User
Nov 2, 2003, 01:33 AM

Oh now I understand. Im talking about an actual program, not the keyboard.
Sorry. I did think you were talking keyboard backlight. Good luck with finding a solution
while running "Backlight"
MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.7), 1.6 GHz, Core i5, 4GB 1333 MHz DDR3, 128 GB SSD, 24" LED ACD, 1TB Time Capsule (late 2009), IOS4 ATV, 16GB iPhone 4

mrtew
Professional Poster
Nov 2, 2003, 10:00 AM

...and to get it working again I have to restart my computer. Any solutions?

Well, I don't have a solution to getting them to work together, but I have a couple of work-arounds. You can use them both, just not at the same time. As long as you stop the background screensaver before you do the Expose action, you won't break the Expose function. I hope someone can do better than that soon! Also, if you do break the Expose functionality you can get it back without restarting by opening up your Expose System Preference panel and changing one of the settings and then changing it back. That will wake it up without a restart of the whole computer. I hope that backlite can be updated soon to fix this, or who knows, maybe even Apple computer can fix Expose althougth they are not really well known for bending to keep others from breaking.

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

X-Ti
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 3, 2003, 12:39 AM

Use the function (fn) key with the F keys.

Forum Links
Forum Rules