Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > good cheap firewire hd for audio/video?

good cheap firewire hd for audio/video?
jaquarat
Jan 14, 2005, 06:37 PM

would like to stay around the $200 mark - don't need a whole lot of space, but would like something reasonably nice:

reliable
fast
quiet
fw800 - do i need it? how much faster than fw400 for real world aps?

intuitive and easy to use (and ok, nice to look at!)

i've done a little research, and ezquest seems to have some good reviews. their "pro audio" models look decent.

anyone have any suggestions?

thanks!

GK
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 15, 2005, 12:19 PM

Originally posted by jaquarat:
would like to stay around the $200 mark - don't need a whole lot of space, but would like something reasonably nice:

reliable
fast
quiet
fw800 - do i need it? how much faster than fw400 for real world aps?

intuitive and easy to use (and ok, nice to look at!)

i've done a little research, and ezquest seems to have some good reviews. their "pro audio" models look decent.

anyone have any suggestions?

thanks!

I bought FW drives from www.macsales.com and www.transintl.com, all of them were great and reasonably priced. There's also LaCie drives, for some reason the Porsche LaCie apparently has some issues with the Mac, but if you buy the LaCie d2 series, all should be well. I bought LaCie drives from www.dell.com when they have their Sales at very good prices. You can also check out the discussion boards at Apple in the iMovie and FCP sections, lots of discussion about different drives.

Hope that helps

dlefebvre
Mac Elite
Jan 15, 2005, 12:54 PM

You could also check out for External Firewire case and a ATA drive. It's generally cheaper but most of these cases are bulkier and more noisy. LaCie d2 drives are a good choice, I own 2 (one for video editing and one for back-ups. The price difference is not worth the trouble. Try LaCie's Clearance Corner you can get a decent bargain. As far as FW800 the speed gain is marginal.

Forum Links
Forum Rules