Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Merits of Keyboard Cover?

Merits of Keyboard Cover?
davcomp
Jul 29, 2002, 03:26 PM

Hello everyone. I just purchased a TiBook and have noticed the keys rubbing on the screen. So far, it has just been oil from my fingers and is easily removed, but I am worried that once school starts and it gets moved around that it could damage the screen.

How much good will a keyboard cover really do? Will it really help or will it just leave a bigger damaged spot on my screen? Also, what are some goods ones? I've looked at the leather one from OWC and one from MarWare, what do you all use and/or prefer? Thanks!
Drew - GO BOILERS!
http://www.davcomp.com/

euphras
Mac Elite
Jul 29, 2002, 03:48 PM

You dont have to throw away money and go for the leather thing. I just took a thin piece of cloth cutted it to the needed dimensions and place it over the bottom before closing it. Make sure that the framework (the lighter painted one) is also covered by the cloth. It prevents the screen frame from rubbing the base and getting wear marks.
Pat

Macintosh Quadra 950, Centris 610, Powermac 6100, iBook dual USB, Powerbook 667 DVI, Powerbook 867 DVI, MacBook Pro early 2011

atomium
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 29, 2002, 04:06 PM

I've tried everything. From leather to cloth and a dozen things in between. Nothing seems to work better, or be cheaper, than a single piece of paper.

-atomium

israces
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 29, 2002, 08:16 PM

I have a thing called a Perfect Clean cloth. It's used for cleaning things like screens and little electronic devices and all that. I put it on my keys when I close my PB and it does an excellent job of keeping crap off my screen. Also, should my screen get a smudge or something, I can use it to clean the screen without worrying about scratching. Look at <a href="http://www.fellowes.com" target="_blank">www.fellowes.com</a> for it. Or go to Sears and look for it by the PDAs. That's where I got mine.

<small>[ 07-29-2002, 08:20 PM: Message edited by: israces ]</small>
Backup your Backup

oeyvind
Senior User
Jul 29, 2002, 08:36 PM

Hmmm, I'm using a piece of A4 paper... fits just nice.

NeoMac
Mac Elite
Jul 29, 2002, 11:11 PM

Go to the local Office Depot and buy a 3COM micro-fiber cloth. It's only a couple bucks. Cut it to fit the keyboard. It works incredibly well. Our seven months iBook's screen still looks factory fresh -absolutely flawless.

If you cut the cloth properly, you'll end up with a keyboard cover piece and a nice big piece with which to wipe the screen; wipe it often.

At worst, only clean the screen with a cloth damp with WATER. Nothing else. All those 'screen cleaners' are just a disaster waiting to happen.
"Last time the French asked for more evidence, it rolled through France with a German flag." - David Letterman

atomium
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 30, 2002, 08:22 AM

A bit of warning, though. The more complex the solution, the more questions you may find yourself having to answer. When I tried the leather protector, I'd get this one at least once a week:

Them: What's that leather thing?
Me: Keyboard cover.
Them: Why?
Me: Umm, it keeps marks off the screen.
Them: What kind of marks?
Me: Oil from my fingers. It gets on the screen.
Them: Then don't touch your screen.
Me: No, when it's closed. The keys rub against the screen.
Them: Good lord! That's ridiculous.
Me: Well, it let them make the Powerbook that leeeeetle bit thinner.
Them: Typical Apple. Looks great, works like crap.

As you could guess, I got pretty sick of going through this. I'm sticking with the paper. Never had to explain it yet.

-atomium

zorn
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 2, 2002, 10:49 PM

Originally posted by atomium
A bit of warning, though. The more complex the solution, the more questions you may find yourself having to answer. When I tried the leather protector, I'd get this one at least once a week:
Agreed it is rediculous. When will Apple fix this? Does it happen with iBooks too?

I myself used to used to use a static free cloth but then got lazy .. and sure enough I now have perminate lines all over my screen .. on the plus side when I droped off my Ti to get the keyboard replaced (its crossing key signals .. very strange) the tech asked if I wanted a new screen? (I bought the extra MicroCenter LCD protection plan) We'll see if it all works out .. PB is flying to Apple next week.

Wonder if they will see a work order for new LCD / Keyboard for RevA Ti and just give me a new one
~ Mike
--
Personal Site: MikeZornek.com
Other Interests: WebDevWiki.com

Forum Links
Forum Rules