Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Ethernet for An Old Performa

Ethernet for An Old Performa
Red Wolf
Forum Regular
Apr 6, 2002, 12:58 PM

Anyone here know where I can track down an internal Ethernet card for an old Performa 575 (all-in-one)? I'm just wanting to connect my first Mac with my current network. I know of a $100 solution using an Ethernet to LocalTalk bridge but was hoping I could track down a cheaper internal Ethernet card. Thanks.
iBook G4/800 | 640MB | 60GB | AirPort Extreme | Bluetooth | Mac OS X 10.3.6
Sony Ericsson T610 | AirPort Express | Bluetake BT500

Paco500
Professional Poster
Apr 6, 2002, 06:18 PM

I can think of four options.

1. Do a google search for com slot ethernet adapter. Lots of places have them, and I've seen them for as little as $40. (I know this because I was just trying to find a com slot II ehternet card and the cheapest I found was $80. I thought less obsolete technology was cheaper )

2. ebay. They pop up from time to time.

3. Contact your local mac users group. They often have old equipment lying around and may be able to help.

4. Check with local school districts. Many have dead/obsolete macs lying around and if you find the right person, they may give you one.

Paco

buchrob
Forum Regular
Apr 7, 2002, 10:02 PM

The internal ethernet cards on the Performas were very model-specific (not interchangeable at all).

Apletalk <-> ethernet bridge: you will not be happy with the throughput, and it may actually be cheaper to upgrade your entire machine.

Good luck.

Paco500
Professional Poster
Apr 7, 2002, 10:44 PM

Originally posted by buchrob:
<STRONG>The internal ethernet cards on the Performas were very model-specific
</STRONG>
No they really weren't. It was either comm slot, com slot II, or perhaps a PDS (of which there was more variation)

The 575 has a comm slot, into which a comm slot ethernet or modem will go.

It also has a PDS slot- perhaps you could find a ethernet card for that, but you are safe with a comm slot ethernet card.

Paco

[ 04-07-2002: Message edited by: Paco500 ]

finboy
Apr 8, 2002, 04:15 PM

Originally posted by Paco500:
<STRONG>I can think of four options.

1. Do a google search for com slot ethernet adapter. Lots of places have them, and I've seen them for as little as $40. (I know this because I was just trying to find a com slot II ehternet card and the cheapest I found was $80. I thought less obsolete technology was cheaper )

2. ebay. They pop up from time to time.

3. Contact your local mac users group. They often have old equipment lying around and may be able to help.

4. Check with local school districts. Many have dead/obsolete macs lying around and if you find the right person, they may give you one.

Paco</STRONG>
The 575 should be able to use the LC-slot for ethernet, I don't think it had a comm slot.[I was wrong, I checked -- it does have a comm-slot.] You should get an LC ethernet card for it.

You can try MacResq or refurbmadness.com . SunRem might have a listing for what you need, too.

[ 04-08-2002: Message edited by: finboy ]

jeromep
Dedicated MacNNer
May 13, 2002, 04:49 AM

You should absolutly go CommSlot for your Ethernet card. It will work correctly out of the box, end of story. Possibly the need for drivers, but if you are running 7.6 or a little higher the OS might just have the drivers for the card in OT.

Mac user's rule of thumb: if Apple created a slot or connection for it, use it instead of a more generic solution. It reminds me of a service center which used to install PCI ethernet cards in Performa 5xxx and 6xxx machines when the better and more reliable solution was to install CommSlot II cards. Same goes for old Performa 6xx systems and Performa/LC 5xx systems (CommSlot in this case). Apple has generally not lead the unwashed masses it calls users/customers the wrong direction.

Forum Links
Forum Rules