Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Labels in the Finder -- shareware in development.

Labels in the Finder -- shareware in development.
lookmark
Mac Elite
Aug 19, 2002, 03:51 PM

For those who can't live without them in their lives, or workflow... it looks like a contextual menu plug-in for the Finder is being developed.

I haven't tried it yet, and it's still being worked on, but if you're interested in beta-testing this, check out the link below.

I'm not sure if the developer wants this in wide release, so I'm posting the thread link instead of the download link.

Ars Mac Archia thread

lookmark  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 20, 2002, 10:33 AM

Er, hate to bump my own thread, but after all the wailing and gnashing of teeth over the lack of labels for the past year, no one has anything to say...?

Terri?

JellyBeen
Senior User
Aug 20, 2002, 10:56 AM

Originally posted by lookmark:
Er, hate to bump my own thread, but after all the wailing and gnashing of teeth over the lack of labels for the past year, no one has anything to say...?

Terri?
Good implementation....I'm trying it as I speak...Just need to restart the finder after every label...I'm sure that will get fixed though...
You know, I think everyones asleep or are too tired since their bellies are full of Jaguar...
20"iMac intel 2.66 Duo: 4GB RAM : OS 10.6.6

chris.p
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 20, 2002, 11:00 AM

yea, this is great news- ive registered with ars technica so i can report some bugs-i used labels all the time, and have been missing them dearly, im not letting this come to nothing, if i can help just awaiting my confirmation from the ars mods.

it seems to work pretty damned well already, (10.1.5), even labeling partitions on 1 single drive. The only problem was when i tried to label a pre-burnt cd, whereby every label i tried to attach after that, it pasted the (coloured) cd icon to the files as well. I wouldnt normally label a preburnt cd, but i was testing it out also, the label colours do not show up in the context. menu, just the names.

thanks for the heads up on this one

chris.p
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 20, 2002, 11:05 AM

im not getting the finder restart problem, btw- they stick/change/unstick from the instance i choose the option.

waffffffle
Mac Elite
Aug 20, 2002, 11:43 AM

haha! I know Mihai!

Judge_Fire
Mac Elite
Aug 20, 2002, 11:58 AM

Great!

Hopefully it can evolve into something more like Keywords, which could be searched.

But hey, I'll happily settle for regular, good old Labels

Would've needed them just 5 min ago when sorting a number of photos...

J

Nonsuch
Professional Poster
Aug 20, 2002, 12:17 PM

Dammit, Terri better post here soon!
Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them.

-- Frederick Douglass, 1857

JellyBeen
Senior User
Aug 20, 2002, 12:19 PM

Originally posted by chris.p:
im not getting the finder restart problem, btw- they stick/change/unstick from the instance i choose the option.
Try changing the label on the same folder twice...what happens?
20"iMac intel 2.66 Duo: 4GB RAM : OS 10.6.6

Terri
Senior User
Aug 20, 2002, 02:43 PM

Originally posted by lookmark:

Terri?
I've been avoiding MacNN because it locks up IE so much. If I'm in 10 that is not a big deal, but most of the time I'm in 9, so a force quit doesn't always go so well

Can't believe the only board that locks up my Mac is a Mac board

Anyway this is a nice start. We need some way of sorting and finding by label so I guess adding that info to the comments field would be a work around,

Since it looks like it's just pasting a custom icon this would not work if you have placed a custom icon already. Not a big deal for me, but not real good either.

Also for programs that read and write labels the old right way like GoLive and SNAX this is not going to be compatible.

I just wish Apple would put the old labels back in.

Give us back Navigation Services, tabbed windows, the list just goes on�

Producer
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 20, 2002, 02:59 PM

"I've been avoiding MacNN because it locks up IE so much. "

Who uses IE anymore?

It's all about Chimera baby... get the latest nightly.... and hold on to your seat before using... as this is one fast browser... and I never have a problem with macnn...now theinquirer.net is another story...

as far as labels go...there is going to be a new file system coming up in the next major release...I expect after that is released they will have features based on it that will blow away "labels"

sandsl
Senior User
Aug 20, 2002, 03:04 PM

Works perfectly for me. Slight problem with Jagged Icons for a split second after you select a label but other than that great.

(Shame you can't select your own colors though, next release maybe)
Luke

MrBS
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 20, 2002, 03:08 PM

Originally posted by Terri:
Can't believe the only board that locks up my Mac is a Mac board
On a MS Browser...

Anyway, the only thing I really like about iPhoto is it's meta-data system. It would be nice if other Apple programs used it. Like iTunes or the finder.

It would be nice if I could have different 'labels' or 'tags' on the same file. "All files dealing with project A" may very well overlap with "files I need to work on soon" or "Pictures"
~BS

Nonsuch
Professional Poster
Aug 20, 2002, 03:18 PM

Originally posted by Producer:
as far as labels go...there is going to be a new file system coming up in the next major release...
Is that merely a supposition or does it come from a reliable source?
Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them.

-- Frederick Douglass, 1857

chris.p
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 20, 2002, 03:24 PM

-----

quote:

--------

yep, they still work, and custom icons work too- they just change shade, as they would in os9- this plugin doesnt change it to a new custom icon, as someone previously suggested- or if they do, they have all my mario64 icons stored in some secret folder, in all the different colours

lookmark  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 20, 2002, 03:54 PM

Originally posted by Nonsuch:

Is that merely a supposition or does it come from a reliable source?
Supposition, no doubt, but if you connect the dots with the rumors and facts w/r/t what's cooking at Apple right now (in personnel and philosophy) it does indeed look like a revamped filesystem and much expanded and enhanced metadata system (read as: labels, deluxe!) are coming, in the next eight to eighteen months.

In meantime, though, this looks like a very cleverly implemented addition. It's very much in development, folks, so send him some feedback.

El Pre$idente
Banned
Aug 20, 2002, 04:01 PM

It works fine the first time I choose a label but if I want to apply another color then I have to restart the Finder. This is with 10.2 Retail.

Synotic
Mac Elite
Aug 20, 2002, 05:33 PM

Originally posted by Producer:
"I've been avoiding MacNN because it locks up IE so much. "

Who uses IE anymore?

It's all about Chimera baby... get the latest nightly.... and hold on to your seat before using... as this is one fast browser... and I never have a problem with macnn...now theinquirer.net is another story...

as far as labels go...there is going to be a new file system coming up in the next major release...I expect after that is released they will have features based on it that will blow away "labels"
Did you even read what Terri said? He (i'm taking a guess since the name is unisex.. I am not sure on all the variations) said it was fine in OS X, but he uses Mac OS 9 most of the time, where IE is pretty much the only good solution.

Terri
Senior User
Aug 20, 2002, 07:04 PM

Originally posted by Synotic:
Did you even read what Terri said? He (i'm taking a guess since the name is unisex.. I am not sure on all the variations) said it was fine in OS X, but he uses Mac OS 9 most of the time, where IE is pretty much the only good solution.
hehe, I'm female, but anyway I am in system 9 most of the time.

I spend a great deal of time filling out forms on the web, has to do with building and submitting web sites. I really like the autofill feature of IE. Also all the drag and drop support that it has, both in bookmarks and saving graphics, text and pages.

It is also important that I use the same browser that most of my surfers use so that I know how my pages look and behave.

It is unbelivable that MacNN site crashes IE the way it does It cashed IE just now, I'm using my laptop and I'm in 10.

sandsl
Senior User
Aug 20, 2002, 07:11 PM

Originally posted by chris.p:
-----

quote:

--------

yep, they still work, and custom icons work too- they just change shade, as they would in os9- this plugin doesnt change it to a new custom icon, as someone previously suggested- or if they do, they have all my mario64 icons stored in some secret folder, in all the different colours
Your right, this 'app' opens up your icon, applies a color tint, and puts the new icon(with the tint) back on the file. It doesn't have a library of every possible icon in all the different colors!
Luke

Producer
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 20, 2002, 07:14 PM

ok i did not know that Terri was using os 9...just assumed since we are in an OS X forum that Terri used OS X... I will write OS 9 on the chalkboard 1000 times now and then go the corner of the room and face the wall for a couple of hours...

As far as the new file system comment. Apple hired the creator of the BE OS filesystem. So let's just assume he is there as one of his duties to create a filesystem (as appose to being a sushi chef)

also of note is

- that Mach allows for mutiple files systems
- microsoft is developing for BLACKCOMB (2005?) a new file system as well as some datebase like stuff built in.

Apple beat them with Quartz Extreme and at the rate OS X is advancing they will probably beat them with this too

Forum Links
Forum Rules