Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Data CD or VCD?

Data CD or VCD?
Red Wolf
Forum Regular
May 20, 2002, 10:52 AM

I have a collection of MPEG-1 and QuickTime movie video files that I would like to be able to send out to some friends. The files (mostly MPEG-1) average 4.5 minutes in length and 45MB in size. The sound with these files is crutialThe problem is several of my friends have PCs and they aren't sure of their machine's media capability. Being a pure Apple user since the Apple IIc my knowledge of multimedia on the PC side is rather limied. My question is should I send them data CDs with QuickTime files (which QuickTime for Windows should be able to read) or a Mac/PC VCD? My concerns are, in order of importance:

1. Universial (or near enough) capatability
2. Maintaining quality (29.97 FPS, 720x480 resolution)
3. Ease of production (iBook 500, Combo Drive, Toast Titanium 5)
4. The most video for my buck on a 700MB/80 minute CD-R

Any suggestions on a method other than a QuickTime data CD or a VCD are, of course, welcomed. Thanks.
iBook G4/800 | 640MB | 60GB | AirPort Extreme | Bluetooth | Mac OS X 10.3.6
Sony Ericsson T610 | AirPort Express | Bluetake BT500

jtc
Mac Enthusiast
May 20, 2002, 12:37 PM

Since you are sending them out to PC friends, I'd say rename the file with an .mpg extension and burn as a data CD. They won't need quicktime to play the file, WMP with handle it fine - but they could still use quicktime if they wanted. If the resolution is 740x480, then it's not a standard res for a VCD (I think that's the res. for XSVCDs, but they are mpeg-2 video) - and set top DVD players won't (AFAIK) play it, so there's no advantage to making it a VCD.

[ 05-20-2002: Message edited by: jtc ]

Forum Links
Forum Rules