Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > USB Mic & VirtualPC

USB Mic & VirtualPC
davcomp
Nov 28, 2000, 11:51 PM

I am getting a MacAlly iVoice and VirtualPC so that I can voice chat in yahoo and use dialpad.com. But, now I'm wondering if that will work after all. Has anyone gotten a USB microphone to work in VirtualPC?
Drew - GO BOILERS!
http://www.davcomp.com/

namannik
Senior User
Nov 29, 2000, 12:17 AM

My question is: has anybody gotten a USB microphone? I've been waiting for a long time for the iVoice or the iMic!

celloguy
Nov 29, 2000, 01:33 AM

The interesting thing to note, is that Macally no longer registers the ivoice as (coming soon) and that their system requirements have changed. By all indications, the ivoice might be shipping. I think I might just cancel my Griffin order.

namannik
Senior User
Nov 29, 2000, 02:00 PM

Smalldog Electronics shows two iVoices as being in stock.

namannik
Senior User
Nov 29, 2000, 05:09 PM

I have a question about the rquirements for the iMic that Macally has posted on their web page. It says that it requires OS 9.0.4, Sound Control panel v8.5.1, and Apple Audio Extension v1.0.6 or Apple Audio Extension v1.0.9. I have OS 9, but not those versions of the Control Panel or Extension. The Apple Software Updates say that the newest version of the Audio Extension is 1.0.5, which is what I have. So where can I get these newer versions?

NDBounce
Senior User
Nov 29, 2000, 08:54 PM

If you buy the latest version of IBM's ViaVoice for the Mac (the one with an iBook on the cover) it comes with a USB microphone!!! This is the first USB microphone I know of that definitely works on an iBook!

Woo hoo!

celloguy
Dec 8, 2000, 11:54 PM

I just got the ivoice, but I'm unable to get it working. I don't have the required software because it isn't available. Anyone have any ideas?

Help!

celloguy
Dec 9, 2000, 05:22 PM

Thought I'd answer my own question. Maybe someone else is in the same boat out there. Find someone who has the latest version of the OS, they must have bought a computer since July for this to be the case as the absolutely latest OS hasn't been released. Then load the audio extension on to your computer. BINGO. Then it should work. Anyone know how to deal with levels in the ivoice. It is TOO sensitive. It is peaking all over the place in Cubase.

Thanks

pathogen
Mac Elite
Dec 13, 2000, 02:24 AM

I tried my new macally ivoice with soundjam MP's 'record through audio input' first thing out of the box, for an mp3 broadcast of my voice. It worked. But... (and you knew there was a but)

It was far too sensitive, the exact opposite of the old plaintalk mics that came with the Power PC's and first G3's. The gain was through the roof. And then my G3 crashed.

Same problem with my Rev. A Tangerine ibook. Cubase 4 couldn't fix the gain problem, and the ibook crashed. The other problem is that Macally's 3 port hub, the new little one that draws its power from the USB port on your computer, couldn't handle the mic and any other USB device requiring computer voltage for power - the mic's draw is heavier than my kritter cam. grrr.

Yet in the store where I first tried it out, we used a brand new ibook DV SE, and it was flawless (no gain problem and showed up in the sound control panel with more identification than just "USB Audio"). The store assistant and I both noticed the box recommended OS 9.1. We thought it was a typo...

But what Macally says on their website (9.04 + the newest audio extensions) does in fact mean that most people will need OS 9.1.

And I, for one, can't wait. So... I'm having the store email me the sound extensions from the ibook I tried it on in the first place.

I really want to know if this has worked for anyone yet.

....I can barely wait to get a new workstation Mac next spring.

When you were young and your heart was an open book, you used to say "live and let live."
But if this ever changing world, in which we live in, makes you give in and cry, say "live and let die."

Forum Links
Forum Rules