Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > PB G4 800 MHz $2,799 !?!?!

PB G4 800 MHz $2,799 !?!?!
davcomp
Jul 26, 2002, 05:29 PM

How is this possible?

<a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2040797860" target="_blank">http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2040797860</a>

It is pre-sale, what does that mean? They have a good rating? HELP!?
Drew - GO BOILERS!
http://www.davcomp.com/

Babar
Jul 26, 2002, 06:09 PM

Read the whole text... you will now what is pre-sale.

The feedback seems to be thrustworthy.

Todd Corzett
Forum Regular
Jul 26, 2002, 06:10 PM

Check out a fourm over at AI in "Current Hardware". There was a guy talking about how he got jipped by someone with lots of good reviews. I think the biggest problem with this auction is that you pay for the computer and then wait up to 24 (basicaly 30) days for it to be received. After that period of time you have no real way to track him down if something does go wrong. Biggest key is to not pay by money order or wire transfer (expecially outside of the US) because they are next to imposible to track down once they are sent.

The price itself isn't too hard to believe though. That model is sold at an education price of $2999, UCLA has sales ont them (say $300?), coupled with a monitor/computer purchase (up to $500 savings), add on an employ discount or something simmilar you could sell one at that price and still make a proffit (even paying for shipping and eBay's 2.3%)

Personaly I wouldn't buy it from eBay unless it was a used product from an individual. I don't know if Apple would honor a warentee from eBay, because it doesn't have a recipt or anything - and wasn't from an authorised seller. Also, is it worth $200 to risk the chance you don't get the computer? For me... nope!

-Todd...

<small>[ 07-26-2002, 06:13 PM: Message edited by: Todd Corzett ]</small>

davcomp  (op)
Jul 26, 2002, 07:03 PM

Where can I get this model for $2,999? This is the 512mb of ram (single chip) model? On the education store from Apple it is listed as $3,571? Thanks for your help and advice though! I would really like to get ahold of something before school starts. I know, I know, a new revision may be soon. But my 800x600 iBook is getting a little slow with OS X and 80mb photoshop files!
Drew - GO BOILERS!

davcomp  (op)
Jul 26, 2002, 07:04 PM

Sorry! You're right, it is $3,007. I was thinking this was the highest end one. I apologize!
Drew - GO BOILERS!

Todd Corzett
Forum Regular
Jul 26, 2002, 07:41 PM

Where do you go to school? Go to store.apple.com and click on the "education" at the top of the screen (under the normal apple tabs). Enter your school's information into there and see if they get a discount. From what I understand you can order from Apple just like you were at school = education discounts.

-Todd...

davcomp  (op)
Jul 26, 2002, 08:05 PM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by Todd Corzett:
<strong>Where do you go to school? Go to store.apple.com and click on the "education" at the top of the screen (under the normal apple tabs). Enter your school's information into there and see if they get a discount. From what I understand you can order from Apple just like you were at school = education discounts.

-Todd...</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">I go to Purdue in West Lafayette, and the price on that powerbook is $3,007. It kind of makes me mad that different universities get different pricing.
Drew - GO BOILERS!

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 26, 2002, 09:00 PM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by davcomp:
<strong>I go to Purdue in West Lafayette, and the price on that powerbook is $3,007. It kind of makes me mad that different universities get different pricing.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">It's not like Apple plays favorites with universities, if that's what you're thinking. I'm pretty sure each university subsidizes student computer purchases a different amount.

gyc
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 26, 2002, 11:51 PM

Some schools also give you the educational institution price (which is even cheaper) when you buy it from the school instead of the educational individual price when you order it from the Apple Store.

Forum Links
Forum Rules