Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Sudden PowerBook Shutdown

Sudden PowerBook Shutdown
Red Wolf
Forum Regular
Apr 22, 2002, 12:04 PM

I've seen this problem with two G4/500 PowerBooks so far and I'm looking for some more info. When these machines are picked up to be moved they occasionally suddenly shutdown. My guess is that the battery is become disconnected from the PowerBook. I was wondering if anyone else had seen this problem and is there a way to remedy the situation short of finding a better fitting batter. Thanks.
iBook G4/800 | 640MB | 60GB | AirPort Extreme | Bluetooth | Mac OS X 10.3.6
Sony Ericsson T610 | AirPort Express | Bluetake BT500

+ spiral +
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 22, 2002, 12:21 PM

Originally posted by Red Wolf:
<STRONG>I've seen this problem with two G4/500 PowerBooks so far and I'm looking for some more info. When these machines are picked up to be moved they occasionally suddenly shutdown. My guess is that the battery is become disconnected from the PowerBook. I was wondering if anyone else had seen this problem and is there a way to remedy the situation short of finding a better fitting batter. Thanks.</STRONG>
We have had this issue with 2 machines in our office as well, both were G4 500. The first one (not mine) eventually wouldn't start up and he had to send it in to apple. Since it was plugged in all the time i think it had a fried power manager or something. Either way there were a bunch of parts fixed when he got it back from Apple.

Just the other day mine shut down completely out of the blue. It was plugged in and i was working and *poof* , mac no more on. Now i am having an issue with the clock resetting when i shut it off. I believe that my machine is destined for the same fate as the other and hope to be done with my project soon.

These powerbooks are pretty cheap in my opinion. I've used lots of flavors of powerbooks and on the G4 ive lost 3 keys, i have to press on the case to get cds to mount and now the power issue. These are all known issues.

I hope you don't have the same problem. Good luck. Keep me updated.

+ spiral +
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 22, 2002, 12:26 PM

<STRONG>I've seen this problem with two G4/500 PowerBooks so far</STRONG>
PS. I just wanted to list the things that were supposedly replaced on the G4:
P12 MLB ASSY(500mhz)
P12 PMU Flex Cable
P12 PCBA, PMU ORIN
P12 MYLAR, Keyboard

... for what it's worth.

+ spiral +
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 22, 2002, 12:36 PM

<STRONG>I've seen this problem with two G4/500 PowerBooks so far</STRONG>
PS. I just wanted to list the things that were supposedly replaced on the G4:
P12 MLB ASSY(500mhz)
P12 PMU Flex Cable
P12 PCBA, PMU ORIN
P12 MYLAR, Keyboard

... for what it's worth.

Red Wolf  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 22, 2002, 12:55 PM

Well the shutdowns I'm seeing are when the units are unplugged and being lifted off of a flat surface. Hense why I believe it is the battery not fitting right.

Camelot
Mac Elite
Apr 22, 2002, 01:59 PM

<STRONG>Well the shutdowns I'm seeing are when the units are unplugged and being lifted off of a flat surface. Hense why I believe it is the battery not fitting right.</STRONG>
The early machines suffered from loose battery connections and flexing the machine could cause the contacts to separate, causing the problem you're experiencing.

Apple have revised the battery contacts in newer batteries to resolve the problem. In addition, if you're careful, bending the contacts outwards slightly will ensure a tighter contact between PowerBook and battery and stop this from occurring.
Gods don't kill people - people with Gods kill people.

Cellery
Mac Elite
Apr 22, 2002, 02:02 PM

This sounds like the loose battery problem, which is well documented in the first-gen TiBooks.

More information

Red Wolf  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 22, 2002, 02:45 PM

Thanks guys. That was exactly the kind of confirmation I needed.

Forum Links
Forum Rules