Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > 10.x & Sound

10.x & Sound
davcomp
Nov 4, 2001, 05:22 PM

Hi. I've been this problem ever since 10.0 all the way through 10.1. The problem is that on my 3 piece labtec speakers, iTunes (or ANYTHING else even alert sounds) sounds REALLY crappy. However, I can go into OS 9 and play the same songs/alerts and they sound rich and full with plenty of bass. Then I go back to 10.1 and it sounds sorta like it is trying to smash all the sounds into a hole the size of a straw. I mean everthing is crappy, not just bass, it all is! There is hardly any bass at all, it just comes out as low thuds and clicks, it sucks. Is anyone else having this problem? I have an iBook (firewire). Let me know if there is ANYTHING i can do, i love music and 10.1, but damnit so far they just don't get along!
Drew - GO BOILERS!
http://www.davcomp.com/

davcomp  (op)
Nov 4, 2001, 05:24 PM

Update, I downloaded iTunes 2.01 and sound still sucks. Anymore ideas anyone?
Drew - GO BOILERS!
http://www.davcomp.com/

Kevlar
Nov 5, 2001, 01:54 AM

What Labtec speakers do you have?

[EDIT: Just cleaned up all the duplicate posts. Watch that Reload button next time...]

[ 11-05-2001: Message edited by: Millennium ]
Intel iMac 1.8
Logitech Mx 7000
Firewave
Logitech z-5300 5.1

Mactoid
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 5, 2001, 02:31 AM

Hello!..lo..lo..lo...
Wow, cool echo in here, eh Kevlar?
We hope your rules and wisdom choke you / Now we are one in everlasting peace
-- Radiohead, Exit Music (for a film)

rogerkylin
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 5, 2001, 09:22 AM

There have been several threads on this since 10.0.0 came out. You are not alone. It seems to happen on some ibooks and imacs. Using the equalizer in iTunes 2 helps a little bit, but still nowhere as good as 9.

I really hoped this would be fixed in 10.1, but you're right....still lousy sound. I don't understand why apple is having so much trouble getting the sound right on a product that is only two years old.

Oh...it is not your labtech speakers. It is true for all speakers.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Nov 5, 2001, 09:44 AM

Close, Kevlar, but no one beats my record of 10 duplicates

Anyway, I'm just here to clean up the mess, but I'll post my $0.02 while I'm here. Aside from checking your connections, there have been one or two people who have had problems like this as well. I'm not sure exactly what is causing this, but you aren't alone.

It could have something to do with that wierd video-out/headphone port on the iBook. While it's one of the cooler ideas to come out of Apple in a long time, it may not be supported very well in OSX yet. Anyone else got any ideas on this?
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

Forum Links
Forum Rules