Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Can files kept on FAT partition be indexed by Spotlight?

Can files kept on FAT partition be indexed by Spotlight?
Abbas
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 7, 2007, 11:50 AM

I like PC games which requires quite a bit of my time inside Windows using Bootcamp. Thus, I use Vista frequently as well and being on an Exchange server allows me to synchronize email and contacts without any issues.

However, I also want to be able to access my music, pictures and documents when inside Windows. I have a hard drive that I can partition using FAT32 so that its Readable and Writable by both Windows and OSX. I can them move my data to this drive. Question is- will Spotlight index this drive?

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Oct 7, 2007, 02:46 PM

That's a good question. I don't really know.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Oct 7, 2007, 03:13 PM

It doesn't seem to do it when I make a FAT-formatted disk image, but maybe it would different if it were non-removable storage.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

brokenjago
Mac Elite
Oct 7, 2007, 05:40 PM

Yes, they can be. Does Vista even let you run on FAT?
Linkinus is king.

Abbas  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 7, 2007, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by brokenjago View Post
Yes, they can be. Does Vista even let you run on FAT?
Vista is installed on the 3rd drive- so three drives in total. One for Mac, one for Vista (NTFS) and finally one for sharing data between the two.

Thanks for all the replies

-a

Abbas  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 8, 2007, 01:06 PM

Two more questions regarding the above-

Can the "Users"folder reside on a seperarate partition that is FAT32 formatted? If this is easily possible then I can point to those same directories in Vista and make data sharing between the two drives a lot easier.

Secondly, is there a shortcut or app that can QUICKLY allow me to switch between Startup Disks? Right now, I have to open Sys Prefs, then double click the Startup disk icon and then select. A drop-down like the Multiple users icon on the top menu bar would be awesome.

I know holding down the ALT key at boot allows me to chose the drive but my Wireless Logitech keyboard sometimes works with this and sometimes doesnt. Alternatively, is there a way to force the screen at boot up to seclect the OS every time you restart with an auto-timer and a default O/S- kinda like Windows boot menu for different versions of MS O/S.

-a

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Oct 8, 2007, 01:09 PM

You don't want to put OS X's Users folder on a FAT drive, if that's what you're asking.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Forum Links
Forum Rules