Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Gaming News & Discussion

Gaming News & Discussion (Page 58)
Leonard
Professional Poster
Jun 13, 2013, 09:58 AM

Where's Dakar at these days? Vacation?
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jun 13, 2013, 11:15 AM

I assume he went on a month-long bender after getting his special stars and it's finally caught up to him.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 13, 2013, 05:06 PM

Wonder what deal they made with Sony for Blue-Ray. Must be a payment per console.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Jun 14, 2013, 10:53 PM

If any PS3 users are looking to pick up The Last of Us. Newegg is selling through eBay for $45 new.

The Last of US PlayStation3 Game Sony 711719981749 | eBay

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 17, 2013, 12:13 PM

The i7, with 16G of RAM and a GTX 770 with 4GB has taken the ethernet connection of the Xbox 360.

LONG LIVE PC GAMING !!!

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 17, 2013, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by exca1ibur View Post
If any PS3 users are looking to pick up The Last of Us. Newegg is selling through eBay for $45 new.

The Last of US PlayStation3 Game Sony 711719981749 | eBay
Damn! I missed out. I was thinking of picking that game up.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

P
Jun 17, 2013, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
The i7, with 16G of RAM and a GTX 770 with 4GB has taken the ethernet connection of the Xbox 360.

LONG LIVE PC GAMING !!!
First up, go to humblebundle.com and sign up. They have sales all the time now, not just indie stuff. If you haven't played PC games in a while, you can get a lot of gold 2 years old games for $1.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 17, 2013, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by P View Post
First up, go to humblebundle.com and sign up. They have sales all the time now, not just indie stuff. If you haven't played PC games in a while, you can get a lot of gold 2 years old games for $1.
Done. Cheers.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jun 19, 2013, 03:47 PM

Anyone update their PS3? I booted it up today to play some Red Dead Redemption but found that my last autosave was on May 28th when I just played yesterday, looks like I lost all of that game time. After my next autosave I realized the console's date was set to May and it couldn't autoset. Also I couldn't log in to PSN.

Then I find out that the latest PS3 update has been bricking consoles. The console can't set its own time. Maybe it's related?

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 19, 2013, 04:52 PM

Microsoft is reversing course on used games and on-line requirements for XBox One:
Microsoft reverses controversial game licensing policies [Updated] | Ars Technica

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 19, 2013, 04:58 PM

What a joke of a company. First the start button in Win8 and now this.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 19, 2013, 05:18 PM

Sony have to do something. IMHO the price difference isn't enough to make the PS4 'hot'.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 19, 2013, 06:52 PM

I guess now they should call it the XBox 180.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 19, 2013, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by lpkmckenna View Post
I guess now they should call it the XBox 180.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 20, 2013, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by lpkmckenna View Post
Microsoft is reversing course on used games and on-line requirements for XBox One:
Microsoft reverses controversial game licensing policies [Updated] | Ars Technica
Great. Now all they need to do is offer a "Kinnect Free" system for the same price as a PS4 and everything should be alright.

It will be interesting to see what EA does after this announcement. Will they re-implement Online Passes?

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jun 20, 2013, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by Stogieman View Post
Great. Now all they need to do is offer a "Kinnect Free" system for the same price as a PS4 and everything should be alright.
Seriously, though I will have to listen to both machines running before making my decision, I can't suffer another loud-ass Xbox in my living room.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Jun 20, 2013, 05:32 PM

Or maybe they planned this all along? The initial rollout would be horrendously bad and everyone would hate it, but when they reverse direction and fix a couple features, everyone forgets that they're putting a camera in your living room to watch you and collect as much data on you as possible.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jun 24, 2013, 12:30 PM

For those of you wondering about my absence, I underwent major surgery three weeks ago and am still recovering.

Also, lol@ms

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 24, 2013, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
For those of you wondering about my absence, I underwent major surgery three weeks ago and am still recovering.
What size are they?

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jun 24, 2013, 12:49 PM

Oh my, I figured it was either hospitalization or you were getting laid on the reg.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 24, 2013, 02:23 PM

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 24, 2013, 03:46 PM

Anyone think Naughty Dog will bring Last of US to the PS4? If they upscale it (textures and models), it could be a great system seller IMHO.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jun 24, 2013, 06:28 PM

Also, lol@ms
Holy crap, brother...

Well, I hope seeing you post here means that your recovery is going well. Here's hoping for a fast full recovery.

Kevin Bogues
Senior User
Jun 24, 2013, 09:52 PM

Also, lol@ms
Been absent but still lurking as I've been extremely busy (moved almost 5 states) but this post is enough to make me post, Dakar hope all is well brother and wish you all the best in recovery

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Jun 24, 2013, 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a View Post
Anyone think Naughty Dog will bring Last of US to the PS4? If they upscale it (textures and models), it could be a great system seller IMHO.
This game is great! I'm really enjoying it.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 25, 2013, 08:24 AM

Obviously, best wishes from this side of the pond for a speedy recovery.

Also, regarding 'Greatness Awaits' PS4 commercial, did anyone catch a "funny" line.?

Is SONY asking for trouble.?

subego
Clinically Insane
Jun 25, 2013, 05:31 PM

Also, lol@ms
Ouch! Get better!

subego
Clinically Insane
Jun 25, 2013, 05:33 PM

Also, what kind of recovery makes someone post less?

Did they pry open your mitts?

subego
Clinically Insane
Jun 25, 2013, 09:32 PM

Never mind. I figured it out.

andi*pandi
Jun 26, 2013, 08:46 AM

aw, I was hoping for carmen sandiego game news.

but I'm glad dakar made it out of surgery alive and posting!

Leonard
Professional Poster
Jun 26, 2013, 11:44 AM

Yeah, get well soon, Dakar, so you can get back to posting and gaming!
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

subego
Clinically Insane
Jun 26, 2013, 04:49 PM

Where in the world is Dakar Ruralpennsylvania?

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jun 28, 2013, 03:42 PM

What size are they?
This man deserves a round of applause. That joke was in my holster.

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
Oh my, I figured it was either hospitalization or you were getting laid on the reg.
We know which one was more likely.

Originally Posted by Kevin Bogues View Post
Been absent but still lurking as I've been extremely busy (moved almost 5 states) but this post is enough to make me post, Dakar hope all is well brother and wish you all the best in recovery
Let me guess. You went south.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jul 1, 2013, 06:56 PM

Analysis: Xbox 360 poised to pass Wii in US sales by year’s end | Ars Technica

The power of kinect vs a console that was like a virus.

Xbox President Don Mattrick leaving Microsoft to become Zynga CEO [updated] | Ars Technica
This high-profile departure so soon after Microsoft's major PR offensive for the Xbox One (and so soon before the launch of that console) does not exactly project confidence on the company's part. However, Mattrick did recently get in hot water with some gamers. During a televised interview, he said that players who couldn't get Internet connectivity could still buy an Xbox 360 rather than an Xbox One. Of course, that was before Microsoft changed its mind about a variety of licensing and connectivity requirements for the Xbox One, a turnaround that was announced to the world via a statement by... Don Mattrick.

Mattrick joined Microsoft in 2007 after serving as president of Electronic Arts for a number of years. He took over the position from Peter Moore, who ironically went on to serve at EA Sports and eventually as chief operating officer for the major publisher.
Zynga has confirmed this report in a press release, saying Mattrick will take over for Pincus as CEO on July 8. Pincus will remain with the company as chairman of the board and chief product officer.

"Don is unique in the game business," Pincus said in a statement. "He can execute in multiple domains—hardware, software, and network, and he's been the person responsible for game franchises like Need for Speed, FIFA, and The Sims. He's one of the top executives in the overall entertainment business and he's a great coach who has inspired people to do their best work and build strong, productive teams. He deeply understands the value of a network and the importance of creating lifelong consumer relationships."
Enjoy that sinking ship, Don.

---

Since I have some free time on my hands, here's what I'm playing.

Endless Space on Steam

I think most of you would find it boring as ****.

Edit: Oh and I forgot to mention, I registered my gamer tag on PSN right after the PS4 price announcement.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 1, 2013, 11:11 PM

Stupid PSN won't allow me to change my gamer tag.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jul 2, 2013, 02:14 AM

So the free game on Xbox Live to replace Fable 3... at E3 they mentioned AAA titles like Assasins Creed 2 and Halo 3. The PS+ game this month is Battlefield 3... The free Xbox super AAA title is... Defense Grid: The Awakening, an 800 point Arcade title (nope, I've never heard of it either...). Games with Gold - two bonus games a month with Xbox Live Gold - Xbox.com.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

P
Jul 2, 2013, 06:03 AM

Since I have some free time on my hands, here's what I'm playing.

Endless Space on Steam

I think most of you would find it boring as ****.
I've played Endless Space, and I'd like to return to it some time. Right now I'm trying to wrap my head around Crusader Kings II. When it works, it's great, but then you're tripped up by some inheritance rule you never knew existed.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 2, 2013, 06:16 AM

Edit: Oh and I forgot to mention, I registered my gamer tag on PSN right after the PS4 price announcement.
Since the 180°, I wonder if I'll not get an Xbox ONE. I just want to know if the Kinect can be covered or hacked so as not to send or see anything. Although I think that I'm through with online FPS stuff. I profited from the Blops 2 double XP to rank up and then disconnected the Xbox and put it away.

I need a first person, no need to be online, open world game on the PC that I haven't played on the Xbox. Tempted to get Metro.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jul 2, 2013, 03:38 PM

I need a first person, no need to be online, open world game on the PC that I haven't played on the Xbox. Tempted to get Metro.
Did you play the first one? It's not open-world, not in the least, it's a very linear game (not that there's anything wrong with that). Last Light is amazing, though I doubt it would give you more than 15hrs of gameplay.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 2, 2013, 03:53 PM

No I didn't. Didn't realise that Metro wasn't open world. Any suggestions?

P
Jul 2, 2013, 04:33 PM

Well, what have you played? The best are Fallout 3 and NV, Skyrim and Oblivion, but I assume you have played all of them since they all had console releases. For PC-only games, then... I know some people played The Old Republic as a single-player game and enjoyed it, but you do need to be online.

The ones I can think of are a few years old. Stalker and the sequel are interesting games. The Witcher and its sequel are kinda-sorta open world (there are episodes, but each episode is open world. Dragon Age: Origins, even if you have to install Origin to run it (yuck). Just avoid DA2 like the plague.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jul 2, 2013, 09:06 PM

Stalker and the sequel are interesting games.
STALKER had two sequels. Clear Sky (2nd game) is not very good, but Call of Pripyat (3rd game, released in 2010) is indeed a very good game and completely open-world. I suggest avoiding the english dub version and instead downloading an english text and subtitle patch and playing with the original Russian dialogue.

He definitely played Skyrim and I think F3, but I'm not sure about New Vegas. At any rate all of those Bethesda games are more enjoyable on the PC for loading times alone.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 3, 2013, 02:37 AM

Yeah, already did Skyrim. Played Fallout 3 on the Xbox - didn't get into it as much as I should have. Call of Pripyat is cheap! I'll get it.

Cheers.

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 3, 2013, 02:51 AM

So Xbox Live had a 1 day special sale for games on demand...

Max Payne 3 - $10
Assassin's Creed 3 - $15 (bought this!)
Far Cry 3 - $20 (bought this!)
Borderlands 2 - $10

Check out the rest of the games that are one sale for the rest of the week...

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 3, 2013, 10:55 AM

P
Jul 4, 2013, 04:27 PM

Yeah, already did Skyrim. Played Fallout 3 on the Xbox - didn't get into it as much as I should have. Call of Pripyat is cheap! I'll get it.

Cheers.
If you're looking for deals, gog.com is finishing up its sale - about 16 hours left as I write this. GOG used to stand for Good Old Games, but these days it's newer games as well. The aforementioned Witcher 2 is $5.99.

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 5, 2013, 12:31 AM

The aforementioned Witcher 2 is $5.99.
It's $9.99 today only on X-Box GOD.

X-Box is finally having some sweet deals for digital purchases! Check out the ones listed today...

Left 4 Dead 2 - $9.99
Forza Horizon - $14.99 (get this if you love racing games!)
Orange Box - $4.99
Crysis 3 - $19.99

I hear Tomb Raider will be on sale tomorrow for $20.

Rumor
Jul 10, 2013, 01:08 PM

I really need a bigger HD.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

P
Jul 12, 2013, 05:43 AM

Well, related to that... The Steam summer sale is up, with daily deals.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jul 12, 2013, 05:53 AM

If you want to play Deus Ex: The Fall on your jailbroken iPhone/Pod/Pad, this happens...
Deus Ex: The Fall jams your gun on jailbroken iOS devices | Joystiq

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

Forum Links
Forum Rules