Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > OS9 will soon be officially "unbootable"

OS9 will soon be officially "unbootable"
Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 10, 2002, 12:37 PM

Saw it on MacNN. How do you feel about that?

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

mrmister
Mac Elite
Sep 10, 2002, 04:05 PM

Game over.

TheGuru
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 13, 2002, 12:39 AM

I haven't used OS9 for over a year now, Why would I want Apple to support a legacy operating system and thus slow down development on OSX?

It's time to move on. As far as those going "but it will cost me heaps to upgrade all my software. I am going to Windows instead" - what a laugh - you think your Windows cross-grades are going to be free?

Sawtooth2000
Forum Regular
Sep 27, 2002, 12:36 PM

It's sad how OS 9 is still so superior to OS X in so many ways. Most importantly, speed.

There are tons of machines that run perfect, fast, even on 9 that as soon as you boot into X, become Wintel 286's...

Oh well...

villalobos
Mac Elite
Sep 28, 2002, 02:10 PM

Originally posted by Sawtooth2000:
It's sad how OS 9 is still so superior to OS X in so many ways. Most importantly, speed.

There are tons of machines that run perfect, fast, even on 9 that as soon as you boot into X, become Wintel 286's...

Oh well...
That's the point: you will still be able to boot your old machines with OS 9 (if you so wish), but the NEW machines will not boot OS 9. I think that is the policy.

This said, if you get anything faster than 500 MHz, there ABSOLUTELY no reason to prefer OS 9 to OS X.

Villa

Avon
Senior User
Oct 12, 2002, 05:13 PM

Originally posted by Sawtooth2000:

Oh well...
OS X is FAR superior to 9 in every way. Try it and you will never go back.

New hardware will not boot into os 9. No one is takeing away your beloved 9 dont sweat.

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Oct 14, 2002, 01:28 AM

Originally posted by Avon:

New hardware will not boot into os 9. No one is takeing away your beloved 9 dont sweat.
Right but its a huge pain to have to buy Photoshop 7 when i already have 6. I too have been almost strictly a X user but booting to classic is a must when I want to use some programs.

There's gotta be a hack for the machines made after Jan 2003. Unless they change processors I don't see how it can't be worked around.

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

Cipher13
Oct 15, 2002, 09:11 AM

Originally posted by Avon:

You wish buddy.

When I need to do serious work, I get out of OSX, and back to OS9.

Final Cut Pro, Photoshop, Bryce, etc.

OSX simply cannot handle those without top-of-the-line machines right now. My G4 400 in OS9 keeps up with, and even eclipses the dual 1GHz in OSX.

bstone
Mac Elite
Oct 29, 2002, 03:16 AM

Originally posted by Cipher13:

You wish buddy.

When I need to do serious work, I get out of OSX, and back to OS9.

Final Cut Pro, Photoshop, Bryce, etc.

OSX simply cannot handle those without top-of-the-line machines right now. My G4 400 in OS9 keeps up with, and even eclipses the dual 1GHz in OSX.
More junk from the local nutso.

pete.z
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 29, 2002, 07:19 AM

They should ditch OS-9 after they get X eady for use....not sooner.
This is going to cost customers again.
MOSTLY HARMLESS

http://www.macfreak.nl

Cipher13
Nov 5, 2002, 05:13 AM

Originally posted by bstone:

More junk from the local nutso.
...nice intelligent response, as usual...

( Last edited by Cipher13; Nov 5, 2002 at 05:18 AM. )

clebin
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 5, 2002, 01:43 PM

You're all too slow... Apple already blocked me from installing OS 9.

Since installing Jaguar, I've tried booting from my OS 9.0.4 CD, my 9.1 and my 10.0 CD. No way, not today.

I've even tried booting with the CD in my external CD writer. Unless ALL those CD's are suddenly broken, then Apple has decided what I do with my machine.

That REALLY does my ****ing head in. I paid for the computer - I paid for the software. It's mine, I own it all.

This means I can't install Toast Titanium, which I paid for.

And more serious, I can't repartition my drive because the OS X installer doesn't have that (BASIC!) functionality.

I'm sure I'm not the only one and there should be people camping on Apple's lawn over this. It's a gross abuse of user's loyalty.

And they say there isn't a good argument for Linux...

Yours seriously f-cked off,
Chris

Eug
Clinically Insane
Nov 8, 2002, 12:47 AM

That's strange. On my iBook, OS 9 installs fine over X.2.

As for Photoshop 6, it works in Classic.

Anyways, it seems OS 9 is losing popularity fast. This forum is almost devoid of meaningful OS 9 threads.

hyperizer
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 8, 2002, 01:12 PM

Originally posted by clebin:
Since installing Jaguar, I've tried booting from my OS 9.0.4 CD, my 9.1 and my 10.0 CD. No way, not today.
What machine do you have? Supposedly the cable-selected drives in the new Quicksilvers cause some problems with older system discs.

mikerally
Senior User
Nov 9, 2002, 04:40 PM

Once Installing Jaguar - you need to boot from a Mac OS 9.2.2 CD, not 9.0.x or 9.1.

And yes you can repartition you drive after booting from the Mac OS X installer CD, open Disk Utility from the Installer Menu, don't click Continue because you can't access that menu after then.

velocitychannel
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 9, 2002, 08:34 PM

But I loaded OS 9 onto my iPod and booted into it for the first time a few days ago and the speed is unreal. I have been using X exclusively for over a year and recently upgraded to Jag. Even on my TiBook 400, Jag is just too damn slow. Good thing I kept all my Classic apps.

Now I am thinking of reformating and just installing OS9 until I upgrade to a faster Mac, which is not any time soon.

It is a shame that my laptop is less than a year and a half old and it can't run X properly.

Question: Is there a way to use command - H to hide apps in OS9, the same way I used to in X?

hyperizer
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 11, 2002, 07:09 PM

Originally posted by velocitychannel:
Question: Is there a way to use command - H to hide apps in OS9, the same way I used to in X?
I don't believe so, but you can option-click to hide an app when you switch away from it.

clebin
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 15, 2002, 07:57 AM

Sorry I should have said I have a TiBook 500. I'm using standard OS 9 rather than the Powerbook CD which is a few hundred miles away.

Originally posted by mikerally:
Once Installing Jaguar - you need to boot from a Mac OS 9.2.2 CD, not 9.0.x or 9.1.

Is this definitely the problem?

That's ridiculous - Apple shouldn't be doing stuff like this to your firmware. I don't have a bootable 9.2.2 and never did. I have an 9.2.2 update CD, but that's no good.

Lucky I still have my Beige G3, also a few hundred miles away. I'll try to install on that, update to 9.2.2 and copy everything across.

Any reason why this wouldn't work?

Thanks everyone.
Chris

eddiecatflap
Baninated
Nov 30, 2002, 05:59 AM

..i'm with cipher on this.

...9 just works , x seems to be pain just to figure out.

..if it ain't broke , don't fix it. - a seminal saying about a situation we all seem to see so many times.

..if i could get my net connection up easily i'd be happy - otherwise forgeddaboudit.

babywriter
Dec 1, 2002, 01:45 AM

I recently went back to OS 9.2 after spending several months in OS X. I will probably stay there for the foreseeable future, even though my 466 mHz G4 has plenty of horsepower for Jaguar.

Why, you ask? Here's why:

1) Stupid printing problems. With my LaserJet 1200 (a fairly common printer), I found it almost impossible to print from Classic and OSX at the same time. For some inane reason, the LJ 1200 drivers in Classic block OSX print jobs...and they just disappear into the ether. I don't care whose fault it is - a "next-generation" operating system should be able to get printing right. I refuse to reboot Classic just to print.

2) Just got a Microtek 3800 scanner for less than half retail price. Great machine..but guess what? The driver software is OS 9. So is the version of Photoshop LE that ships with it. In fact, except for Mail, IE, and some of my digital camera software, all of my existing apps are Classic Mac OS. Until this changes, I don't see any compelling reason to stay in X.

3) Weird problems with Mail refusing passwords and connecting to mail servers. I got tired of futzing with it and transferred everything back to Outlook Express (it took me a week to figure out how to do it, but I got it done). Now everything works flawlessly.

4) My daughter is taking online classes through Apex Learning. I tried to set her up in OS X, but the multimedia components (i.e. RealOne Player) aren't mature enough/compatible with their setup. I spent a couple of hours trying to get it to work, then gave up.

I am not a newbie. I have been using Macs since 1987, both in business and personal use. But until OS X runs as well as OS 9, I won't be switching. And if Apple doesn't let me boot into OS 9 after January, I won't be buying a new machine for a while either.

I like to fiddle around with my system as much as the next guy, but sooner or later you have to get real work done. For me, the place to do that is still OS 9.

Eriamjh  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 2, 2002, 01:13 PM

Things have settled since I first posted this thread. I don't use 9 for anything now except playing with old apps. Jaguar does everything I need. Even my crappy USB CF reader works in Jag (with new drivers finally available).

As for not being able to boot your original OS9 cds that came with the machine, Apple should provide free 9.2.x cds for those people who got screwed by Jagaur. But at least you can buy OS9 for $20 through them.

Can you boot 9.2 then use a 9.0 CD to install 9.0 (like through a FW cd?). I have a 9.2.1 cd and it still boots my machine, but I betcha the next major upgrade (10.3) will disable that too.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

absmiths
Mac Elite
Dec 2, 2002, 04:51 PM

Originally posted by Cipher13:

...nice intelligent response, as usual...

Your posts are so tiresome. I use Jaguar on a Beige G3/300, and it works fine. If I can tolerate that, surely your G4/400 is useable? Comparing ANY OS X compatible Mac to a 286 only emphasizes that you don't remember what a 286 was really like. I suppose next people will start saying that their machine runs X at Commodore 64 speeds...

BTW, I do what you call serious work - that is, I have deadlines, I get paid, I spend at least a hundred hours a month doing freelance work on my Ti667 - using my G3 as a second build environment and as a group server, and I don't have any complaints.

BTW^2, I used the G3 full time with PB, 10.0 and 10.1 for a full year before I finally bought my Ti.

lookmark
Mac Elite
Dec 5, 2002, 01:14 PM

Originally posted by velocitychannel:

Your best bet is to set up a macro, using (if you're running OS 9) the excellent -- if complex -- OS 9 app KeyQuencer/KeyQuencer Lite.

If you're running Classic, Keyboard Maestro, Youpi Key, Key Xing and Hot Key will all do the trick.

Or option-click away.

bens1901
Dec 5, 2002, 02:54 PM

I spoke to a friend who is at Apple and he told me that the new machines will not have OS9 pre-installed on them. However, you will probably be able to download something that will let you have OS9 alongside OSX. Basically, it sounds like the brand new Mac will not have OS9, but with some tinkering you can get it. I personally think they should continue to offer both OSs with new computers. Although I do see a reason for Apple to want to try and make one OS a common system for Mac Users. If Users don't go to OSX, then there may not be much incentive for software companies to make products that really use the OSX features.

Person Man
Professional Poster
Dec 5, 2002, 03:24 PM

Originally posted by Eriamjh:
As for not being able to boot your original OS9 cds that came with the machine, Apple should provide free 9.2.x cds for those people who got screwed by Jagaur. But at least you can buy OS9 for $20 through them.
This is ABSOLUTELY NOT true! I have an older (Pismo) PowerBook G3 that came with 8.6 and I installed 10.2.2 on it... I can still boot from an OS 9.1 CD (or even 8.6) just fine.

I think the confusion is that the newest Macs (that come with 9.2.x) won't boot anything earlier.

Forum Links
Forum Rules