Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Apple Pro Mouse, I Love You!

Apple Pro Mouse, I Love You!
Footy
Mac Elite
Sep 20, 2002, 10:21 PM

I really tried to buy a new Macally 2 button w/scroll wheel mouse tonight but I just couldn't bring my self to do it.

I was visiting my sister a few weeks ago and used their windows box to surf MacNN. I didn't realize it till later but I really liked that 2 button and especially the scroll wheel. It was the only thing that computer had going for it.

So for the last week I've been telling myself that I'm going to buy one but I just couldn't do it while browsing the mice at CompUSA. I like the Macalley because the scroll wheel seemed to be the smoothest.

What's wrong with me!!!??? I think in the back of my mind I wouldn't be the hard core Mac fan I think I am if I go 3rd party in the mouse area or something. I don't know. It might have been a lot easier if my Apple Pro mouse was broke maybe but Apple makes such a strong little mouse!

I'll do it tomorrow! I will! I will!

Damn it! Steve Jobs has me in his back pocket!

daimoni
Occasionally Quoted
Sep 20, 2002, 10:40 PM

( Last edited by daimoni; May 8, 2004 at 05:56 AM. )

Raman
Mac Elite
Sep 20, 2002, 11:06 PM

It's just a freaking mouse, man.. get over it.

Footy  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 20, 2002, 11:09 PM

Originally posted by daimoni:
Hardcore Mac heads use the Microsoft IntelliMouse Explorer... or something else that has multiple buttons and can scroll.

But to each their own. I'm happy you found a mice you like. Rock on, rock on.
I'll give the Microsoft product another look but the scroll wheel seemed a bit flimsy. Maybe because it was the display model.

2 buttons with a wheel will be plenty for now, remember I'm having issues moving up from a one button right now.

starman
Clinically Insane
Sep 20, 2002, 11:27 PM

The scroll wheel on the new one feels flimsy, yes (I just bought one), but so what? God, I hate the single-button mouse. I couldn't wait to get rid of it.

Right-click->Move To Trash
Right-Click->Get Info

Scroll wheel up/down.

I love it.

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 21, 2002, 12:05 AM

Hardcore Mac heads use the Microsoft IntelliMouse Explorer...
That would be me then.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Sep 21, 2002, 01:10 AM

Logitech mice seem to work well under OS X (or under OS 9 using USB Overdrive; Logitech's software sucks). And getting a Logitech isn't even being that treacherous: most Apple mice over the years were made by Logitech, including about half of the "puck" mice and more recent Pro mice.

tooki

ReggieX
Professional Poster
Sep 21, 2002, 01:30 AM

Hardcore Mac heads use the Microsoft IntelliMouse Explorer
Nope.
The Lord said 'Peter, I can see your house from here.'

oVeRmInD911
Senior User
Sep 21, 2002, 02:03 AM

My Apple Pro Mouse broke.

Now I'm using that piece of art mouse that comes with Wacom tablets..

RGB
Mac Elite
Sep 21, 2002, 02:15 AM

I had the first MS Intellimouse Optical Explorer (I think that was the original name) After about 6 months, it periodically stopped working. After multiple calls to MS, they sent me a replacement. Three months later, the mouse stopped working, and displayed the same symptoms. After that, they gave me my money back and I bought a Logitech and haven't turned back. I now have the wireless optical one.

I'm a huge fan of multi-button, scroll wheel mice but for the first time tonight I saw why Apple insists on the one button approach. A family friend who doesn't own a computer was looking at an online photo slideshow I made using iPhoto. She didn't know how to see the next picture, so we told her to click on the arrow that pointed right. Since this was on my Aunt's HP, it obviously had a 2 button mouse. She clicked with the right button, and got a contextual menu, and we weren't able to explain to her how to do it until after we had gotten rid of the "Properties" dialogue that popped up. After that, she knew to left-click. When I mentioned that the Apple mice are not only one button mice, but the entire mouse is a button, she commented on how she'd like that a lot better.

It just reminded me that not everyone is a power user...

Miniryu
Mac Elite
Sep 21, 2002, 02:45 AM

Originally posted by RGB:
I had the first MS Intellimouse Optical Explorer (I think that was the original name) After about 6 months, it periodically stopped working. After multiple calls to MS, they sent me a replacement. Three months later, the mouse stopped working, and displayed the same symptoms. After that, they gave me my money back and I bought a Logitech and haven't turned back. I now have the wireless optical one.

I'm a huge fan of multi-button, scroll wheel mice but for the first time tonight I saw why Apple insists on the one button approach. A family friend who doesn't own a computer was looking at an online photo slideshow I made using iPhoto. She didn't know how to see the next picture, so we told her to click on the arrow that pointed right. Since this was on my Aunt's HP, it obviously had a 2 button mouse. She clicked with the right button, and got a contextual menu, and we weren't able to explain to her how to do it until after we had gotten rid of the "Properties" dialogue that popped up. After that, she knew to left-click. When I mentioned that the Apple mice are not only one button mice, but the entire mouse is a button, she commented on how she'd like that a lot better.

Yeah, but for those of us who live in an industrialized country and are under 60, a two-button scroll mouse is so much better than a one button: any one button. Mac OS X was designed to be used with a two button; there is so much you can do with it.

I have a Logitech optical and I love it. I didn't have to install any software when I upgraded to OS X. Go ahead and get the new mouse Footy.

"Sing it again, rookie beyach."
My website

Kaner
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 21, 2002, 08:59 AM

why have a multi-button mouse when the os is designed to be operated with just one button?

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 21, 2002, 09:05 AM

i like my intellimouse optical from M$ i used to be hardcore and used the apple pro mouse cause i didnt want to have any M$ products...then i realized the apple mouse sucks donkey dick.

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 21, 2002, 09:51 AM

The single "button" (in quotes since you basically smack the whole mouse) optical mouse is perfect for my daugher (5 years old), my son (2) and my wife (no disclosure on age). They love it.

I use a Logitech Cordless Optical for my Cube. (And for me, 'tis perfect.) The cordless compliments the Cube nicely also.

On my Athlon XP/WinXP box I use a Microsoft Optical Explorer Mouse. (Got it as a gift, and it is quite adequate.)

Gankdawg
Professional Poster
Sep 21, 2002, 09:57 AM

Originally posted by Kaner:
why have a multi-button mouse when the os is designed to be operated with just one button?
Much, much more productive. If I want to scroll down a web page/Word doc/iTunes playlist/etc, I don't have to move the mouse over to the scroll bar to accomplish that. If I am checking out items on eBay, I don't have to move the mouse up to the 'Back' button. Most importantly, if I am playing TacOps (the UT mod) I can switch weapons very quickly by using the buttons on the side of my MS Intellimouse Optical.

scottiB
Professional Poster
Sep 21, 2002, 10:23 AM

After using Macs for 15 years, I'm so accustomed to having a hand poised on my keyboard's command (and now control) key. That and I don't believe I have proper mouse posture for a multi-button mouse: the heel of mind hand always rests on the desk/table, holding the mouse with my thumb and ring finger (which is why I never had and issue with the puck mouse).

Also, I routinely switch using the mouse between my right and left hands, and some mice I've seen are predisposed for right-handed use (at least my dad's Intellimouse is that way).

Regardless, the Pro Mouse works for me--I like the solidity of it, but I wouldn't begrudge anyone who chooses otherwise. To each his or her own.
I am stupidest when I try to be funny.

euphras
Mac Elite
Sep 21, 2002, 10:48 AM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Kaner:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Windows can also be operated with only one button, but it has the built in opportunity to be navigated with three button scroll wheel mice, like OS 9 and OS X

I WANT A GENUINE APPLE 3B-SW-MOUSE !!!

Pat

Macintosh Quadra 950, Centris 610, Powermac 6100, iBook dual USB, Powerbook 667 DVI, Powerbook 867 DVI, MacBook Pro early 2011

beb
Mac Elite
Sep 21, 2002, 10:49 AM

What would be smart for Apple is to offer an Apple branded multi-button, bluetooth enabled mouse in future consumer offerings. Simply have it as an option on the online Apple store.

It should be a standard in Pro offerings.

Then the consumer-Mac-buying person can then select which mouse they want -a single one button wonder -or a multi-button deal.

I kinda feel that every mouse in this day and age needs a scroll wheel -one button or not.

A bluetooth keyboard wouldn't be a bad idea either. Nor would having a standard RCA or SVHS video out on the iMac or having at least a 512k backside cache or...

funkboy
Professional Poster
Sep 21, 2002, 10:53 AM

Shine on, you crazy diamond.

(man I love that line)

Zimphire
Baninated
Sep 21, 2002, 12:02 PM

I liked the Pro mouse, but wanted a scroll wheel. I like my Logitech.

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 21, 2002, 12:18 PM

Using a scroll wheel on Windows actually slowed me down. I guess I have average motoric skills so I'd bet that applies to most users (needs some scientific user testing though).

I'd love to try that clitoris like thing on a mouse proposed by IBM though.

I absolutely hate second mouse buttons on the right half. It is against the way I hold a mouse. Again I'm not against a second mouse button per se, but it needs to be more ergonomically placed. Either on the side operated by the thumb, or on the tail of the mouse, depending on results of user testing.
Nasrudin sat on a river bank when someone shouted to him from the opposite side: "Hey! how do I get across?" "You are across!" Nasrudin shouted back.

funkboy
Professional Poster
Sep 21, 2002, 12:34 PM

Originally posted by Developer:
I'd love to try that clitoris like thing on a mouse proposed by IBM though.

RGB
Mac Elite
Sep 21, 2002, 02:20 PM

Originally posted by Miniryu:

Yeah, but for those of us who live in an industrialized country and are under 60, a two-button scroll mouse is so much better than a one button: any one button. Mac OS X was designed to be used with a two button; there is so much you can do with it.

I have a Logitech optical and I love it. I didn't have to install any software when I upgraded to OS X. Go ahead and get the new mouse Footy.
Well, she's about 40 years old living in the United States...

Footy  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 21, 2002, 04:57 PM

Well, I did it! I bought the Macally Ice Mouse. 2 buttons plus a scroll wheel.

It's nice using the control actions on the right button. Especially for IE.

However, the Apple Pro Mouse is still much more comfortable. Not having to have your finger on an actual button with the Apple mouse makes it very hard to beat. The new mouse feels a bit odd, having to have an actual finger on it. I'm sure I'll get use to it.

EmAn
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 21, 2002, 08:21 PM

Originally posted by Footy:
Well, I did it! I bought the Macally Ice Mouse. 2 buttons plus a scroll wheel.

It's nice using the control actions on the right button. Especially for IE.

However, the Apple Pro Mouse is still much more comfortable. Not having to have your finger on an actual button with the Apple mouse makes it very hard to beat. The new mouse feels a bit odd, having to have an actual finger on it. I'm sure I'll get use to it.
Why'd you get a MacAlly? IMO, Logitech, MS, and Kensington are all better than MacAlly.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Sep 21, 2002, 08:28 PM

I'll agree on Kensington being better, but I love Macally. I have 2 3-button USB mice and a 2 button ADB mouse, all work perfectly are great.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Montanan
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 21, 2002, 08:40 PM

Last winter, when I finally got rid of my PC and went all Mac, I thought the one thing I would really miss was my scroll-wheel MS mouse. But I decided to wait a while before buying a replacement mouse for the iMac, because the Apple Pro mouse lust looks so damn good ... especially next to that good-looking iMac.

And I have to say it didn't take me very long at all to become a happy one-button mouser. I realized that even when I had the multi-button mouse, I was generally surfing and editing with one hand on the keyboard anyway (using the back and forward commands in browsers, for example). So for me, at least, using the Apple mouse just meant learning a different way of doing things, but not necessarily one that's less efficient or productive.

Maybe the idea of navigating using both hands is a little bit easier for me since I'm a bit ambidexterous? I dunno ...

All that said, though, if Apple ever comes out with a scroll-wheel mouse, I imagine I'll probably get one.

MacGorilla
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 21, 2002, 08:52 PM

I love the Apple Pro Mouse but I use X Windows apps so often it made sense to get a two button mouse (Logitech).
Power Macintosh Dual G4
SGI Indigo2 6.5.21f

Mac Guru
Mac Elite
Sep 21, 2002, 11:35 PM

I recently got me a Kensington Studio mouse and I totally love it... It's way too customizable and I can use it for SO many things!

Mac Guru

Cipher13
Sep 22, 2002, 03:08 AM

Originally posted by RGB:

Well... if a person can't understand the concept of a two-button mouse, maybe they shouldn't be using a computer either... it just isn't that complex.

Nimisys
Banned
Sep 22, 2002, 03:21 AM

Originally posted by Cipher13:

Well... if a person can't understand the concept of a two-button mouse, maybe they shouldn't be using a computer either... it just isn't that complex.
those are the same people who still think the computer is on a personal vendetta against them

TonyRado
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 22, 2002, 11:01 AM

I'll purchase a multibutton mouse from the first manufacturer who puts a whole keyboard on the mouse. Oh wait, nevermind.

MacGorilla
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 22, 2002, 11:20 AM

Originally posted by Nimisys:

those are the same people who still think the computer is on a personal vendetta against them
It isn't????
Power Macintosh Dual G4
SGI Indigo2 6.5.21f

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 22, 2002, 11:33 AM

ill keep my single button mouse, accompanied by the devastating power of the...

powermate!!!!!

fully customizable to any app i choose. it glows blue. its a solid hunk of stainless steel. plus it gives me something to stick in that left hand side keyboard USB port...

macvillage.net
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 22, 2002, 11:52 AM

I have used a Kensington TurboMouse (trackball) for years now... I absolutely love it. I would never want anything else.

For my laptop I use a Logitech MouseWheel... pretty good as well.

Apple's Mice look the best, but you do what you need. Hardcore Mac users have the most customized computers on the planet. Perfect for them. If it means a different mouse... Then go for it.

Footy  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 22, 2002, 09:26 PM

Well, I'm back to my old Apple Pro Mouse.

Say what ya want but I like it. I think it's the fact that my fingers don't have to be in any certain possition, I can just click anywhere. The scroll wheel was nice but I think, in most cases, it's easier to just click under the scroll bar to move a whole page down.

The Power Mate looks pretty good. Might be nice to have one of those setting around.

I must not be a "Power User".

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Sep 22, 2002, 10:38 PM

That has to be the coolest, yet almost useless piece of hardware on the market. It's blue!

Originally posted by scaught:
ill keep my single button mouse, accompanied by the devastating power of the...

powermate!!!!!

fully customizable to any app i choose. it glows blue. its a solid hunk of stainless steel. plus it gives me something to stick in that left hand side keyboard USB port...
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 23, 2002, 02:28 AM

Originally posted by olePigeon:
That has to be the coolest, yet almost useless piece of hardware on the market. It's blue!

It rocks. It really does. For editing its the dog's bollocks. Scrools through footage like a trooper. And works straight out of the box.

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 23, 2002, 02:28 PM

I have a logitech mouse at home a 2 button with scroll wheel. I love it. Great for playing Star Craft. That is pretty much the reason I bought it. But I do use the R/C for other parts of the OS as well. I love the scroll wheel for web browsing and for iTunes. I have found that the "general" home user doesn't need the second button as they almost never use it or know what to do with it. But for power users it is definately great. Now if Apple made a 2 button as well as the one button I'd buy it.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

Forum Links
Forum Rules