Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > <b>Internet Explorer Virus???

<b>Internet Explorer Virus???
Reddleader
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 18, 2003, 05:45 PM

Help, I have always just typed in the name of a website in the address bar when using Internet Explorer. (no need to put in "www" or ".com") Now when I just type the name, I get redirected to this website: http://sitefinder.verisign.com/ . I don't know how to get rid of this. I did a virus scan using the latest Norton AV def. I have emptied the cookies and the cache. I checked the preferences for I.E. and cannot find out were this is coming from. I even did a reistall of IE and still I get redirected to the site. If I do type in the full address such as www.apple.com, it will take me to apple. Any thoughts?
Good day

RevEvs
Mac Elite
Sep 18, 2003, 05:53 PM

1. Try deleting the prefs file.
2. Use Safari

revs
I free'd my mind... now it won't come back.

Scarpa
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 18, 2003, 06:08 PM

Verisign recently changed the rules on how DNS names are looked up.

Previously, when you entered a domain name that didn't resolve, like "apple", the DNS server would return a "domain not found" IE then responds to that automagically by adding "www." and ".com" around your entry and tries again. If that works, you're in. If it doesn't you get the generic "DNS Error" page.

Now, if you type in a non-existant domain name Verisign will "helpfully" try and redirect you to another site. This is a bad thing and breaks DNS functionality IMO. The solution for you is to start typing at least the .com after the domain name, in most cases the www is not necessary.

SupahCoolX
Mac Elite
Sep 18, 2003, 08:09 PM

Once again, there are no Mac OS X viruses at this time.

I suggest giving Safari or Camino a try. They're both much better than IE and will properly resolve URLs (for example, just type cnn and it will take you to www.cnn.com ).

Forum Links
Forum Rules