Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > OS X 10.1 on G3 and other issues

OS X 10.1 on G3 and other issues
Hash
Mac Elite
Sep 30, 2001, 11:04 AM

I installed my 10.1, OS 9.2.1, donwloaded Word for X, opened some files, worked on documents using AppleWorks 6.2.1-and my impressions..Word IS MUCH faster than any WIndows machine..

OS X 10.1 is very fast on my G3 350/448 Mb of RAM, it flies, its stable, its good-looking, well-organized (Preferences, menu bar icons, new commands), resizing, Classic, everything is working perfect! Good job, Apple!

I am sure that there are still unresolved issues-but i can not really find many-and the main thing-ITS FASTER than Windows 98, 2k or XP on comparable or even latest PCs!

Compared to Windows, its graphically beatiful, well-thought, logically organized, fast, and KEEPS all pre-OS X applications working! Amazing piece of work.

Now, with Unreal Tournament X out i can not much complain really

My 2 year old computer flies in graphics and digital video-one of most CPU- intensive tasks-compared to 800 megaHZ or even 1 G Pentium 3 or 4.! Now IS NOT IT AMAZING??

[ 09-30-2001: Message edited by: Hash ]

mindwaves
Sep 30, 2001, 11:42 AM

Now, if only Apple had sent the Cds to my bookstore on time, then maybe I can enjoy the experience of having 10.1 also. About 6 people were also in line for the update, but all were disappointed by Apple's failure to mail them (the CDs) on time. Maybe on Monday....

pathogen
Mac Elite
Sep 30, 2001, 12:19 PM

Hash, what video card do you have?

I have a Beige G3, 500mhz ZIF, with a PCI Rage 128 (16MB), and 288MB of RAM.

So far, I've noticed that I still have to dumb my resolution down to "Thousands" or else the GUI suffers even more. If I'm in "Millions", Genie and Suck maybe get 2 frames a second.

Though it's alot faster than 10.0.4, I still feel like my mouse is pulling the scroll bars and resize corners with a long elastic. Menus and scrolling in Explorer are still a pain, but it is more useable. The Finder is definitly more responsive.

Also, Mail.app now imports, but it never recognizes my Outlook Express in my 9.2.1 partition, and so I have to browse to find it FOR EVERY EMAIL I IMPORT. Argh. I gave up on importing and had to Force Quit after 12 emails of 1,500.

I've even had my first kernal panic last night, trying to make a new folder!

Do I need more RAM? A Radeon? Or can I keep using this computer, as is? I'm trying to hold out until next summer to by my next tower.
When you were young and your heart was an open book, you used to say "live and let live."
But if this ever changing world, in which we live in, makes you give in and cry, say "live and let die."

jiprovi
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 30, 2001, 12:53 PM

Originally posted by pathogen:
<STRONG>Hash, what video card do you have?

I have a Beige G3, 500mhz ZIF, with a PCI Rage 128 (16MB), and 288MB of RAM.

So far, I've noticed that I still have to dumb my resolution down to "Thousands" or else the GUI suffers even more. If I'm in "Millions", Genie and Suck maybe get 2 frames a second.

Though it's alot faster than 10.0.4, I still feel like my mouse is pulling the scroll bars and resize corners with a long elastic. Menus and scrolling in Explorer are still a pain, but it is more useable. The Finder is definitly more responsive.

Also, Mail.app now imports, but it never recognizes my Outlook Express in my 9.2.1 partition, and so I have to browse to find it FOR EVERY EMAIL I IMPORT. Argh. I gave up on importing and had to Force Quit after 12 emails of 1,500.

I've even had my first kernal panic last night, trying to make a new folder!

Do I need more RAM? A Radeon? Or can I keep using this computer, as is? I'm trying to hold out until next summer to by my next tower.</STRONG>
I have B&W G3 w/512 MB RAM, PCI Radeon and Sony 12X CD-RW Drive. OS 10.1 works great on it! Burning CD's (data and music via iTunes) runs great (even while I am running apps such as IE, Mail) without apparent studder or loss of data. Also, my radeon card finally works with OpenGL games With 10.0.4, I could not get any of the 3D games to work under OS X. Now with 10.1, I have Alice, Quake3, and Demo of Wolfenstein working great!

Hash  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 30, 2001, 12:59 PM

Pathogen,

my desktop is unmodified G3 B&W 350 MHz with standard ATI Rage 128 card, 16 Mb of video memory. Certainly, even with 10.1 it still feels a bit different from 9.2-i dont know why. Speed is not issue anymore. Scrolling and resizing are fast enough. Most applications open immediatelly or with a very small lag, 1-3 bounces. But what really amazes me is how Word is fast in 10.1-it opens large files FASTER than 9.2 and FASTER than on Windows, the same moment you click on file's icon. Granted, its only demo, but AW is extremely fast too. Since i use my Mac for DTP mainly, its all what matters for me. Copy and paste between Classic and OS X is seamless. Classis (9.2.1) is as fast as 9.2. Maybe memory plays a role-its 448 Mb after all, -but otherwise my G3 is standard configuration. Explorer is not terribly fast but Explorer on my Sony Vaio has same speed or slower. And in overall, OS X feels now faster and more responsive than Windows.

After using 10.0-10.0.4 for a while I also was thinking about upgrading videocard to PCI Radeon-which seems to be fully supported in 10.1 since i found its extensions in library-but now i dont feel any necessity to do so.

lenkman
Sep 30, 2001, 02:21 PM

Just to add my gripe with 10.1 -

I have a lombard G3 with a ATI Rage LT Pro (i think) factory installed card -
Quicktime is a joke - at thousands of colors, I still only get 5-7 fps at 300%, as opposed to 20 + in 9.2.1, and even in classic mode Quicktime.
I haven't even tried any games - i think that would depress me too much.
Unfortunately, I can't install a new video card,as I have a powerbook, so I am sort of stuck unless apple gets their a*! in gear and makes a driver for my preinstalled video card.

Otherwise, though, it is quite fast, but I keep having problems with my screen locking - not a kernel panic, not a program freezing, but the system freezing completely - no mouse, no anything.

Oh well. Back to 9.2.1

Kickaha
Forum Regular
Sep 30, 2001, 03:00 PM

lenkman: re screen locking, make sure that you don't have any loose RAM cards. MacOS X is less tolerant of bad or misseated RAM cards than 9.x was. I had the same problem a while ago, it was due to slinging the PowerBook around in my backpack. 9.x ran 'perfectly', X was locking up. (Turned out that a closer look at what was happening in 9 led to the discovery of several corrupted files... luckily it was nothing critical. The save was performing fine, it was just saving bad data from RAM.)

"Less tolerant!? What a step backwards!" I hear someone saying... no, not at all. You want to know as soon as possible if some piece of hardware if failing for some reason, such as the above... what if it had been my dissertation that was corrupted? My family had a IIcx years ago that refused to run reliably for more than 45 minutes at a shot... after a year, it was finally diagnosed to a cracked RAM SIMM slot. If we'd been able to boot MacOS in a verbose mode like MacOS X, and had it freeze up at the RAM check, we would have known immediately what the problem was. :/

rsp
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 30, 2001, 06:34 PM

I'm amazed to hear that people get fast window resizing with G3 systems. I have a slot-loading iMac DV (8 MB VRAM Rage 128 and 256 MB RAM) and while there is a general speed-up with 10.1, window resizing is as bad as it used to be with 10.0.4, at least with Explorer and some other apps.

Hash  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 1, 2001, 02:46 AM

Explorer is only app with somewhat slow resizing. Guess its no more system fault but Explorer's.

Forum Links
Forum Rules