Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Piracy hits Christian music

Piracy hits Christian music
Algernnon
Forum Regular
Apr 23, 2004, 08:58 PM

Not making any judgements here... I just find this humorous.

"Christian teens are stealing Jesus music."
( Last edited by Algernnon; Apr 23, 2004 at 09:09 PM. )

I'm with stupid
---->

Zimphire
Baninated
Apr 23, 2004, 08:59 PM

Not surprised at all.

Axo1ot1
Professional Poster
Apr 23, 2004, 09:09 PM

Originally posted by Zimphire:
Not surprised at all.
oh shi

Zimphire pre-emptively strikes, laying to rest any posts that take jabs at his moral highground. Tonight at 11...

benb
Apr 23, 2004, 09:14 PM

Originally posted by Axo1ot1:
oh shi

Zimphire pre-emptively strikes, laying to rest any posts that take jabs at his moral highground. Tonight at 11...
Tons of internet weenies moan and groan to the fact they can't make jokes. On Fox Local News at 10.

dillerX
Professional Poster
Apr 23, 2004, 09:19 PM

Originally posted by benb:
Tons of internet weenies moan and groan to the fact they can't make jokes. On Fox Local News at 10.
i posted on the news at 9.
I tried to sig-spam the forums.
ADVANTAGE Motorsports Marketing, Inc. • speedXdesign, Inc.

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 23, 2004, 09:23 PM

Quote:
"We can't be like Christina Aguilera and get all attitudey," said Jaci Velasquez, a platinum-selling singer. "We're supposed to be like Christ and turn the other cheek."

I will dream of a good, sweaty cat fight tonight.

benb
Apr 23, 2004, 09:32 PM

Originally posted by dillerX:
i posted on the news at 9.
CNN or Fox News?

dillerX
Professional Poster
Apr 23, 2004, 09:52 PM

Originally posted by benb:
CNN or Fox News?

u pick.
I tried to sig-spam the forums.
ADVANTAGE Motorsports Marketing, Inc. • speedXdesign, Inc.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 23, 2004, 10:14 PM

Anybody get the new Faith+1 album?
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

starman
Clinically Insane
Apr 23, 2004, 10:58 PM

They'll be forgiven.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

MacGorilla
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 23, 2004, 11:00 PM

Originally posted by starman:
They'll be forgiven.
They wont. God will smite thee.

Or something.
Power Macintosh Dual G4
SGI Indigo2 6.5.21f

dampeoples
Mac Elite
Apr 23, 2004, 11:49 PM

We should all pirate Stairway to heaven, then play it backwards to compensate

Tulkas
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 24, 2004, 12:03 AM

Being a christian, I never have and never will listen to christian music.

Those cows won't know what hit 'em. They won't know what hit them even after it hits them, because they're cows.

starman
Clinically Insane
Apr 24, 2004, 12:05 AM

Originally posted by Tulkas:
Isn't that part of your initiation package?

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Frisbee
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 24, 2004, 12:18 AM

Does the bible actually have anything about piracy whatsoever? Or are all of god's children free to hoard binders filled with $10,000+ worth of software?

Mr. Blur
Professional Poster
Apr 24, 2004, 01:45 AM

christians would pirate music (or software)?? nawwww...could never happen....that would make them hypocrites wouldn't it? /sarcasm off
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity...

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 24, 2004, 03:08 AM

Romans 13, and 1st Peter 2... or is it 2nd Peter 1... either way one of the Peter's and Pauls letter to the Romans makes it clear that Christians should obey the laws of the land they live in, keeping in mind that God's law supersedes.

Are Christians who pirate Christian music hypocrites? Yes.
Is it only Christians who listen to Christian music? No. Who hear has heard the new Switchfoot Album, POD? MxPx? Lots of non-Christians listen to some of the more popular Christian acts.

But yes I have told most people at my college, almost all of whom who care about music pirate, and I have told them they are hypocrites for doing it, and I told my friend from Brazil who walks around with thousands of dollars worth of pirated software, that he's sinning in doing so. That said, if we condemn a religion because it's followers aren't perfect, you condemn all belief systems that have any real standards.

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Apr 24, 2004, 03:16 AM

Originally posted by Axo1ot1:
oh shi

Ha ha

before I even clicked on this thread I knew that would be the case.

"Laugh it up, fuzz ball!"

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 24, 2004, 03:33 AM

What I don't get is that they said "Many teens don't think they are stealing music" and then the only Christian teen the found to interview thinks it's morally wrong, oh but his buddies don't. WTF? Do some real journalism and actually find a teen that fits your conclusion.

Face it, all teens KNOW that it's illegal. If you've ever read, heard, or watched any news in the last 2 years, you'd know that it's illegal.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Apr 24, 2004, 05:52 AM

Originally posted by PowerMacMan:
Anybody get the new Faith+1 album?
(+1 South Park Reference)

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

rjenkinson
Professional Poster
Apr 24, 2004, 07:26 AM

Originally posted by The Godfather:
Quote:
"We can't be like Christina Aguilera and get all attitudey," said Jaci Velasquez, a platinum-selling singer. "We're supposed to be like Christ and turn the other cheek."
funny should should post that quote. i swapped the N and the A in her first name when i read that sentence the first time... if i kept doing that this thread would get really, really weird though:

Originally posted by Superchic[k]en:
Are Christinas who pirate Christina music hypocrites? Yes.
Is it only Christinas who listen to Christina music? No. Who hear has heard the new Switchfoot Album, POD? MxPx? Lots of non-Christinas listen to some of the more popular Christina acts.
see?

-r.

Scifience
Mac Elite
Apr 24, 2004, 08:59 AM

This one "friend" (he is in the same class as me) who is a huge fundamentalist Christian was bragging to me the other day about all the warez he had downloaded.

I haven't actually paid much attention to the bible ever, but I think that there was something in there about not stealing stuff.

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 24, 2004, 02:16 PM

tell your fundamentalist friend that romans 13 says

13:1 Let every person be subject to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except by God�s appointment,1 and the authorities that exist have been instituted by God. 13:2 So the person who resists such authority2 resists the ordinance of God, and those who resist will incur judgment 13:3 (for rulers cause no fear for good conduct but for bad). Do you desire not to fear authority? Do good and you will receive its commendation, 13:4 for it is God�s servant for your good. But if you do wrong, be in fear, for it does not bear the sword in vain. It is God�s servant to administer retribution on the wrongdoer. 13:5 Therefore it is necessary to be in subjection, not only because of the wrath of the authorities3 but also because of your conscience.4 13:6 For this reason you also pay taxes, for the authorities5 are God�s servants devoted to governing.6 13:7 Pay everyone what is owed: taxes to whom taxes are due, revenue to whom revenue is due, respect to whom respect is due, honor to whom honor is due.

And then tell him he's a bloody hypocrite

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 24, 2004, 03:09 PM

13:1 Let every person be subject to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except by God�s appointment,1 and the authorities that exist have been instituted by God.

Stalin

Hitler

Pol Pot

Idi Amin

That bloke in Iraq. With the 'tach.

Useful stuff

My suspicion: Might this have been put in there by the authorities of the day to make sure that the serfs were doing just as they were told?

fireside
Professional Poster
Apr 24, 2004, 03:42 PM

i think the Gospel Music Industry was surprised that piracy happened with Christian music because they were expecting God to help them.

Kilbey
Baninated
Apr 24, 2004, 03:45 PM

Originally posted by Mr. Blur:
christians would pirate music (or software)?? nawwww...could never happen....that would make them hypocrites wouldn't it? /sarcasm off

They are sinners.

Just because they are Christians doesn't make them perfect. Just forgiven.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Apr 24, 2004, 03:45 PM

I'm pretty much in the same shoes. I won't say I'll never *ever* listen to Christian music. I mean one day the curiosity might just get the upper hand.. :/

I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

Kilbey
Baninated
Apr 24, 2004, 03:48 PM

13:1 Let every person be subject to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except by God�s appointment,1 and the authorities that exist have been instituted by God. 13:2 So the person who resists such authority2 resists the ordinance of God, and those who resist will incur judgment 13:3 (for rulers cause no fear for good conduct but for bad). Do you desire not to fear authority? Do good and you will receive its commendation, 13:4 for it is God�s servant for your good. But if you do wrong, be in fear, for it does not bear the sword in vain. It is God�s servant to administer retribution on the wrongdoer. 13:5 Therefore it is necessary to be in subjection, not only because of the wrath of the authorities3 but also because of your conscience.4 13:6 For this reason you also pay taxes, for the authorities5 are God�s servants devoted to governing.6 13:7 Pay everyone what is owed: taxes to whom taxes are due, revenue to whom revenue is due, respect to whom respect is due, honor to whom honor is due.

And then tell him he's a bloody hypocrite
James 3:1 NIV
"Not many of you should presume to be teachers, my brothers, because you know that we who teach will be judged more strictly. "

Kilbey
Baninated
Apr 24, 2004, 03:49 PM

Originally posted by Algernnon:
Not making any judgements here...
Yes you are.

cpt kangarooski
Mac Elite
Apr 24, 2004, 04:31 PM

You can't say that for sure. I mean, you might end up in the part of hell where they play it all the time.
--
This and all my other posts are hereby in the public domain. I am a lawyer. But I'm not your lawyer, and this isn't legal advice.

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 24, 2004, 06:23 PM

Originally posted by Kilbey:
"Not many of you should presume to be teachers, my brothers, because you know that we who teach will be judged more strictly. "
Was that Kilbey? Hmm... odd I can't see you... all I can see is this really REALLY big plank...

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 24, 2004, 06:55 PM

Originally posted by cpt kangarooski:
You can't say that for sure. I mean, you might end up in the part of hell where they play it all the time.

Kilbey
Baninated
Apr 24, 2004, 07:26 PM

Was that Kilbey? Hmm... odd I can't see you... all I can see is this really REALLY big plank...
Pot, meet Kettle.

Were you trying to get that speck out of my eye again?

Zimphire
Baninated
Apr 24, 2004, 07:46 PM

Originally posted by Scifience:
This one "friend" (he is in the same class as me) who is a huge fundamentalist Christian was bragging to me the other day about all the warez he had downloaded.

I haven't actually paid much attention to the bible ever, but I think that there was something in there about not stealing stuff.

Because Christians are perfect, and never do anything wrong.

Zimphire
Baninated
Apr 24, 2004, 07:46 PM

They are sinners.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 24, 2004, 07:55 PM

Actually, this is part of the nefarious RIAA plan to flood the net with crap files. Person things they're downloading music, and instead they get a stream of noise that sounds really, really bad, and then they quit downloading because nothing sounds good.

CV

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

Altix
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 24, 2004, 07:56 PM

I love it how the Bible is disseminated in such a way that people just throw up passages to back an argument, but not really seeing what those verses were said for initially.
"Empty your mind. Be formless, shapeless, like tea. Now you put tea into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put tea into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, you put it in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Now tea can flow, or it can crash... Be tea my Friend..." -Bruce Lee and Erilaz

Kilbey
Baninated
Apr 24, 2004, 08:18 PM

Originally posted by Altix:
I love it how the Bible is disseminated in such a way that people just throw up passages to back an argument, but not really seeing what those verses were said for initially.
Really, I hate it.

I used it in context. It is a passage from James in a letter he sent throughout the Church. It is a section that is often referred to when talking about taming the tongue. It is about being careful what you say and to use scripture in context. I will quote more of that part of the book here so you can read it in greater context:

James 3:1-12 NIV
1 Not many of you should presume to be teachers, my brothers, because you know that we who teach will be judged more strictly. 2 We all stumble in many ways. If anyone is never at fault in what he says, he is a perfect man, able to keep his whole body in check.
3 When we put bits into the mouths of horses to make them obey us, we can turn the whole animal. 4 Or take ships as an example. Although they are so large and are driven by strong winds, they are steered by a very small rudder wherever the pilot wants to go. 5 Likewise the tongue is a small part of the body, but it makes great boasts. Consider what a great forest is set on fire by a small spark. 6 The tongue also is a fire, a world of evil among the parts of the body. It corrupts the whole person, sets the whole course of his life on fire, and is itself set on fire by hell.
7 All kinds of animals, birds, reptiles and creatures of the sea are being tamed and have been tamed by man, 8 but no man can tame the tongue. It is a restless evil, full of deadly poison.
9 With the tongue we praise our Lord and Father, and with it we curse men, who have been made in God's likeness. 10 Out of the same mouth come praise and cursing. My brothers, this should not be. 11 Can both fresh water and salt water flow from the same spring? 12 My brothers, can a fig tree bear olives, or a grapevine bear figs? Neither can a salt spring produce fresh water.

Of course, now someone will complain about over quoting the Bible. Especially in a thread that comments on the evil ways of Christians.

Altix
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 24, 2004, 08:22 PM

Of course, now someone will complain about over quoting the Bible. Especially in a thread that comments on the evil ways of Christians.
No, that's ok to quote.
"Empty your mind. Be formless, shapeless, like tea. Now you put tea into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put tea into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, you put it in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Now tea can flow, or it can crash... Be tea my Friend..." -Bruce Lee and Erilaz

el chupacabra
Mac Elite
Apr 24, 2004, 09:39 PM

Originally posted by Xeo:

Face it, all teens KNOW that it's illegal. If you've ever read, heard, or watched any news in the last 2 years, you'd know that it's illegal.
uh oh ... you are now guilty of stereotyping, shame shame on thee. You have just assumed that all people are have some kind of reasoning...inteligence, or awarness even if just a little. This is not the case. Believe it or not many people are just that dumb.

MacGorilla
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 24, 2004, 09:43 PM

Originally posted by el chupacabra:
uh oh ... you are now guilty of stereotyping, shame shame on thee. You have just assumed that all people are have some kind of reasoning...inteligence, or awarness even if just a little. This is not the case. Believe it or not many people are just that dumb.
NO WAY!!
Power Macintosh Dual G4
SGI Indigo2 6.5.21f

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Apr 24, 2004, 10:55 PM

They are sinners.

I don't think a "Christian" who thinks they can sin because he/she will be forgiven is either Christian or forgiven.

Spliffdaddy
Posting Junkie
Apr 24, 2004, 11:07 PM

well it isnt up to you to make that determination.

Kilbey
Baninated
Apr 24, 2004, 11:10 PM

Originally posted by Wiskedjak:
I don't think a "Christian" who thinks they can sin because he/she will be forgiven is either Christian or forgiven.
I agree. However, a person can not be without sin. Only forgiven.

1 John 1:10 If we claim we have not sinned, we make him out to be a liar and his word has no place in our lives.

But the verse before that covers sin

1 John 1:9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 24, 2004, 11:22 PM

Originally posted by Altix:
Yah, or when like Kilbey they use it for a meaning it was not intended to have. See the passage actually says not many should consider themselves teachers, for they will be judged harsher. James considered himself a teacher, thus he would have not been talking against teaching in general. And scripture interprets scripture (basic concept of Christianity) and Paul speaks of teaching as being a spiritual gift, one that should be pursued before lesser gifts such as tongues etc. Thus if one is chosen by the Holy Spirit as a teacher to some degree or another (as I have) then it would be sinful, and stupid to not pursue it.

Kilbey however is the type of "Christian" (I use quotes because I've never seen him display certain fruits of the spirit... like self control...) who likes to ignore passages like, "6:1 When any of you has a legal dispute with another, does he dare go to court before the unrighteous rather than before the saints? 6:2 Or do you not know that the saints will judge the world? And if the world is to be judged by you, are you not competent to settle trivial suits? 6:3 Do you not know that we will judge angels? Why not ordinary matters! 6:4 So if you have ordinary lawsuits, do you appoint as judges those who have no standing in the church?"

Kilbey, you are one of my least favourite posters, not simply because you're a jerk to just about everyone, but also because you claim to be part of a faith that if you had, you would not behave the way you do. You parade around pretending to follow Christ, and yet even in the way you treat people, you don't seem to.

Kilbey
Baninated
Apr 24, 2004, 11:39 PM

Yah, or when like Kilbey they use it for a meaning it was not intended to have. See the passage actually says not many should consider themselves teachers, for they will be judged harsher. James considered himself a teacher, thus he would have not been talking against teaching in general. And scripture interprets scripture (basic concept of Christianity) and Paul speaks of teaching as being a spiritual gift, one that should be pursued before lesser gifts such as tongues etc. Thus if one is chosen by the Holy Spirit as a teacher to some degree or another (as I have) then it would be sinful, and stupid to not pursue it.
Ahh, but you are going into the preaching of the faith no? Would you be considered a teacher? Show me how I use scripture out of context? I didn't say James was speaking against being a teacher. I was warning you about being a teacher. Be careful.

Kilbey however is the type of "Christian" (I use quotes because I've never seen him display certain fruits of the spirit... like self control...) who likes to ignore passages like, "6:1 When any of you has a legal dispute with another, does he dare go to court before the unrighteous rather than before the saints? 6:2 Or do you not know that the saints will judge the world? And if the world is to be judged by you, are you not competent to settle trivial suits? 6:3 Do you not know that we will judge angels? Why not ordinary matters! 6:4 So if you have ordinary lawsuits, do you appoint as judges those who have no standing in the church?"
HUH?!?! The only time I have been to court is when my dog got loose and I got a "dog off leash" ticket and fought it in court. Unless you are calling http://forums.macnn.com court. Then I say neither are you.

And my bad grammar using neighbor to the North, your fruits seem quite unripe yourself. I would not stoop so low as to use quotes to call you a Christian. I would call you naive and poorly educated.

Kilbey, you are one of my least favourite posters, not simply because you're a jerk to just about everyone, but also because you claim to be part of a faith that if you had, you would not behave the way you do. You parade around pretending to follow Christ, and yet even in the way you treat people, you don't seem to.
Be careful. Pot, meet kettle. You're actions are not very Christ-like either.

The atheists must love all of this "Christian" bickering.

MacGorilla
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 24, 2004, 11:41 PM

Ummmm...how did this turn into a religious debate? I say worship Jeff, God of Biscuits, and be done with it.
Power Macintosh Dual G4
SGI Indigo2 6.5.21f

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Apr 24, 2004, 11:43 PM

I agree. However, a person can not be without sin. Only forgiven.

1 John 1:10 If we claim we have not sinned, we make him out to be a liar and his word has no place in our lives.

But the verse before that covers sin

1 John 1:9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.
Of course, I never said a Christian should be without sin. I said that forgiveness should not be an excuse for a Christian to sin. To do so does not respect the Christian's god or it's forgiveness.

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 24, 2004, 11:47 PM

The atheists must love all of this "Christian" bickering.
Either you are a very poor communicator, or you do too. Because you are the one who ALWAYS starts things. And to be honest I'm sick of it. I can accept occasionally having a bad day, or joking with people who get it. But you continually pick fights with me, and it's immature and irritating. I can accept it from the Non-Christians here because they don't claim any standards, I don't accept this sort of poor behaviour from you because in doing so you claim to be part of the same church as I do, and thus you give it a worse rep than it already gets from other people, and I don't appreciate that. I recognize you're an American Christian, and thus you probably don't have to actually know what it's like to live around Non-Christians, but crap your attitude sucks. You're old, so try growing up.

Zimphire
Baninated
Apr 24, 2004, 11:48 PM

Originally posted by Wiskedjak:
That isn't the deal. We all sin. The difference is, admitting you sinned, and don't try to make justifications for those sins. Admit it, and ask for forgiveness.

That doesn't mean you can go on and on and on doing the sam "sin" over and over again.

It's your intentions and what is in your heart that matters.

Forum Links
Forum Rules