Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > Finder buttons yellowing?

Finder buttons yellowing?
Algernnon
Forum Regular
Mar 27, 2004, 11:57 AM

The Finder buttons are still yellowish even when I reapply Aqua or turn SS off. (10.3.3) I am an active theme changer, using ShapeShifter, this is the first time I have had any kind of problem. Any idea what could be causing this?

Here's SS turned off (aqua):

( Last edited by Algernnon; Mar 27, 2004 at 05:43 PM. )

I'm with stupid
---->

Holigen
Mac Elite
Mar 27, 2004, 12:19 PM

Do you have any themes that are replacing your actual graphics files? Something you still have left from the "old days"? Other than that, it could be a bug with the theme. Let me apply it and check it out.

.: 15" PowerBook G4 - 1.5 GHz - 512 MB RAM - ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 128 MB VRAM - 80 GB HD @ 5400 rpm :.

Algernnon  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 27, 2004, 12:44 PM

No, it just recently started happening, and it happens with every theme I try, except the darker ones, which probably just mask it better.

I'm with stupid
---->

bbxstudio
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 27, 2004, 04:05 PM

Originally posted by Algernnon:

The Finder buttons are still yellowish even when I reapply Aqua or turn SS off. (10.3.3) I am an active theme changer, using ShapeShifter, this is the first time I have had any kind of problem. Any idea what could be causing this?
There's something wierd going on with finder toolbar buttons all around... as it stands, there's no way to get them to sit in there pixel-perfect (the graphics get scaled horizontally, the colors displayed in the finder are not the colors within the resource). This is something Smeger will need to fix definitely. When I suggested this to him, he said it was a colorsync issue, but I've examined the actual Aqua resources and my own resources within the GUIkit and they all get smushed and color-shifted - even Apple's original graphics. My thoughts are that it's a coding bug in Panther that slipped by (it's not as noticable with Aqua but it's there) or something that was tweaked with code instead of altering the actual graphic resources. It's making my themes look pretty sloppy.

Algernnon  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 27, 2004, 05:31 PM

Originally posted by bbxstudio:
There's something wierd going on with finder toolbar buttons all around... as it stands, there's no way to get them to sit in there pixel-perfect (the graphics get scaled horizontally, the colors displayed in the finder are not the colors within the resource). This is something Smeger will need to fix definitely. When I suggested this to him, he said it was a colorsync issue, but I've examined the actual Aqua resources and my own resources within the GUIkit and they all get smushed and color-shifted - even Apple's original graphics. My thoughts are that it's a coding bug in Panther that slipped by (it's not as noticable with Aqua but it's there) or something that was tweaked with code instead of altering the actual graphic resources. It's making my themes look pretty sloppy.
Thank you. I have been playing with ColorSync myself a bit, and it doesn't go away. Good to know it's not just me. I just wonder how it seems to have gotten worse recently.

I'm with stupid
---->

phillryu
Mac Elite
Mar 27, 2004, 11:15 PM

It's making my themes look pretty sloppy.
What... themes? Give me!

MacThemes.net Editor in Chief

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 28, 2004, 02:42 AM

I think it's colorsync too. I think some resources don't have a profile, or it is incorrect.

I have had similar issues.

-Owl

Chris Grande
Senior User
Mar 28, 2004, 03:26 AM

My regular Aqua buttons are a little off. They seem too saturated.

Dace
Mac Elite
Mar 28, 2004, 03:54 AM

Thats what happens when you drink coffee and smoke next to your
Mac You need a whitening kit.

Data Bytes Computers - Montreal, QC
Ventes & Services / Sales & Services

codywalton
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 28, 2004, 09:10 AM

Originally posted by Dace:
Thats what happens when you drink coffee and smoke next to your
Mac You need a whitening kit.
Uh Oh... <starts checking for stains>

JoE950
Forum Regular
Mar 28, 2004, 09:38 AM

Found one!

Holigen
Mac Elite
Mar 28, 2004, 02:56 PM

Just noticed something, when Im looking at your snap of MaggraX (or whatever its called) on my old brick (a Toshiba Satellite Pro 435CDS circa 1995), I dont see any yellow. Now, the Aqua one still has a bit of yellow in it although it isnt as noticable. I think its a Colorsync thing. Im not suffering from this problem, btw. Smeger would probably help diagnose this if its a problem with SS.

.: 15" PowerBook G4 - 1.5 GHz - 512 MB RAM - ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 128 MB VRAM - 80 GB HD @ 5400 rpm :.

Algernnon  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 28, 2004, 04:07 PM

Not to be argumentative, but I don't think it is colorsync. I have calibrated several times and get the same results. Besides that:

wouldn't the Finder and Safari buttons match if it were a colorsync thing? I suppose it could be left over from another theme, but ShapeShifter was built to prevent that and it's all I've used on this machine.

I'm with stupid
---->

JoE950
Forum Regular
Mar 28, 2004, 04:22 PM

god that would drive me nuts im glad my computer is healthy..

clam2000
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 28, 2004, 04:38 PM

i'm having the same problem

(above:safari, below:finder)

--will

TheSpaz
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 28, 2004, 05:25 PM

I'm having the same problem...

Very strange indeed.

Holigen
Mac Elite
Mar 29, 2004, 12:42 AM

Oh, well, I just thought that it was odd that it wasnt showing up on my other machine. This is like a plague and too bad smegers in Mexico and cant address this issue...

Fellow2000
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 29, 2004, 02:19 AM

I noticed this when trying this....

Use a theme with a custom menu selection color. Then with a menu item highlighted, take a screenshot to the pasteboard (command+cntrl+shift+3). Then, open up System Preferences>Appearance, and click on selection color>custom. Choose the picture icon and then in the drop down box choose 'new from paste board.' Then use the arrow to point to your menu selection color from your screenshot and hit OK. Theoretically, this should make all selections OS wide the same color as your menu selection. And it does, in every app, i.e. Mail, Safari, etc..., and it works as planned except in the Finder. The selection color is totally off.

bbxstudio
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 1, 2004, 09:49 AM

Hey Smeger - now that you're back, how about looking into this Finder stuff... observations I've made:

1. Finder toolbar buttons are not drawn in 1:1 pixel ratio... at least with the back button (I got pissed of after trying everything with this one so didn't move on)... the back button (and perhaps others) are actually scaled down horizontally (by 1 pixel in the case of the back button) - for guys like me looking for direct pixel-by-pixel translation, this is a major issue. Note - this even happens with Panther's actual Aqua resources.

2. Finder toolbar button colors displayed within the running Finder do not correlate with the actual pixel values within the resources... this has nothing to do with the actual color values within the resource - I've looked at my resources and have pulled them back into Photoshop by various methods and the colors are always exactly what I put there, yet the Finder displays them differently - I'm also at a loss as to how Colorsync is affecting this unless Themepark is pulling in and embedding profile information when it retrieves the graphics from Photoshop. Note - even Panther's Aqua resources are being displayed with different values from those within the resource.

Bottom line, what we really need is for the Finder to predictably and always display exactly what lives within the resource... if this is a Colorsync issue (you'd be surprised how many Mac users don't operate in sRGB, especially us designer types), it should be bypassed somehow. Perhaps there is a way to have TP calculate a premultiplier or something to cause the resources to display as intended. I'm inclined to think it's either a coding error on Apple's part or an intentional code-based last-minute tweak. As long as the Finder is displaying exactly the pixels within the resource, we're in business. As it stands, both of the themes I'm building look pretty sloppy with this going on.

( Last edited by bbxstudio; Apr 1, 2004 at 09:56 AM. )

TheSpaz
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 1, 2004, 12:18 PM

Great... now that's gonna bug me forever... I wish I would have never seen that.

Thanks BBX for pointing that out... now ever time I look at that arrow... I notice how squashed and blurry it is. PLEASE FIX THIS SOON!

smeger
Mac Elite
Apr 1, 2004, 05:12 PM

Hmm, interesting stuff here.

My thought on this bug has been that the problem is that when Finder draws its toolbar items (or, more specifically, when an HIToolbar is used, which to the best of my knowledge, only happens in Finder), it's doing some of its compositing using the wrong color space (or mapping into that space too many times). This would explain both the hue shift and the fact that it's only visible in Finder.

The kink in this theory is Algernnon's evidence that it's happening even in Aqua, with ShapeShifter turned off. It could still be a weird screen profile (although it's unlikely), because the Finder's HIToolbar might be paying attention to the profile while everything else doesn't. Or it might be double-mapping into the profile or something like that.

Anyway, this is definitely an HIToolbar bug. I'll play around with isolating it and if I can, I'll file a bug report with Apple.

Any additional info you guys can provide would be �ber-helpful.
Geekspiff - generating spiffdiddlee software since before you began paying attention.

smeger
Mac Elite
Apr 1, 2004, 05:20 PM

Whoops, shouldn't leave a thread open overnight and then reply without reloading first.

BBX, thanks for the additional info and the verification that the hue shift is happening even with default Aqua. This also makes me believe in my theory that this is an HIToolbox bug caused by either incorrectly mapping to the wrong colorspace (there's a distinction between genericRGB and deviceRGB) or mapping multiple times.

As I said, I'd like to see any additional info, aside from "it's happening to me, too". Specifically, does anybody not see this occurring?
Geekspiff - generating spiffdiddlee software since before you began paying attention.

Dave-o�
Senior User
Apr 1, 2004, 05:49 PM

S.. i don't have anything like that at all happening on my machine.. i thought it was a monitor calibration error when i first read this thread. I'm running 10.3.3 with SS and have the A theme from Max applied right now.

codywalton
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 1, 2004, 06:17 PM

Originally posted by smeger:
As I said, I'd like to see any additional info, aside from "it's happening to me, too". Specifically, does anybody not see this occurring?
It's never happend to me. 10.3.3. with SS and smoothstripes.... :/

bbxstudio
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 1, 2004, 08:24 PM

Originally posted by smeger:
Whoops, shouldn't leave a thread open overnight and then reply without reloading first.

BBX, thanks for the additional info and the verification that the hue shift is happening even with default Aqua. This also makes me believe in my theory that this is an HIToolbox bug caused by either incorrectly mapping to the wrong colorspace (there's a distinction between genericRGB and deviceRGB) or mapping multiple times.

Let's not forget about the fact that scaling is off as well - I find this every bit as annoying as the color shift

Lord Sith
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 1, 2004, 09:08 PM

I've not noticed any of the above either. I did notice some hue shift when "sending to PhotoShop" and "retrieving from PhotoShop", but I "left as is without color managing" and all has been well since.

Mac OS 10.3.3
ShapeShifter 1.2
ThemePark 1.3

Appearance: Graphite

Algernnon  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 1, 2004, 09:37 PM

Well, I switched back to aqua/SS off to see if it was still happening. Guess what? No yellowing; everything is back to normal. I had been using AlumiteX for a while, since I couldn't see the color shift with it. I'm doing some theme changing now, to see if I can make it happen again, but so far so good. Very strange.

I'm with stupid
---->

smeger
Mac Elite
Apr 1, 2004, 11:23 PM

Okay, now I'm really intrigued. I'm still leaning towards my theory that this is caused by a color mapping issue in Apple's HIToolbox code, but I'd like to see if someone can come up wiith a definitive "It happens when I do this and goes away when I do this" scenario.

Chris Grande
Senior User
Apr 2, 2004, 02:45 AM

Well I can get it to momentarily go away (in default aqua) by going to customize toolbar then clicking 'Use Small Icons' on and then off again. This seems the cause the toolbar to redraw in the correct colors. If I then click on one of the buttons the color shifts back. I've included a screen shot to illustrate the color shift. The top is how it seems to always look, and the bottom is how it will look if I do my little force redraw trick.

I also noticed after a little testing, it seems to effect any icon placed in the finder toolbar. Also after looking at a few computers that I have access to not all of them have this strange bug...maybe a clean install vs upgrade/archive?

ARENA
Mac Elite
Jun 28, 2004, 09:47 PM

Is there any workaround for this disturbing problem??
I never experienced it in my Ghz Titanium, but now i can't avoid it in my new 1.5Ghz AlBook (fresh panther installation).

ARENA
Mac Elite
Jun 30, 2004, 11:54 AM

...bump.

Originally posted by ARENA:
Is there any workaround for this disturbing problem??
I never experienced it in my Ghz Titanium, but now i can't avoid it in my new 1.5Ghz AlBook (fresh panther installation).

Zimphire
Baninated
Jun 30, 2004, 12:21 PM

Are you smoking around your finder buttons?

decursive
Forum Regular
Jul 3, 2004, 02:44 AM

this is definantly not a shapeshifter bug, or a theme bug at all. i'm experiencing this on a fresh install. the only real thing i've done that could be related is making a custom calibrated colorsync profile. so it seems like that's the culprit.
= decursive =

ARENA
Mac Elite
Aug 9, 2004, 08:39 PM

Damn...i was hoping that 10.3.5 would have solved this really annoying bug.
But it didn't.

Seems like we'll have to wait til Tiger.

Holigen
Mac Elite
Aug 9, 2004, 09:19 PM

Change your colorsync profiles. Reapply the theme. Rinse, repeat. Problem solved.

ARENA
Mac Elite
Aug 9, 2004, 09:30 PM

Originally posted by Holigen:
Change your colorsync profiles. Reapply the theme. Rinse, repeat. Problem solved.
OMG ...i love you.
I hated that bug all this time!

PS: I'm not gay.

smeger
Mac Elite
Aug 9, 2004, 10:41 PM

Originally posted by Holigen:
Does this really work? The responses at the beginning of this thread seemed to indicate that it didn't. I wouldn't find it surprising if it did, but...

Algernnon  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 9, 2004, 11:10 PM

Didn't work here. The problem mysteriously went away after a while last time it happened, not too long after it started. But after the upgrade to 10.3.5 it's back. Strangely it affecting some graphics on the web too - the navbar on my site is silver, the original png is silver when I look at it, but Safari reders it the yellowish/bronze color. My Finder buttons are screwy again too. This is very strange. Could it be something in Photoshop? all of my graphics that are off were done it PS, could it be some sort of embedded thing throwing the color off? Did Apple make the Finder buttons in PS? Hmmmm...

I'm with stupid
---->

ARENA
Mac Elite
Aug 9, 2004, 11:56 PM

well it seems i was to happy before testing it properly.
Changing the display profile and reapplying the theme does fix the problem, but unfortunately it only solves it till the Finder is relaunched.
I hope there was a definitive workaround for this.

Forum Links
Forum Rules