Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Mac G4 users - can you help out?

Mac G4 users - can you help out?
Hoonay
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 25, 2003, 04:44 AM

Hi there,

I apologise in advance for just popping in with a completey random question. I hardly know a thing about Macs at all so please excuse my ignorance - but I run some websites and am being told by some Mac G4 users that they cannot view my own message board.

I wondered if anyone with a Mac G4 powerbook could try and visit my page and see if they experience any problems?

The users are telling me they keep being thrown off the message board. I'd previously fixed the html pages of my website to accommodate Mac users but I can't imagine what the problem could be re: the forum. I did try and fix something on the forum template but I have noone to try it out for me!

I'm really stumped here and need some advice!

The forum is at: http://www.rickywarwick.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi

Thank you!

Hoonay

WOPR
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 25, 2003, 04:54 AM

Seems fine from here using Safari.

Hoonay  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 25, 2003, 04:57 AM

Originally posted by WOPR:
Seems fine from here using Safari.
I wonder if I already fixed it then - I just changed the template not really knowing if it would or not. I don't think the users had Safari though.

Would it be too much to ask you to try and register and have a look around? Don't worry if you can't - I appreciate you taking a look in the first place!

Hoonay  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 16, 2003, 10:09 AM

This is odd - I'm still having problems with this one user being chucked off the 'forum' on my site and I cannot begin to think what could be causing the problem.

Can anyone think of any Mac related setting that would cause problems for someone viewing cgi-bin files? (or forms even).

The pages that are causing this person to be throw off are all in the cgi-bin. He says his browser displays and error msg and then closes.

I would be really grateful for any suggestions here - I'm truly stumped!!!

romeosc
Mac Elite
Dec 16, 2003, 11:41 PM

I can access fine using Safari, but the background colors are distracting!

justinf77
Forum Regular
Dec 16, 2003, 11:49 PM

I can also access your page fine using Safari, including the cgi-bin pages.

Thanks for taking us Mac users into account!

Hoonay  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 17, 2003, 05:54 AM

Thanks for taking a look both of you!

The background should be a jpeg/picture but I gather from another source that some people are not seeing it and it's just coming out a mess - perhaps it's corrupt. I'll have a play around with it later - if you don't mind, I might ask you to try viewing the page again later to see if it's improved.

Maybe that's the problem.

Thanks again!

Hoonay  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 20, 2003, 03:36 AM

I'm hoping I just fixed the picture.

If anyone has a random moment - maybe you can let me know if it looks any better now?

Thanks!

Hoonay  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 25, 2004, 11:09 AM

Hi again,

I need some Mac advice again! I want my site to be Mac friendly and as you can see I've dropped in here in the past to get some help with some errors that have occured. They always seem to be based around pictures for some reason.

I'm told by 2 Mac users that they can't see my main page properly.

The first page you see at www.rickywarwick.com should display some tour dates, some site credits and a large image occupying the centre of the page (which you click to enter the site).

I recently made changes to the tour dates (text) on that page and reloaded it with the amendments - and now Mac users can't see the picture.

I didn't touch the blimmin' picture! so why can't Mac users see it?

My question is could it be something to do with the way I FTP pages that affects Macs? Is there something I should know about?

Sorry for the ramble - it's been nearly a year since I started getting probs with Mac users and I'd love to get to the bottom of it.

Soph

lavar78
Professional Poster
Aug 25, 2004, 10:11 PM

I've tried it on all four browsers on my Mac (Safari, Firefox, Camino, OmniWeb) and the picture shows up in all four. That being said, I noticed a few of things:

1. The table height of the San Antonio date is 36 when the height of all the others is 26.

2. The table width is 18% and the clickable image is 90%. That just seemed odd.

3. You're using the same font in every cell of the table, so you could've just set it once. You also might want to look at CSS.

It's been a long time since I did any HTML editing. BTW, are the tour dates supposed to be to the left of the image? AFAICT, Safari is displaying it that way (incorrectly, I'd guess) while the other 3 put the image below the table (so they can fulfill the 90% requirement, I think). IMHO, it looks better in Safari (image to the left).

I commend you for trying to make your site accessible to Mac users (and users in general). Keep up the good work!

JKT
Professional Poster
Aug 26, 2004, 07:42 AM

A few comments and suggestions:

There are a number of different browsers for MacOS and it would help if we knew which one (and which version) is being used by this person who is having the problems. It would also help if we knew what version of MacOS they are using.

For OS 9 and earlier there are:

Internet Explorer, Netscape, iCab, Mozilla and a few others I can't recall

For OS X there are:

IE, Netscape, Mozilla, FireFox, Camino, OmniWeb, iCab, Shiira, Opera, Safari and a few others again.

When developing your websites, if you aren't doing so already, use the Mozilla browser as your primary to check your pages and not Internet Explorer. If it looks right in Mozilla then it is much more likely to look right in all browsers. It also has the added benefit of being completely cross-platform.

Try using http://validator.w3.org/ to check your code. Yours contains a number of errors.

Hoonay  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 27, 2004, 03:13 AM

Thanks for all the comments/suggestions.

I've got it down to the fact that some Mac users with IE cannot view the image that should be displayed on that page and I'm working on getting the Mac users OS and browser version. It's hard work pestering site visitors!

You can clearly see I'm no whizz and CSS is something I have to get to grips with. I only have the one browser on my Win XP OS - Internet Explorer. I've taken on your points about Mozilla though.

The tour dates should be on the left as the artist wants them there for some bizarre reason. I dont think it looks that great and god only knows what I did to the tables.

Re: the code errors - that site is great for checking them!! thanks for linking it!!!! It comes up with the same errors on my site than it does for loads of others though? Like www.bbc.co.uk or www.thisislondon.com so not sure if it's coincidence or just me being useless with html as per usual!

Forum Links
Forum Rules