Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Memory - iMac G5

Memory - iMac G5
Jake_11
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 1, 2004, 01:40 AM

I am new to Macs, recently purchasing a 17" iMac 1.8Mhz. I am looking to upgrade the memory from the standard 256MB. I am used to Windows machines and I know that Kingston Hyper X and Corsair XMS is the choice for performance users. I would like to know does the same hold true to Macs. Would the iMac G5 benefit from the higher performance memory or would it be a waste of money? I also read in another thread the iMac supports dual channel memory, so I was thinking about purchasing 2 sticks of 512MB each. Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated.

PEHowland
Forum Regular
Oct 1, 2004, 03:53 AM

Originally posted by Jake_11:
I am new to Macs, recently purchasing a 17" iMac 1.8Mhz. I am looking to upgrade the memory from the standard 256MB. I am used to Windows machines and I know that Kingston Hyper X and Corsair XMS is the choice for performance users. I would like to know does the same hold true to Macs. Would the iMac G5 benefit from the higher performance memory or would it be a waste of money? I also read in another thread the iMac supports dual channel memory, so I was thinking about purchasing 2 sticks of 512MB each. Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated.
Higher Performance memory implies two things: 1) faster timings (eg, CAS latency, tRCD, tRCP, etc); and 2) ability to work at higher clock speeds. For most PC enthusiasts, the latter is of prime importance, as it allows them greater headroom in overclocking their machine. Overclocking a Mac is far harder than overclocking a PC, as their is no BIOS support for overclocking. Therefore, it's only timings that are of interest. However, not all PC memory will be stable in a Mac as the timings programmed in the memory's firmware may not be appropriate. You would therefore be better off getting memory specifically approved for the Mac - I would recommend something like Mushkin's Graphite memory for Macs. This is high performance and recommended for Macs - $222 for 2x512MB.
Paul

Wassenaar, The Netherlands.

Home: iMac G5 1.8GHz
Work: Powermac Quad and MacbookPro 17" C2D

Jake_11  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 2, 2004, 07:06 PM

Thanks for the response. Is there an online store that you prefer?

PEHowland
Forum Regular
Oct 3, 2004, 01:39 AM

Originally posted by Jake_11:
Thanks for the response. Is there an online store that you prefer?
You can buy Mushkin memory direct from them - www.mushkin.com
Paul

Wassenaar, The Netherlands.

Home: iMac G5 1.8GHz
Work: Powermac Quad and MacbookPro 17" C2D

Forum Links
Forum Rules