Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > G5 iMac owners

G5 iMac owners
robo74
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 5, 2004, 10:32 PM

Have seen some posts when you first got it, but now that time has passed, how is it going?

Try any games yet?
Seen some bench marks, but I want to hear from users.

What Apps do you use? Photoshop? UT2K4?

Give me some thougts!

Rob

anti-sleep
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 5, 2004, 10:56 PM

Coming from an 867 MHZ powerbook to a 1.6 G5 iMac is a huge improvement. Everything is noticably faster, but it really comes in handy with Photoshop and Reason 2.5. Definitely worth the money I spent.

jrramsey
Forum Regular
Oct 5, 2004, 11:00 PM

Got my 20 inch/1GB/250Gig/AP Express/Wireless Keyboard Mouse about a week ago.

I've run Halo, Photoshop, Maya, FinalCut Pro and the rest of the Microsoft suite. I also network with my PC (XP) via wireless and that is as smooth as can be.

I haven't run any specs yet but the systems feels great. No lag or sluggishness. Halo graphics looked great and responded well (though I'm sure hard core gamers would rip the GPU while stating they need the 6800 as a minimum to perform). For about $2K, this is an awesome machine and the most bang for the buck around.

My only real comment is I wish they had a 2 button plu scroll mouse. I went ahead and plugged in my standard Logitech as it provides the greatest productivity. I'm looking into "The BT Mouse" as a 3rd party alternative.

Overall, I give it a 9.4 out of 10 based on performance, value, and usability.

Jake_11
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 5, 2004, 11:30 PM

I got a 17" 1.8MHz 256MB, 80GB almost 2 weeks ago. it is my first Mac, i have only owned pc's before so i can't compare it to other macs. I tried to run one of the free games with the dinasaurs and it was somewhat glitchy. i think the problem was with the standard 256MB of memory. I have ran MS Office and many iLife apps which all run well. I have read that there is a big performance increase when going to atleast 512MB of RAM, so i have ordered more. Overall i am very happy with it. I really like the design. The display is amazing, very sharp and clear picture. I wish we could upgrade the graphics card though.

taldrich
Oct 6, 2004, 07:19 AM

G5 20" 1.8 Ghz 250GB 1GB RAM arrived yesterday. Upgrade from iMac G4 800mhz. FANTASTIC. Looks great, the firewire transfer from the old computer was effortless (about 1 hour for 60GB or so of data) an the screen is big and bold.

I got a wireless keyboard and mouse this time and the whole thing is so minimal.

Performance is a real uplift - editing in iMovie much quicker.

And interestingly I managed to prise off my iSight from the old machine and stick it to the new one without much difficulty.

Since my wife is well impressed also, a winner on every front.
"most people are fools, most authority is malignant, god does not exist and everything is wrong" - Ted Nelson

Forum Links
Forum Rules