Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > How to my iMac G4 to output whatever is on the screen to Firewire

How to my iMac G4 to output whatever is on the screen to Firewire
Lebodde
Forum Regular
Dec 12, 2004, 12:36 PM

I'm trying to record a live video feed from the internet. It is on Windows Media Player (yuk!)

I've tried to use Snapz Pro X from Ambrosia which is pretty cool but I'm having a lot of "hiccuping" in the audio for some reason.

So I thought I would try to record it directly to my Digital8 camera. It has a Firewire in/out which I use to edit videos with iMovie. But according to the manual I should also be able to record through it. Unfortunately it doesn't seem like any signal is coming out of the computer FW port automatically. Do I need to do something special to whatever is on the screen to be sent to the iMac's Firewire port so I can just press Record on my camcorder?

I'm not sure if this is software or hardware issue. I have the iMac 17inch G4.

Thanks for any help.

Amorya
Mac Elite
Dec 12, 2004, 03:00 PM

I'm pretty sure this isn't possible in real time - it'd require realtime compressing into DV format by the Mac, which would be just as CPU intensive as Snapz!

You could, however, connect a TV out port to the analogue input on your camcorder - most laptops have such a port, and you can get converters for desktops.

Amorya
What the nerd community most often fail to realize is that all features aren't equal. A well implemented and well integrated feature in a convenient interface is worth way more than the same feature implemented crappy, or accessed through a annoying interface.

Lebodde  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 12, 2004, 08:56 PM

Thanks Amorya.

I have hooked up the audio and video out of the mac to the camcorder. For some reason, I am getting the audio to the camera but not the video. Do I need a prticular setting to activate the video out part?

Thanks a lot.

Amorya
Mac Elite
Dec 12, 2004, 09:49 PM

Originally posted by Lebodde:
Thanks Amorya.

I have hooked up the audio and video out of the mac to the camcorder. For some reason, I am getting the audio to the camera but not the video. Do I need a prticular setting to activate the video out part?

Thanks a lot.
How've you hooked it up?

You can't use Firewire for this one I'm afraid - you need to use analogue video. If your Mac has a built-in analogue video out port it'll probably be an S-video port. They're round and have 4 pins. You can convert them to composite video, which is a standard phono (RCA) cable.

If you don't have one of those, you might be able to use an adaptor. I know Apple make adaptors for powerbooks to convert the mini-DVI or mini-VGA port into an analogue video out port. They might work for you - they're about $10 from Apple store.

If that doesn't work, you'll probably need some kind of converter (or to borrow a laptop). I don't know anything about converters - maybe ask in the DV forums if you want one...

Assuming it's all connected properly, you may need to tell the camcorder to accept analogue input. I think mine does it automatically (a Canon 630i), but yours may not - look through the settings in the menu.

Amorya
What the nerd community most often fail to realize is that all features aren't equal. A well implemented and well integrated feature in a convenient interface is worth way more than the same feature implemented crappy, or accessed through a annoying interface.

Forum Links
Forum Rules