Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > New Yorkers: What is this a picture of?

New Yorkers: What is this a picture of?
memory-minus
Senior User
May 29, 2005, 01:01 PM

Been wondering this for a while.

Buckaroo
Professional Poster
May 29, 2005, 01:20 PM

Could it be some kind of projects housing?

James L
Mac Elite
May 29, 2005, 01:35 PM

Kinda reminds me of the projects, which was a series of housing developments built along the river near the brooklyn bridge.

If I remember the story correctly, the projects were built for servicemen returning from WW2, and many of them got jobs at the naval ship yard across the river in Brooklyn.

The US Navy closed the shipyard in the 60's (I think), which in turn led to the unemployment of thousands of people who moved on, leaving the projects area.

Now, I could be, and probably am, totally wrong about this as I live on the west coast, in a different country for that matter! But, having said that, compare your pic to this:

...and look at the shape and design of some of the buildings behind the pier and the bridge. They look pretty similar. The only problem of course is I don't see the river in your pics!

Now I am curious too...

Cheers,

James

Apple Pro Underwear
Addicted to MacNN
May 29, 2005, 02:51 PM

i would hazard a guess as the projects on the west side of chinatown. i think they may be called the "Smith" or "George Washington" projects. this is by no means a "project" as you think it is. i have friends who live there. I would prefer to call it PRIME REAL ESTATE. imagine living in downtown manhatten for regulated cheap rent!!!! plus it's located right across the street from the NYC police headquarters!

my clues were that an aerial view would be easy to take because further west is the financial buildings and they get taller than the projects. in brooklyn, it would have to be helicopter.

maxintosh
Mac Elite
May 29, 2005, 02:57 PM

That doesn't really look like Manhattan to me... the spacing of the buildings is weird and there are a lot of trees but no park, and it doesn't look like a pier either... I was going to guess the Bronx. I've seen buildings like that before on Amtrak before it enters the tunnel.

f1000
Professional Poster
May 29, 2005, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by memory-minus

That's a picture of Stuyvesant Town. The area that you see in the photo is roughly bounded by 1st Avenue, E 23rd Street, E 14th Street, and the East River.

http://www.pcvst.com/map.asp
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=New+Yo...5235&t=k&hl=en

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
May 29, 2005, 04:53 PM

It certainly looks like a very uniform housing complex.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

maxintosh
Mac Elite
May 29, 2005, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by f1000
That's a picture of Stuyvesant Town. The area that you see in the photo is roughly bounded by 1st Avenue, E 23rd Street, E 14th Street, and the East River.

http://www.pcvst.com/map.asp
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=New+Yo...5235&t=k&hl=en
Interesting... thanks

Things look so different from the ground...

ghporter
Administrator
May 29, 2005, 06:28 PM

f1000, what's the background on this area? Was it projects or something else?

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

MaxPower2k3
Mac Elite
May 29, 2005, 06:59 PM

That place looks cool, especially from above. Didn't know about it before. And i'll be going to school about 2 blocks from there in the fall.

"I start fires!"

f1000
Professional Poster
May 29, 2005, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter
f1000, what's the background on this area? Was it projects or something else?
I don't know any specifics; I do know that the complex abuts the notorious Alphabet City to the south, which has been rapidly gentrifying.

Ratm
Mac Elite
May 29, 2005, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by memory-minus

It looks like the Queensbridge housing community. Also known as The Projects! QB's finest.

f1000
Professional Poster
May 29, 2005, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by Ratm
It looks like the Queensbridge housing community. Also known as The Projects! QB's finest.
You can see from this aerial photo that the Queensbridge Houses consist of apartment blocks with wings angled at 120 degrees (Y shaped). The apartment blocks in memory-minus' photo have wings that are angled at 90 degrees (cross shaped).

Forum Links
Forum Rules