Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Plastic/saran wrap ok to protect the iBook?

Plastic/saran wrap ok to protect the iBook?
Lebodde
Forum Regular
Jul 11, 2005, 02:34 PM

I am taking my iBook on a road trip and I built a little platform in the back of the minivan so the kids can watch dvds on the way.

Siince they will be using it, I want to protect it from the usual dirty fingers, crumbs, dust or even spills. The standard iSkin keyboard protector is only protecting the keys so that is not emough. I was wondering if there would be any problem applying a layer (or two) of saran wrap (the thin plastic wrap used fro wrapping food) over the whole top of the laptop. This would protect not only the keys but also the trackpad and all. Are there any issues with static electricity to be aware of for example?

Thanks a lot.

Bo

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jul 11, 2005, 03:15 PM

I'd be worried about heat issues with the wrap and a video playing.

Solution: Buy them books and let them read.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

Lebodde  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 11, 2005, 03:25 PM

I hear you about the books. But this is thirty hours in the van so some variety is going to be needed at some point.

As for the heat, how much heat is escaping from the keyboard "face" of the computer?

irus
Forum Regular
Jul 11, 2005, 04:07 PM

I think you should be alright as long as you don't block the vent on the left-hand side. However, something as simple as a sheet of paper or transparency may work better for what you're trying to do.

Nothing will totally protect the machine against spills. Therefore, it may be more effective to eliminate the problem at the source - prevent spills from occurring in the first place when computer is in use.

Ji Eun
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 11, 2005, 10:48 PM

it's simple, don't let them eat / drink while they're on the iBook. i'd certainly not wrap mine up in plastic or saran wrap for the same reason randman said.

12" iBook 1.2ghz / 1.2gb

Forum Links
Forum Rules