Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > How to properly secure a laptop in the car?

How to properly secure a laptop in the car?
Lebodde
Forum Regular
Jul 12, 2005, 07:41 PM

I built a platform on which my ibook can rest in our minivan (honda Odyssey). It is attached right behind the tray which is between the two front seats and is facing backwards so the kids can watch dvds on long trips. The last piece of the the puzzle is how to secure the computer to this wooden platform.

I was thinking of using two straps, running on each side of the hinge that flips the screen up. So they would run perpendicular to the keyboard and end up on the left and right of the trackpad. This would obscure some keys but would leave the trackpad fully accessible which is the most important. When the screen is open, there is just enough space to slide a strap between the screen and the base on either side of the main hinge.

The problems here is that I am concerned about marks being left by the strap rubbing against the edges of the base, I am also a bit worried about the straps pushing down on some of the keys and wreaking havoc. Does anyone have a good way to secure a laptop to a wooden base? Is there some kind of docking station to which it can be attached and which can then be bolted to the platform?

Thanks a lot for any help.

Bo

f1000
Professional Poster
Jul 16, 2005, 10:41 AM

I'd be very careful about making that sort of modification to your car. If you get into an accident, that PowerBook could end up taking someone's head off.

Secondly, cars are a bad place for operating hard drives. You'd want to add some cushioning to the laptop.

Since EBCDIC
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 22, 2005, 02:57 PM

I've had my PowerBook on my lap on at least three 7-hour trips to Burning Man, over bumps, without a problem. So I wouldn't freak out. Of course, a serious pothole could make enough of a jolt that you could be left with a pretty paperweight. But it might be worth it. It may never happen. You have to weigh the risks.

Generally I don't care about the finish on my PBs once I've had them a half-year. Neither of us is getting any prettier. But I would be worried about the straps rubbing on the keys. Play around with your system and see if you can figure out a way of having the straps covering just the four corners. And that comment about securing it well enough for a crash is a good thing about which to think.

You might also want to check out police supply websites. They have a laptop tray that's secure enough for police cruisers nationwide to be toting laptops by the dashboard-mounted shotgun. That might be what you want, or give you more ideas.

Or, better yet, wean the rugrats from DVDs and let them listen to audio books, color, read, or play the license plate game. Heck, you might even want to talk to them. (Just kidding. I have two kids and that talking thing is way over-rated :-)
Since EBCDIC
Using Macs since they were Lisas.

CyberGreg
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 26, 2005, 09:28 AM

I installed a Pismo Powerbook using a BookEndz mounted to the back of the back seat (with rubber strips under it) and then used long velcro straps to semi secure it in place. I never had a problem in more than a year and a half. I had a front mounted 12" LCD touch panel.

I do think you should mount it so it can wiggle a little. If the mounting is too firm the bumps will be transmitted directly into the laptop and hard drive. It seems that you're mounting it kind of on the chassis. Try driving around with a short piece of wood placed on the floor and your laptop right on top of the wood. The bumps will be felt. I suggest some type of cushioning mount, rubber, felt, cardboard, etc...

Edit: linkage...
Mac's Rule!

13.3" 1.83 MacBook, 2GB, 120GB
13.3" 1.83 MacBook, 2GB, 80GB
Mac Mini PVR, 1.66Ghz w/2GB, eyeTV 2.0, 100GB HD and 50" DLP
Mac Mini, 1.83Ghz (before Apple released one) w/2GB, 80GB HD and 20" LCD

romeosc
Mac Elite
Jul 31, 2005, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by CyberGreg
I installed a Pismo Powerbook using a BookEndz mounted to the back of the back seat (with rubber strips under it) and then used long velcro straps to semi secure it in place. I never had a problem in more than a year and a half. I had a front mounted 12" LCD touch panel.

I do think you should mount it so it can wiggle a little. If the mounting is too firm the bumps will be transmitted directly into the laptop and hard drive. It seems that you're mounting it kind of on the chassis. Try driving around with a short piece of wood placed on the floor and your laptop right on top of the wood. The bumps will be felt. I suggest some type of cushioning mount, rubber, felt, cardboard, etc...

Edit: linkage...
I use a Lap tray that has a bean bag type pillow on top, great, the TIPB sinks into it and is pretty secure.

CyberGreg
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 1, 2005, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by romeosc
I use a Lap tray that has a bean bag type pillow on top, great, the TIPB sinks into it and is pretty secure.
Cool idea... Does the laptop get hot? I remember using my iBook in a similar fashion and it got very hot.

Mac's Rule!

13.3" 1.83 MacBook, 2GB, 120GB
13.3" 1.83 MacBook, 2GB, 80GB
Mac Mini PVR, 1.66Ghz w/2GB, eyeTV 2.0, 100GB HD and 50" DLP
Mac Mini, 1.83Ghz (before Apple released one) w/2GB, 80GB HD and 20" LCD

Forum Links
Forum Rules