Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > J. Crew - er, J.Cruel.com

J. Crew - er, J.Cruel.com
Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 7, 2005, 10:50 PM

See here why J. Crew is in the bullseye: Link.

Then, if you want to really see what happens - VERY DISTURBING - click here.

I'll never buy another anything from them, period.

OpenStep
Senior User
Oct 7, 2005, 10:51 PM

It's this big!!! I swear!!!!11

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 7, 2005, 10:53 PM

What are you talking about? The skin that came off of a cat that was skinned while it was still alive?

Very funny.

OpenStep
Senior User
Oct 7, 2005, 10:56 PM

In case you didnt notice I never looked at the links

Cubeoid
Baninated
Oct 7, 2005, 11:49 PM

1 fried cat with dog sauce please.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 8, 2005, 12:58 AM

if you're buying fur from J.Crew or from any other retailer, there's no way to tell whose skin you're wearing.
PETA just wants everyone to stop selling/buying fur. They don't really care whether or not J. Crew is actually selling dog/cat.
Have they tested the fur trim sold by J. Crew for evidence of dog or cat DNA?
Can you prove the meat you're eating at McDonalds isn't actually elephant?
Until I see actual evidence (not anonymous video footage that could be from anywhere, not necessarily J. Crew's suppliers), this is nothing more than tired, unsupported PETA propaganda.

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 8, 2005, 01:37 AM

I don't care about possibilities.

Watch the video: It clearly shows hundreds of dogs stuffed into wire cages so tightly that they cannot move or stand up. Then it shows them throwing those cages onto the ground from a height of several feet like they are suitcases when in fact they are full of living and breathing and feeling cats and dogs. It clearly shows a cat being skinned alive.

That is what this is about.

J.Crew sucks.

Rolling Bones
Banned
Oct 8, 2005, 01:39 AM

Man that video was fcuked.

Makes you wanna hate the Chinese. How could anyone be like that.

Sick sick sick

No wonder they invent stuff like bird flu.

Yuk...I feel like hiding in my comfy little cave and fcuk the rest of the world.

( Last edited by Rolling Bones; Oct 8, 2005 at 01:51 AM. )

Cubeoid
Baninated
Oct 8, 2005, 02:53 AM

Originally Posted by Rolling Bones
I feel like hiding in my comfy little cave and fcuk the rest of the world.
You shouldn't let things like this get you down. Go out and be confident. Also, you don't have a cave, only monsters and Osama Bin Laden live in caves.

brapper
Professional Poster
Oct 8, 2005, 02:59 AM

Be vegetarian, shop responsibly.
Boom. Problem solved.

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Oct 8, 2005, 03:06 AM

ehh, they do it to chickens here and you people eat those with little fanfare.

Plus anything PETA has to say I pretty much laugh at due to its stupidity which is always the case with what YDC has to say. Who fcking cares what they due to strays in China. I am sure the sweatshops there with six year olds working 15 hour days are slightly more disconcerting and 99% of you still buy those goods.

If it takes a couple dead kittens to get my sweaters extra fluffy who's to say we all aren't better off because of it.
Well done J Crew! Well done indeed

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

Mac Elite
Oct 8, 2005, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by Rolling Bones
Man that video was fcuked.

Makes you wanna hate the Chinese. How could anyone be like that.

Sick sick sick

No wonder they invent stuff like bird flu.

Yuk...I feel like hiding in my comfy little cave and fcuk the rest of the world.

This has nothing to do with the Chinese race. I'm rather shocked at the video, but it doesn't give us the right to stereotype an entire race.

That could have easily been an American, Italian, or Canadian (well not a race) skinning that cat. It's important to recognize it as the evil of individuals.
( Last edited by 11011001; Oct 8, 2005 at 08:49 AM. )

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 8, 2005, 08:43 AM

If you eat chickens or eggs from non barn/organic sources then you've got no reason to complain. This sort of stuff happens every day in intensive rearing camps, ooops, farms in the western world.

Hugi
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 8, 2005, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by Mastrap
If you eat chickens or eggs from non barn/organic sources then you've got no reason to complain. This sort of stuff happens every day in intensive rearing camps, ooops, farms in the western world.
Sorry, but your point is completely irrelevant. You know full well that chickens aren't cute enough for anyone to care.

Pendergast
Mac Elite
Oct 8, 2005, 09:26 AM

Dog fur is the best for raincoat.

Dunno about cats' though.
"Criticism is a misconception: we must read not to understand others but to understand ourselves.”

Emile M. Cioran

bad_quote
Baninated
Oct 8, 2005, 10:33 AM

China is ****ing awful. Period. They just don't give a sh*t about anything really. Dogs? Sure. Cats? Boil them alive. The environment? F*ck no, we throw whatever we want into the rivers and have some of the filthiest cities in the world and we really don't give a damn if our entire country becomes one big polluted vat of sh*t. Human life? Meh. We don't really care. We'll squish all our baby girls so we have a 25:1 guy to girl ratio, and we kill people all the time.

F*ck china. Let's go to war with those bastards, instead of iraq for oil. China sucks. I don't understand how someplace with so much life ends up not giving a rats ass about anything.

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 8, 2005, 11:25 AM

That is beyond disturbing Cody. Couldn't really watch it all. Such a heinous thing to do to an animal.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

Apple Pro Underwear
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 8, 2005, 12:20 PM

HOLD ON — how is J CRew directly linked to this?

they buy fur from china? they buy lots of stuff. J Crew kills animals? I KILL ANIMALS. I just had curry chicken last night. IT WAS YUMMY

geez, you get so wrapped up into ridiculous social causes. donates some $$$ to red cross and shut up already.

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 8, 2005, 04:23 PM

Hi WDLove:

I will have to iChat you. I have been up all night long.

Big hugs,

XOXO

And, yes, JCruel is a terrible company and the Chinese that do that to animals are earning bad karma.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 8, 2005, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by Cody Dawg
the Chinese that do that to animals are earning bad karma.
Actually what they deserve is a trade barrier.

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 8, 2005, 05:13 PM

Yes, TETENAL, I agree.

But, America won't do it. Wal-Mart props up our crappy economy and everything comes from China at Wal-Mart...which should actually be called China-Mart.

brokenjago
Mac Elite
Oct 8, 2005, 06:10 PM

Our entire economy would collapse if we stopped trading with China, so as much as I support the cause, I don't think it's gonna happen anytime soon.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 8, 2005, 06:48 PM

To clarify that a little bit: I didn't ask for trading with China to being stopped. I was only asking for trade barriers against those companies or branches who disrespect basic moral principles which we deem universal.

Free trade is overall a beneficial thing, but capitalism must stand on a sound moral basis. And if we don't have to compete against companies that pull the skin of living animals, ruin the environment, or exploit their workforce with child-labor or inhumane working condition, then the west still can compete with Asia. If on the other hand our economy is going to collapse if you don't buy cheap fur that was pulled from living mammals, then we are doing something seriously wrong.

RobOnTheCape
Senior User
Oct 8, 2005, 07:27 PM

Everytime I see something like this I ask just what are we doing placing restrictions on trade and travel to Cuba, but welcoming countries like China with open arms. I know the reasons why, but such hippocracy is revolting.

Apple Pro Underwear
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 8, 2005, 07:29 PM

And, yes, JCruel is a terrible company and the Chinese that do that to animals are earning bad karma.
I Hope you inderstand that the CHinese that do that to animals don't give a crap about karma.

THEY ARE POOR. THEY SCRAP FOR A LIVING. THEY DON't HAVE LITTLE FROO FROO PETS LIKE YOU. THEY EAT THEM. BECUASE THEY ARE POOR.

I find it funny you care more about some stupid animals when there are economic issues that are causeing the people there to live much worse off than us.

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 8, 2005, 11:57 PM

They aren't eating them. They're treating them inhumanely - some are peoples' pets that they simply captured - they're skinning them alive.

I don't care if you're poor or not, what country you are from, what your situation is. A lot of people are very poor - think of the Jane sect from India - and they don't hurt animals.

Besides, this is about JCrew / JCruel.com which is an American company that buys items from a company that buys items knowing that animals were tortured in the making of those items.

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 9, 2005, 12:44 AM

The CEO of J. Crew is also one of the Apple Board of Directors. Does Millard Drexler send some J. Crew stuff to Steve Jobs?

demograph68
Professional Poster
Oct 9, 2005, 12:49 AM

Originally Posted by Captain Obvious

Plus anything PETA has to say I pretty much laugh at due to its stupidity which is always the case with what YDC has to say. Who fcking cares what they due to strays in China. I am sure the sweatshops there with six year olds working 15 hour days are slightly more disconcerting and 99% of you still buy those goods.

If it takes a couple dead kittens to get my sweaters extra fluffy who's to say we all aren't better off because of it.
Your cynicism impresses me. lmao!

Scifience
Mac Elite
Oct 9, 2005, 09:48 AM

How does the fact that it is dogs and cats make it worse?

I am totally against all forms of animal abuse, don't buy things with fur, eat only organic free-range meats, etc. However, I will say that I think PETA is full of **** a lot of times. I have no moral problem with eating animals - every creature on the planet (except most plants) eats other living things to survive. And why is eating an animal worse than eating a plant? So, while I am trying to eat a more vegetarian diet, it is purely for health rasons.

I have no problem whatsoever with people in China eating dogs and cats for FOOD. As disgusting as it may seem to us, it is, in reality, exactly the same as killing a chicken or a cow for that purpose. But something like fur is purely a fashion thing, and IMHO should not be allowed with one major exception: the fur comes from an animal that was killed for food purposes. In this case, it just makes sense to use all the parts of the animal.

bewebste
Senior User
Oct 9, 2005, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by Kenneth
The CEO of J. Crew is also one of the Apple Board of Directors. Does Millard Drexler send some J. Crew stuff to Steve Jobs?
OMG! Steve Jobs' turtlenecks are made from little black kitty cats! Noooooo!

Well, at least the whole OS X cat naming scheme makes more sense now...

</sarcasm>

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 9, 2005, 10:55 AM

That's actually a good post there, Kenneth.

I don't always agree with PETA either. I'm not some rabid PETA protestor who throws paint and/or blood on people and I'm not outside JCrew with a picket marching around.

But, I can also silently protest by never buying their crap and by telling everyone I know what JCrew is involved with via their inaction and apathy: They would rather not address this issue and remain silent while dogs and cats are tortured by being skinned alive than to simply say, "We are no longer going to buy any items that may have any type of dog or cat skins." How hard is that? Not hard at all. It's SO easy for them.

Yet, they don't care because they do nothing.

This means that they are implicitly approving of the torture and inhumane treatment of these poor dogs and cats...they do nothing at all.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Oct 9, 2005, 11:10 AM

You not going into J Crew won't change anything. The fact is, there's supply of fur because there is demand for fur. You can't blame a clothing store for carrying what people want. And why J Crew specifically? Just because its name makes a funny parody? If you and PETA wanna make a fuss about fur, why not complain about furriers first?!?

tooki

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 9, 2005, 11:14 AM

I do, tooki.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 9, 2005, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by bewebste
OMG! Steve Jobs' turtlenecks are made from little black kitty cats! Noooooo!

Well, at least the whole OS X cat naming scheme makes more sense now...

</sarcasm>
Coming Soon: OSX Calico?

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 9, 2005, 12:04 PM

I love calico cats.

They are really neat. Kind of like a beautiful cat quilt.

BlueSky
Mac Elite
Oct 9, 2005, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by tooki
You not going into J Crew won't change anything.
Sure it will. Or can.

You can't blame a clothing store for carrying what people want.
Sure I can. And do.

Dogs and cats in particular...we're responsible for them because we domesticated them.There are all kinds of archaic, barbaric traditions in the world's history that no longer take place because enough people finally agreed that the traditions were wrong. The agreements came about out of communication, and throwing my arms up and saying "oh well, that's what people want" only perpetuates the myth that an individual makes no difference. Eventually a critical mass of voices is heard, and corporations listen to that.

acadian
Senior User
Oct 9, 2005, 12:33 PM

What "Captain Oblivious" fails to recognize is that ethics do not cease to exist simply because it is convenient to ignore them....

....ponce...
( Last edited by acadian; Oct 9, 2005 at 01:48 PM. )
people ruin everything....

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 9, 2005, 12:42 PM

Dogs and cats in particular...we're responsible for them because we domesticated them.
That is so well put.

Thank you, bluesky.

And acadian, you're right also.

tracemhunter
Forum Regular
Oct 9, 2005, 12:54 PM

umm who cares... i eat chicken, fish, cow, pig, and other meats. the only difference between dogs and cats, and farm animals is that some are used to pets. i am sure that if anyone had a pet chicken they would get offended by people eating chicken. if they are stray animals and nobody wants them, why not make use of them. and actually, i think i might order something from j. crew right now just because.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 9, 2005, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by tooki
You not going into J Crew won't change anything. The fact is, there's supply of fur because there is demand for fur. You can't blame a clothing store for carrying what people want.
Because people want fur doesn't mean that people want fur that was pulled of an animal while it was still alive. If people like Cody let the company know that they don't want that (don't just don't buy, write a letter or e-mail to tell them) then this might indeed make a difference. Multiple of such customer letters might at least increase the internal awareness of the problem within the company and I'm sure there work people there who don't like that too.

Also, tooki, in an industrialized economy production precedes demand. Demand is only created later on with the help of advertising. This is especially true in the fashion industry where collections are created a year before the season they are sold. They could have as well sold as much clothing with fake fur. Advertising that instead of real fur would mean little or no demand for real fur.

tracemhunter
Forum Regular
Oct 9, 2005, 01:24 PM

i think that if people can afford real fur, they will get it. it is a social thing. rich people dont want the same thing they can get at wal-mart or target. lower class gets what they can, middle class cares about name brands, and upper class cares about one of a kind.

TheMosco
Mac Elite
Oct 9, 2005, 02:17 PM

Maybe I am missing something, but is it even confirmed that jcrew gets its fur from these places? They know jcrew gets it from china but they know nothing of where it actually comes from in China.

I with everyone else that thinks this is stupid. Have you ever eaten chicken? How about turkey on thanksgiving? Unless you get free range turkey's, the same thing is happening to them that happens to those dogs in the video. Ever eaten beef? Own a pair of leather shoes, belt, or couch?

Unless you make your own clothes, there is no guarantee that it isn't made by child slave labor either. You should be boycotting everything clothes store, but I bet you don't.
AXP
ΔΣΦ

teknopimp
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 9, 2005, 02:44 PM

that article is bullsh*t because with everying else going on in China (human rights, nukes, environment) no one gives a gowddamn about the animals. you need to get out of your bubble and into the real word.

MacBook 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | Clamshell iBook G3 366MHz | 22" Cinema Display | iPod Mini | iPod shuffle | AirPort Express | Mighty Mouse

BlueSky
Mac Elite
Oct 9, 2005, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by teknopimp
that article is bullsh*t because with everying else going on in China (human rights, nukes, environment) no one gives a gowddamn about the animals. you need to get out of your bubble and into the real word.
In the real world, some people are big enough to care about all of it. Some people even bring their bubbles along with them, I know I do.

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Oct 9, 2005, 04:16 PM

Take on extra 25% off Fall sale items, though the kitty lined stuff is only 10% off, now through 10/10!
Automatically applied at checkout. Free shipping code on $100 or over: NZQL
http://jcrew.com/content/current/sale/

Ethics, Shmethics!!
I wonder if pajamas made from big eyed cuddly puppies are as warm as they claim.

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

Pendergast
Mac Elite
Oct 9, 2005, 05:03 PM

Take on extra 25% off Fall sale items, though the kitty lined stuff is only 10% off, now through 10/10!
Automatically applied at checkout. Free shipping code on $100 or over: NZQL
http://jcrew.com/content/current/sale/

Ethics, Shmethics!!
I wonder if pajamas made from big eyed cuddly puppies are as warm as they claim.
You should try their hushpuppies.
"Criticism is a misconception: we must read not to understand others but to understand ourselves.”

Emile M. Cioran

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 9, 2005, 05:26 PM

[b]bluesky
In the real world, some people are big enough to care about all of it. Some people even bring their bubbles along with them, I know I do.
Are you Bob Dylan in real life? Or Chris Martin? Because, man, you've really got it going on with lines like that.

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 9, 2005, 05:32 PM

Hi WDLove:

I will have to iChat you. I have been up all night long.

Big hugs,

XOXO

Hi Cody,

Yes, a Chat would be awesome. Hoping its nothing serious that kept you up all night.

Special Hugs to you also my friend

XOXO

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 9, 2005, 05:44 PM

That's actually a good post there, Kenneth.

I don't always agree with PETA either. I'm not some rabid PETA protestor who throws paint and/or blood on people and I'm not outside JCrew with a picket marching around.

But, I can also silently protest by never buying their crap and by telling everyone I know what JCrew is involved with via their inaction and apathy: They would rather not address this issue and remain silent while dogs and cats are tortured by being skinned alive than to simply say, "We are no longer going to buy any items that may have any type of dog or cat skins." How hard is that? Not hard at all. It's SO easy for them.

Yet, they don't care because they do nothing.

This means that they are implicitly approving of the torture and inhumane treatment of these poor dogs and cats...they do nothing at all.
BTW.. I thought the GAP CEO used to the on the Apple BOD too.

Originally Posted by Pendergast
You should try their hushpuppies.
I almost spilt my coffee .

Pendergast
Mac Elite
Oct 9, 2005, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by Kenneth
BTW.. I thought the GAP CEO used to the on the Apple BOD too.
Glad he's out.

I almost spilt my coffee .

Emile M. Cioran

Forum Links
Forum Rules