Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Unique audio question for you

Unique audio question for you
archie red
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 12, 2005, 11:24 PM

Well I think its unique because I cant find an answer anywhere so I'm hoping you might be able to help me. I have a 2003 G4 imac which had the old round apple speakers, connected through the apple minijack thing.

My imac is connected to big speakers in my house - no problem. Now I have a powerbook and I would love to use the round imac (apple pro) speakers with my PowerBook G4 but the only audio out on the powerbook is the headphone output. And the minijack on the apple speakers is too small.

Ideally I want some sort of adapter to convert the smaller minijack into a headphone plug, then I can just plug the speakers into my powerbook and have portable sound and all that. Does such a thing exist? Does anyone understand my problem. Let me know. All the best.

Archie

i posted this in both imac and powerbook forums as it falls into both.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Oct 13, 2005, 12:10 AM

It exists, but it costs more than a new set of comparable speakers.

tooki

P.S. It's hardly a unique question, and really belonged in Peripherals.

archie red  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 13, 2005, 12:28 AM

Originally Posted by tooki
It exists, but it costs more than a new set of comparable speakers.

tooki

P.S. It's hardly a unique question, and really belonged in Peripherals.

Thanks. I think.

Though if I knew it wasnt a unique question I probably wouldnt have asked it. So forgive me.

mattsgotredhair
Forum Regular
Oct 13, 2005, 12:56 AM

Why don't you splice the cables yourself? That would cost what... $3 tops? If ya do a good job, no one will ever notice, and then you won't have a huge adapter hangin off your book.
maybe you've been brainwashed too.

mattsgotredhair
Forum Regular
Oct 13, 2005, 01:10 AM

double post
maybe you've been brainwashed too.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Oct 13, 2005, 01:30 AM

There is a solution (note that it's the very first hit when Googling for "apple pro speaker adapter"), but it's rather pricey and the Apple Pro speakers aren't that good to begin with.

shunt
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 13, 2005, 05:11 PM

I'm not sure what you mean by "portable sound", unless you're gonna lug those speakers around everywhere...anyways, I'm not that familiar with those round apple speakers but if you need a small amp to power any regular speakers....

try this nifty solution...

The dome part is the on/off switch and volume, and it has a nice small footprint on your desktop. What's not pictured is the bottom where it has normal L/R speaker connectors.( you know the kind you just strip the wire insulation back a little/ spring connectors)

I bought two, and works great with the headphone out jack of everyything I own...plenty loud too, perfect for a dorm room or bedroom, and I had some brand new Tivoli bookshelf speakers sitting unused that now have found a purpose.

The nice thing about this is that if a speaker blows, no biggie ...regular speakers are cheap to replace compared to powered stuff.

If those round speakers you have aren't powered, just cut off the jacks and hookem up to it...I don't see a problem.

BTW-that photo is showing the back of it, the front is nice and smooth no connectors/switches/etc. ....just a green LED at the base.
( Last edited by shunt; Oct 13, 2005 at 05:18 PM. )
Please keep in mind the ambiguously selective general understandings we've all agreed upon...

archie red  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 13, 2005, 08:19 PM

thank you all . very helpful

Forum Links
Forum Rules