Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Did i make a bad call

Did i make a bad call
PappyAnn
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 8, 2005, 05:16 AM

my parents just ordered me a powerbook with the 120 gig hd ive read that 5400rm hard drives suck....
Is my powerbook going to suck??????
im going to be using it for minor recording but i did get 1 gig of ram

thanks guys you rule

inkhead
Senior User
Dec 8, 2005, 07:39 AM

No it will be fine. Looks like the forum screwed up.

It's a great machine. You can sell it in january if new powerbooks come out.

B Gallagher
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 8, 2005, 07:56 AM

5400 drives certainly don't suck. If you're only doing "minor" recording, it should be fine.
MBP 15" C2D 2.2GHz 4.0GB 500GB@5400
iPhone 4 32GB Black

rolfus
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 8, 2005, 08:00 AM

i think the 7200 is great, but i have never used other HD's since win3.11, and the computer i got before my PB was a desktop, so i am used to 7200

Dewaine
Dec 8, 2005, 09:19 AM

I do electronic music and use the stock Toshiba 5200, 60 gig that came in my 12" PB. I have no problems. I do not sream samples, I use AU and VST synths and have no issues. Ram is the big thing and I have my little 12" maxed at 1.25 gigs.

I do have an external 80 gig 7200 USB drive, but only use it for backups (as a matter of fact I only connect it to back up). If you do a lot of large sample streaming (gigastudio....etc) then it would be an issue. In that case its better to use a separate hard drive for your samples and OS anyway. So an external hard drive would be best anyway.

If you are recording external sources (Guitar, vocal, drums.....etc) your internal drive will be fine. You have a gig of ram and should be able to do what you need.
I now realize that I have made this over complecated but hope I helped.

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Dec 8, 2005, 09:27 AM

You'll be fine. If not, just send me your computer and I'm sure I can find a use for it.

sadpandas
Forum Regular
Dec 8, 2005, 06:49 PM

I have the 1.67 powerbook non wide and the thing is awesome. i have recorded 8 mics for drums live onto an external drive (firewire) using a motu 828 and the machine has no problesm with it. i also record lots of guitars, bass, and keyboards.... haven't had a hiccup. Where did you hear that "5400 sucks" anyway? i have one and use it without fail for all the guitars and overdubs. good luck and congrats on your new machine.
*Dual 2.8 quad core Mac Pro, 512 8800 GT, 1tb boot, 500gb audio, 340gb video, 6gb ram
*15"pb*1.67*128vm*100hd*2g ram*
*PMac*Dual 2.0GHz* 4g ram*
*3.0 p4 630* gigabyte848p775* radeon X800 Pro 256* 2g ram*

PappyAnn  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 8, 2005, 06:59 PM

I never heard it sucks i just thought omg a slow hd..... i actually just got it today i f-ing love this No more pc for me

Fusion
Senior User
Dec 8, 2005, 07:17 PM

The HD is not slow, in fact, the real world speeds between the two are about the same and your drive is quieter and has a larger capacity. Sounds like you made an excellent choice to me. Congratulations and enjoy your PowerBook.

sadpandas
Forum Regular
Dec 11, 2005, 08:49 PM

What Fusion said for sure. I think you will be pleased with your book. I have done a lot of recording on this thing as well as a couple attempts at remixes and a song for a dvd as well as little movies with imovie and i couldnt be happier. well, maybe i could if i had the newest book but as the saying goes 'if it aint broke...". I still have yet to upgrade to Tiger though... again, if it aint broke...
*Dual 2.8 quad core Mac Pro, 512 8800 GT, 1tb boot, 500gb audio, 340gb video, 6gb ram
*15"pb*1.67*128vm*100hd*2g ram*
*PMac*Dual 2.0GHz* 4g ram*
*3.0 p4 630* gigabyte848p775* radeon X800 Pro 256* 2g ram*

mattsgotredhair
Forum Regular
Dec 11, 2005, 09:34 PM

I would never use the system drive to record to anyways. I run an external firewire drive that I swap between my Powerbook and Powermac's at work. Recording to the system drive has just always been a big no-no for me. But then again, if you're only doing minor recording I guess the call is up to you.
maybe you've been brainwashed too.

Forum Links
Forum Rules