Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Playing Windows Media (.asf) files in QT

Playing Windows Media (.asf) files in QT
Avenir
Mac Elite
Sep 7, 2000, 12:15 AM

I have a Windows Media Player file (.asf) that I'd like to play on my computer, however, frankly, Windows Player is terrible and is very hard to control, stop, etc. Is there a way that I can open the file in QuickTime 4 (Pro) or some way that I can covert it so that I am able to open it? Thanks...

spike[at]avenirex[dot]com | Avenirex
IM - Avenirx | ICQ - 3932806

ssviland
Sep 7, 2000, 01:44 PM

In addition to just playing .asf files, is there a way, outside of using WMP to receive streaming media intended for WMP on a Mac? I have found the latest WMP for Mac to be even worse than the Windows version, and it wouldn't work with Netscape 4.7x. I had to quit my browser of choice, open Exploder, and suffer through a terrible release of WMP. Its just not worth it, even though its coming from a friend's site. (I know - tell my friend to use Quicktime. I've done that and he's given me the old, "I'll send this to my server guys at corporate HQ", runaround.

blizaine
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 24, 2000, 01:05 PM

the "asf" format is owned by Microsoft. They would be the only ones able to make such a "codec" for quicktime, and they would never do that. sorry :-\

Jake
Oct 10, 2000, 10:57 PM

It would really make more sense for Microsoft to just drop the mac port of WMP and just write an asf codec for QT player. Jobs would give it mad plugs at a MW keynote, mac users would have access to more files, and microsoft could claim that more users were using their format than before. As it stands now there is just a clunky piece of crap software that very few people use unless they absolutely HAVE to.

MultimediaMatt
Oct 11, 2000, 03:15 AM

Let's get a couple things straight here.

ASF stands for Advanced Streaming Format, and it's just that, a file format, NOT a codec. Just like Quicktime isn't a codec, but a 'wrapper' of different codecs and related technologies.

Most (and I'm talking a very large majority) of asf video streams are implemented with Microsoft's MPEG-4 v3 codec. This is where the trouble lies. The only mpeg-4 decoder available for MacOS presently is WMP....
With Windows Media 7, Microsoft has even gone as far as supporting a non-proprietary ISO MPEG-4 version 1 standard from which other devices and clients can receive and decode the video. I find it disappointing that Apple has made no progress or even made their plans public with regard to MPEG-4.

themotor
Oct 11, 2000, 05:01 AM

not to mention that the MPEG-4 standard is based on QuickTime.

Multimediamatt
Oct 14, 2000, 03:42 PM

No it isn't. The file format is based on QT4, which really doesn't mean much....

Forum Links
Forum Rules