Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Mac maintence?

Mac maintence?
Jake_11
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 9, 2006, 11:27 PM

I am still somewhat new to apple. Switching from Windows, I know we had to defrag hard drives and scan for spyware. Are there similar things that need to be done on my iMac? Do I need an anti-virus program, if so what one is recommended? Thanks in advance

BikerJonTN
Apr 9, 2006, 11:34 PM

You can use Anti-Virus software if it makes you more comfortable. I haven't used a single AV suite since switching to Apple over 3 years and 3 Macs ago. I have never had any malware on a Mac, in fact.

I'll let others attest to disk upkeep. Personally, I don't use it aside from the very rare repairing of permissions.

larrinski
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 9, 2006, 11:48 PM

I concur. I switched from Windows a couple of years ago and was worried about that stuff for a while. I downloaded ClamXav just to be safe.It is a free virus scanner. It found a couple of java type "viruses" and all I had to do was delete them...Our time will come I am sure, but for now there just isn't a lot to worry about. Congrats on the switch! You may need to reboot once in a while and repair permissions before and after any software installs.
My Blog-pakos.me

Aevron
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 10, 2006, 12:16 AM

If you're running Tiger, I've found this automator action to be helpful in keeping my Mac running smoothly.

http://www.apple.com/downloads/macos...intenance.html

badnewsblair
Senior User
Apr 10, 2006, 09:37 AM

The short answer to both questions is no.

Anti-virus is just a prverbial "Dumbo's feather". It just makes you feel safe, but there is no real reason to use it.

As far as maintaining your machine goes, you don't need to either. However, I come from a Windows background as well (just about 4 years ago) and I have the urge to tweak and keep things running at the optimal performance. I used a tool called Onyx (http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/20070) which is the mother of all optimization/cleaning utilities.
[ 15 inch Macbook Pro 2.8 GHz Core 2 Duo ][ 20 inch Intel iMac 2 GB RAM / 256 MB ATI XT 1600 ][ iPhone OG (3GS on Reservation)][ White iPod 5th Gen. 60GB ]

Chinasaur
Senior User
Apr 10, 2006, 04:59 PM

This thread really belongs in Applications.

I agree with BNB, Onyx rules. I use it before and after each upgrade and at least once a month.
iMac - Late 2015 iMac, 32GB RAM
MacBook - 2010 MacBook, 1TB SSD, 16GB RAM

Jake_11  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 10, 2006, 11:53 PM

Thanks for your relpies, I'll look into Onyx. I was worried it would eventually crash like Windows, I'm not use to the fact that it always works

badnewsblair
Senior User
Apr 12, 2006, 09:27 AM

It IS quite a different feeling.

A friend told me once about my Mac. "You just have to... let go. Just let go."
[ 15 inch Macbook Pro 2.8 GHz Core 2 Duo ][ 20 inch Intel iMac 2 GB RAM / 256 MB ATI XT 1600 ][ iPhone OG (3GS on Reservation)][ White iPod 5th Gen. 60GB ]

AppleSnapple84
Apr 19, 2006, 01:54 PM

You might like the little program called macaroni (http://www.atomicbird.com/), it quietly and automatically performs most of the usual UNIX maintenance, including permissions repair, without any fuss and absolutely no attention from you. You don't have to know anything about Mac OS X or UNIX to use it. It's shareware, pretty inexpensive. Professional Mac reviewers all rate it 5 stars.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 19, 2006, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by dalemeyn
You might like the little program called macaroni (http://www.atomicbird.com/), it quietly and automatically performs most of the usual UNIX maintenance, including permissions repair, without any fuss and absolutely no attention from you.
Permissions repair is not a maintenance issue.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

Forum Links
Forum Rules