Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Wanting to start working with digital audio

Wanting to start working with digital audio
David2213
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 27, 2006, 12:33 PM

I want to get into editing and creating music on my computer. I literally have no experience at this but think it would be a fun hobby. What kind of software do i need? Will garageband work? I know there is better software such as Soundtrack and logic pro but i would rather not spend $700-1200. Any help would be appriciated. Also are there any good online tutorials or other things to help me get started. Thanks alot.
2.2 i7 MacBook Pro 8GB Ram 1TB HD
16 GB iPhone 4
Apple TV 2 x3

k_munic
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2006, 01:49 AM

as a beginner, I would start with Gargageband, it teaches you the basics of "music making"; you can play with ready-made loops + with self-played keyboard music/imported, ready made midi files + any anlogue input (voice, guitar, ...).

your system should handle a few (8-10) tracks, which is for a beginner far enough; GB has also some basic "processors" as reverbs, flangers, compressors, pitchers, etc.

depending on what kind of music you make, you can later upgrade to pro-tools as Logic, Traktor etc.... (Soundtrack is "just" GB on anabolics...)

LadiDami
Apr 30, 2006, 05:04 PM

If you start getting serious about music, check out the digidesign Mbox or Mbox2.
ProTools is the way to go.

anim8ing
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 30, 2006, 10:22 PM

I'd like more info on this as well. I've been thinking about doing some recording for some friends... I have Soundtrack Pro right now, and it works well on my intel mac, but i'd have to buy some recording equipment. . . Any thoughts on this ?

LadiDami
May 2, 2006, 12:45 AM

If you're just getting started, you don't need very professional software. If you can boot in OS9 you can run ProTools FREE, available from the Digidesign website. Otherwise, go with an Mbox for about $400 and run ProTools LE on OSX, which is much smoother.
As far as audio hardware goes (amps, mics, etc.) work with what you have until you have enough money to buy a nice, decent mic/amp setup. VansEvers cabling is also the best that I've found. Absolutely eliminates all electrical noises, pops, etc.
The Mbox even comes with Reason Adapted, Live, and a bunch of other recording apps I really haven't used. Reason and Live come in handy a lot, though.

mattsgotredhair
Forum Regular
May 3, 2006, 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by cody
VansEvers cabling is also the best that I've found.
I'd say Mogami is the best!
maybe you've been brainwashed too.

Forum Links
Forum Rules