Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > This "SERMON SEASON" of South Park Sux Azz

This "SERMON SEASON" of South Park Sux Azz (Page 2)
d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 11, 2006, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by abe
Yes, you may consider me amazing.
don't worry, i'm over it now.

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 13, 2006, 12:39 AM

i thought this one was great.

abe  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 13, 2006, 01:00 AM

Originally Posted by d4nth3m4n
i thought this one was great.

No you didn't!

It was perfectly uninspired and pedestrian.

I smiled three times and laughed twice.

Vulgarity = Smile.

Nonsense word = Smile.

Irony = Laugh.

Rhyming vulgarity = Laugh.

Potty humor = Smile.
Throughout the episode I'm sitting there hoping to be entertained. But instead of the usual smile I have on my face it's like I'm sitting there watching Law & Order or the evening news or something.

The jokes were cheap, they resorted to turning the camera (as it were) on their own behind the scenes situation. That's a sign of creative desperation. At a certain point where they are talking about the creative process I was thinking these South Park writers must use the Mad Libs method of writing and then we see the Family Guy writers supposed using a similar method.
Just despicably embarrassing way to write and they fess up to it and even cannibalize on THAT by throwing it in the episode.

Then, they realize what it is they are doing and fess up to it again but this time in a line of dialogue.

They use characters from other shows as a cheap stunt to attract viewers and cause ripples about the show. You can't do that more than once a season without it being obvious to ALL!

You can't have more than one two-part episode per season. Looks like they are running out of desperate stunts to get out of the season.

There is a French phrase that one of the character uses which is TOTALLY out of character for him and the writers might say it was their attempt to be clever or ironic, but I think it is evidence of fuzzy brained liberals getting to cutesy for their own good and taking liberties they have no right to do.

They have only one plotline going on in the episode and that makes the show drag and drag and they are forced to pad the action by stretching certain scenes that are dull and boring.

Because they have nothing funny to say they invent things for the characters to do and say which are just weird and not cool or funny.

This was an awful example of C- writing.

I can't understand how you can say you loved it!
( Last edited by abe; Apr 13, 2006 at 02:00 AM. )
America should know the political orientation of government officials who might be in a position to adversely influence the future of this country. http://tinyurl.com/4vucu5

abe  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 13, 2006, 02:19 AM

As a point of comparison I'm watching the LOTR episode and stopped counting at 4:00 into the show when I'd exceeded 3 laughs and 4 smiles.
America should know the political orientation of government officials who might be in a position to adversely influence the future of this country. http://tinyurl.com/4vucu5

CRASH HARDDRIVE
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 13, 2006, 02:20 AM

Wow, some people sure do take Television WAY too seriously.

And for that, I am grateful. But still… whoosh.

abe  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 13, 2006, 02:56 AM

Originally Posted by CRASH HARDDRIVE
Wow, some people sure do take Television WAY too seriously.

And for that, I am grateful. But still… whoosh.
I watch it for fun but appreciate some of the production values and what goes into making it as great as it has been. I want it to stay as funny as it can be.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Apr 13, 2006, 04:02 AM

Originally Posted by abe
As a point of comparison I'm watching the LOTR episode and stopped counting at 4:00 into the show when I'd exceeded 3 laughs and 4 smiles.
Try watching it again on a day when the insanity ebbs off a little.

I know my appreciation for different sorts of humor varies widely by day, mood, chemicals in the bloodstream, etc.

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Apr 13, 2006, 11:15 AM

At least it made fun of its own preachiness. I assume that was you "irony" laugh, abe?
"You rise," he said, "like Aurora."

Forum Regular
Apr 13, 2006, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by abe
I can't understand how you can say you loved it!
I loved it because it was hilarious.

abe  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 13, 2006, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by Stradlater
At least it made fun of its own preachiness. I assume that was you "irony" laugh, abe?
Exactly! And that was pretty funny, in a weak kind of way. The other laugh was when a certain "character" said a particular word that character is known for and added a rhyme to it which made me laugh.

THOSE were the ONLY two laughs out of the whole 30 minutes.

I smiled two times before the 13:00 mark and once after that. At the very end.

I think I MAY try watching several different cartoon shows to see if there is any that is LESS funny than South Park has been this season.

And since I only 'scored' this episode it will serve as the benchmark for mediocrity.

2 Laughs and 3 Smiles in :30.

I'll call it The Limbo Scale. "...how LOW can you GO?"

abe  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 13, 2006, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by
I loved it because it was hilarious.
I'm happy that you were so well entertained. Do you also still put catsup on all your food?

analogika
Posting Junkie
Apr 13, 2006, 04:26 PM

You know you have a serious problem when you're sitting in front of a TV show with a stop watch counting laughs.

abe  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 13, 2006, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by analogika
You know you have a serious problem when you're sitting in front of a TV show with a stop watch counting laughs.
Because it doesn't ceaselessly flash, "12:00," the only other things I needed were the fingers of one hand.

No stopwatch.

But the way some here go on about how funny they think this season has been, I think they could find amusement just watching the VCR clock.

Back in the day, I used to say pot made everything more fun!

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 13, 2006, 05:28 PM

Come on, how can you not enjoy Jesus crapping on President Bush? That's comedy gold

But anyway, the show has always been preachy, nothing different about this season. And I do get tired of it from time to time.

Forum Regular
Apr 13, 2006, 06:12 PM

Abe, it's obvious that you are looking for reasons NOT to laugh or smile if you are counting the number of times it happens. Just stop watching the show already and go on with your life, the rest of us who still think the show is hilarious can enjoy it without the need for your approval.

abe  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 13, 2006, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by itai195
Come on, how can you not enjoy Jesus crapping on President Bush? That's comedy gold

But anyway, the show has always been preachy, nothing different about this season. And I do get tired of it from time to time.
I am trying NOT to give away the few surprises this episode has to offer therefore I intentionally didn't specify what the funny scenes are/were.

But, yes, that brought a smile.

And in THIS instance they were drawing a clear distinction between how we treat our most dearly held icons and leaders vs. how the Muslims feel about theirs.

But don't get me started on the use of bathroom humor and profanity!

abe  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 13, 2006, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by
Abe, it's obvious that you are looking for reasons NOT to laugh or smile if you are counting the number of times it happens. Just stop watching the show already and go on with your life, the rest of us who still think the show is hilarious can enjoy it without the need for your approval.
It's interesting to me that you can't accept the fact that I'm right and your sense of humor is still in the process of gaining discernment.

You know something is funny. But you don't know how or why. And as long as the MAJOR aspects of the cartoon remain somewhat recognizable you'll continue laughing.

When you go to a party and the host starts you out with a fine imported or domestic premium beer you enjoy the top quality taste but you ALSO enjoy the fact that it's an exclusive brew.

Well, after the first round how would you feel if they switched beers on you and served you a Blatz beer?

Some of you will say it doesn't matter. Anything that's cold, wet and alcoholic will do.

Some will say they are offended that the cheap stuff is being served in the same bottles as the good stuff.

I, in this metaphor, am saying I know the difference and I want the good stuff and the people who don't know the difference, then let them drink the Blatz! But give me Becks!

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Apr 13, 2006, 08:14 PM

South Park is by far the best animated series I have seen coming from the US the last decade or so. IMO the Simpsons are a very very distant second, since they are just.. always the same.

Family guy on the other hand is perhaps the lames attempt yet at something funny. I had heard good things from people about Family guy so I bought the first season on DVD and after watching it I gave it away. Family guy IMO is a sad sad attempt at humor relying on name dropping rather than actual humor.

I LMAO in the South Park episode "Cartoon Wars" when Cartman lost it because he was compared to Family guy!

Originally Posted by Cartman
"I am nothing like Family Guy! When I make jokes, they are inherent to a story, deep situational and emotional jokes based on what is relevant and has a point, not just one random interchangable joke after another!"
V
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

andreas_g4
Professional Poster
Apr 13, 2006, 08:24 PM

Abe, go rant over something that is more important than South Park. Besides, a weak SP episode is probably as funny as most other shows, animated or not, that want to be funny. And I have never seen a show that does avoid taking sides as well as SP, which gives them a lot of credit, IMO.

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 13, 2006, 08:35 PM

I like both South Park and Family Guy

abe  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 13, 2006, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by voodoo
South Park is by far the best animated series I have seen coming from the US the last decade or so. IMO the Simpsons are a very very distant second, since they are just.. always the same.

Family guy on the other hand is perhaps the lames attempt yet at something funny. I had heard good things from people about Family guy so I bought the first season on DVD and after watching it I gave it away. Family guy IMO is a sad sad attempt at humor relying on name dropping rather than actual humor.

I LMAO in the South Park episode "Cartoon Wars" when Cartman lost it because he was compared to Family guy!

V
You are right about SP vs the Simps vs FaGu.

You think that a clever line...
Originally Posted by Cartman
"I am nothing like Family Guy! When I make jokes, they are inherent to a story, deep situational and emotional jokes based on what is relevant and has a point, not just one random interchangable joke after another!"
= funny???

I'll serve you Michelob.

abe  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 13, 2006, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by andreas_g4
Abe, go rant over something that is more important than South Park. Besides, a weak SP episode is probably as funny as most other shows, animated or not, that want to be funny. And I have never seen a show that does avoid taking sides as well as SP, which gives them a lot of credit, IMO.
Hahaha!

That would be like my telling YOU to go rant over a more important post!

But, of course, that would be quite difficult for us both, yes?

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Apr 13, 2006, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by abe
You are right about SP vs the Simps vs FaGu.

You think that a clever line... = funny???

I'll serve you Michelob.
Well, yes I think a clever line at the right moment is very funny. Sorry, I don't know what Michelob is though. I don't watch much TV and most is dubbed in Spanish anyway..

V

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 13, 2006, 08:48 PM

Why are you still in Spain anyway, thought it was temporary??? I must have missed something.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Apr 13, 2006, 08:52 PM

Why are you still in Spain anyway, thought it was temporary??? I must have missed something.
It started as temporary in the summer of 2004, then I went back in 2005 and well.. I keep returning.

V

abe  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 13, 2006, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by voodoo
Well, yes I think a clever line at the right moment is very funny. Sorry, I don't know what Michelob is though. I don't watch much TV and most is dubbed in Spanish anyway..

V
Michelob is an American brand of beer that is at the upper end of mass produced beers in terms of taste and price. But, it's a cut below the finest micro-brewery or best import offerings.

Forum Regular
Apr 13, 2006, 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by abe
It's interesting to me that you can't accept the fact that I'm right and your sense of humor is still in the process of gaining discernment.
You know, that must be it. Bravo to you and your superior sense of humor.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Apr 13, 2006, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by abe
Michelob is an American brand of beer that is at the upper end of mass produced beers in terms of taste and price. But, it's a cut below the finest micro-brewery or best import offerings.
Thanks for the explaination

Many beers have I tasted, but I cannot claim to have tasted Michelob. Only Budweiser, Miller and Samuel Adams for the US, that I recall

V

abe  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 14, 2006, 02:32 AM

Originally Posted by
You know, that must be it. Bravo to you and your superior sense of humor.
Well, how would YOU explain it?

It's OBVIOUSLY not hilarious but you say it is.

You were just kidding?

Now THAT'S funny!

Imagine someone thinking last nite's episode of South Park was hilarious!!!

RGB
Mac Elite
Apr 14, 2006, 03:17 AM

Originally Posted by abe
Well, how would YOU explain it?

It's OBVIOUSLY not hilarious but you say it is.

You were just kidding?

Now THAT'S funny!

Imagine someone thinking last nite's episode of South Park was hilarious!!!

I thought it was hilarious!!!

...imagine that.

They even poked fun at themselves for being too topical and preachy, and you can't even appreciate it. Your head is too far up your own ass to even think about sticking it in the sand like the characters in the show.

abe  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 14, 2006, 03:58 AM

Originally Posted by RGB
I thought it was hilarious!!!

...imagine that.

They even poked fun at themselves for being too topical and preachy, and you can't even appreciate it. Your head is too far up your own ass to even think about sticking it in the sand like the characters in the show.

Here's a little present for you. Now go to bed and dream about how funny it was. And when you wake up you'll be able to draw all the funny South Park scenes you saw tonite.

The funny, scenery devouring, time stretching fight scene. The hilarious scene where Cartman pulls a gun on the network exec. The cute part where a character from another show busts the other character's head open with a skateboard, TWICE! Drawing blood each time.

Yeah!

Sleep tight, little man!

nforcer
Mac Elite
Apr 15, 2006, 01:16 PM

While South Park has generally always had "sermons" of some sort, from what I recall in previous seasons (especially the first few) that they were less frequent or at least less controversial. What they say is not always agreeable but they are not trying to be agreeable. It's comedy.
Genius. You know who.

abe  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 15, 2006, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by nforcer
While South Park has generally always had "sermons" of some sort, from what I recall in previous seasons (especially the first few) that they were less frequent or at least less controversial. What they say is not always agreeable but they are not trying to be agreeable. What they presented in past seasons was comedy.
Fixinated.

nforcer
Mac Elite
Apr 16, 2006, 03:19 AM

Originally Posted by abe
Fixinated.
Even what is in this season is funny. The Hybrid smug cloud. The portrayal of San Fran. The Family Guy writing critiques. It's funny because it is true.
Genius. You know who.

abe  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 16, 2006, 03:25 AM

Even what is in this season is funny. The Hybrid smug cloud. The portrayal of San Fran. The Family Guy writing critiques. It's funny because it is true.
Oh. Wow! Thanks, nforcer.

nforcer
Mac Elite
Apr 16, 2006, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by abe
Oh. Wow! Thanks, nforcer.
You're welcome. I knew you would see the way.
Genius. You know who.

hyperb0le
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 16, 2006, 03:25 PM

Does anyone else die a little inside when abe posts threads like this? Since we're on the topic of good comedy writing: abe, making your arrogance blatantly obvious (as evidenced by the "I'm right, and if you don't agree with me then you're an idiot" posts) does not make it okay. Stop.

Forum Regular
Apr 16, 2006, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by hyperb0le
Does anyone else die a little inside when abe posts threads like this?
Not at all. That would put too much stock into what he says.

abe  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 16, 2006, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by hyperb0le
Does anyone else die a little inside when abe posts threads like this? Since we're on the topic of good comedy writing: abe, making your arrogance blatantly obvious (as evidenced by the "I'm right, and if you don't agree with me then you're an idiot" posts) does not make it okay. Stop.
I'm the king of this South Park Sux Azz thread. AND "I'm right, and if you don't agree with me then you're an idiot."

abe  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 16, 2006, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by
Not at all. That would put too much stock into what he says.
Yes, you should go and laugh at the Phone Book which isn't quite as funny as this Sux Azz season but it is more interesting.

abe  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 28, 2006, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by abe
I'm the king of this South Park Sux Azz thread. AND "I'm right, and if you don't agree with me then you're an idiot."

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Apr 30, 2006, 01:40 AM

Come on guys. I'm cereal.

blackbird_1.0
Mac Elite
Apr 30, 2006, 05:55 AM

I like both South Park and Family Guy
Me, too.

Spliff
Mac Elite
May 4, 2006, 04:11 AM

The Dog Whisperer. I like that child-rearing technique.

bewebste
Senior User
May 4, 2006, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by Spliff
The Dog Whisperer. I like that child-rearing technique.
Tsst!

I didn't quite get the ending though, I know they must have been making a reference to some movie or other, but it's obviously not one I've seen. Anyone care to enlighten me?

abe  (op)
Professional Poster
May 8, 2006, 02:24 AM

Even IF there is humor in this episode, it's a different sense of humor. It's not as frequently laugh producing and the laughs aren't as big. It's a different sense of humor.

Meh.

Ω
Mac Elite
May 8, 2006, 02:37 AM

"angels bleed from the tainted touch of my caress"

abe  (op)
Professional Poster
May 8, 2006, 02:46 AM

Originally Posted by Ω
[img]http://homepage.mac.com/omegaosx/.Pictures/Annoy Crazy People.jpg[/
I'm sorry. I didn't mean to offend him. Whoever he is.

Ω
Mac Elite
May 8, 2006, 03:10 AM

"angels bleed from the tainted touch of my caress"

abe  (op)
Professional Poster
May 8, 2006, 03:34 AM

Originally Posted by Ω
That screen appears to be misoriented. The housing for the retractable screen should be at the bottom, not the top...unless there's a new style I've never before seen or used.

The only ones oriented that way would be mounted above the chalk board. The weight of the housing that high, and mounted on a tripod stand, would make the screen unstable.
( Last edited by abe; May 8, 2006 at 03:41 AM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules