Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Link between bootcamp install and macbook "moo"

Link between bootcamp install and macbook "moo"
Tijer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 13, 2006, 07:20 AM

This is a hypothesis that I would like to help you solve.

I have had my hands on 3 (black) macbooks. One of them assemblied week 20, the second week 21 and the third week 23.

The first macbook had no "moo" from the fans, at around 63-69 degrees C (it's ongoing temperature after one hour+ of iTunes and safari running).

The second macbook had a "moo" from the fans. Still the same temperature 63-69 degrees.

The third macbook had no "moo" from the fans. At the same temperature-span.

The only difference between the 3 macbooks was that the # 2. (the mooing one) have had BootCamp (XP) installed on it. I did not notice the Mooing before I had BootCamp installed, so this is the real offset of the hypothesis:

Hypothesis: "the MacBooks will generally moo more after (once) having installed BootCamp, regardless of being in OS X or XP"

(IF TRUE), possible explanations:
- Installing XP brings on the Fan's at full load for quite a while (some 10-15 minutes) - this might take the grease out of the fans and make them permanently louder.
- Installing BootCamp includes updating the EFI (the system's internal native configuration, not tied to any OS). This update might include changed temperature-controls or any other overall configuration in the EFI that affects the fan or temperature.

What I need to stop messing around with this hypothesis is for some of you guys, who own a Macbook (not pro) and who have already installed XP using BootCamp on it - to tell me whether or not you can hear the mooing at around 67-69 degrees C, in a quiet room (it really needs to be quiet).

PS: It might be a dumb hypothesis, but it's an idea.
There's more to this signature than you
think.

powerbook867
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 13, 2006, 07:35 AM

I have a base Macbook w/ 2 gig of ram, no BootCamp and the moo.
Joe

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 13, 2006, 07:36 AM

My sister's MacBook also has it and no Boot Camp. I don't see how it could possibly affect it.

Tijer  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 13, 2006, 07:38 AM

Dammit, then it's put to the grave. Thx for the time.
There's more to this signature than you
think.

snoopy199
Forum Regular
Jun 13, 2006, 07:50 AM

I don't have bootcamp installed on my MB and I did get the moo once - when I was doing some heavy duty photoshop work.

I know a ton has been written about this, but it seems to me, that when the temps get to 64-66c the fans trigger, but they ramp up and down so quickly it sounds like a moo. Its like they're stuck in a loop, if that is the case it should be a simple update to the firmware but as we all know there are no simple fixes

powerbook867
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 13, 2006, 09:49 AM

I think DV000 has hit the mark. It seems to happen when the fan ramps up hard (like when I'm ripping a dvd while doing photoshop work). There is probably going to be a firmware fix to ramp the fan a little slower I would think, but it's not a big deal for me..
Joe

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Jun 13, 2006, 10:17 AM

I had a week 20 MacBook, installed XP on it. No moo.

I replaced it with a week 23 macBook, installed XP, no Moo.

"Laugh it up, fuzz ball!"

Jerommeke
Mac Elite
Jun 13, 2006, 01:40 PM

I had a Macbook with no Boot Camp or any Windows emulation on it, and I got the moo.

I suppose the explanation darth-vader000 gives is more reasonable.
iMac G5 2.0 Ghz 20", 2 GB RAM, 400 GB, OS X 10.4.5, iPod with color screen 60 GB

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Jun 13, 2006, 02:07 PM

A Rom update can fix the problem for sure. Question is why does it only effect SOME macBooks?

"Laugh it up, fuzz ball!"

photoeditor
Forum Regular
Jun 14, 2006, 07:07 PM

Perhaps if there are variations in QA in assembly it might account for the difference. A gloppy job on thermal paste might result in an idle of 65C while a good job might mean 60C. The sloppy job, if 65C is indeed where it came in at, would be sitting right below the critical on-ff point for the thermostat on the fan, meaning that it would be right AT the critical point of 67-68C or so for light word processing and email.

Jake_11
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 15, 2006, 12:23 AM

i have xp on my macbook and it doesn't moo. there was a similar issue with the first imac g5's fans, but mine was fine.
MacBook 1.83GHz, 1GB
MacBook 2.0Ghz, 2GB
iPhone 8GB

kentuckyfried
Senior User
Jun 16, 2006, 10:31 PM

What is the "moo?"
Now I know, and knowing is half the battle!

flukewurm
Jun 16, 2006, 11:51 PM

the fan revvvving. i was sceptical at just how much a computer could sound like a cow. when i heard mine mooing i was certianly taken back a bit.

ael719
Forum Regular
Jun 17, 2006, 12:27 AM

I don't know how to check my MacBook build date, but your hypothesis may be true in my case. I think, but am not too sure that I may have had the moo before installing bootcamp with XP. When I'm in XP running on battery, it moos hardcore, almost non-stop. But in OSX with the power supply it I've only heard it moo once or twice.
Retired: Dell Dimension 8200
Current: MacBook Black
Future: iMac or MacPro

michaelb
Mac Elite
Jun 17, 2006, 12:30 AM

I guarantee you city kids have never been to the country - a real moo cow sounds louder than a little MacBook fan!

kentuckyfried
Senior User
Jun 17, 2006, 12:30 AM

sweet, it makes cow-like sounds?

At least it's not like my old G4 tower. That thing was so loud, it was like a helicopter, and I could never leave it on overnight.

Originally Posted by flukewurm
the fan revvvving. i was sceptical at just how much a computer could sound like a cow. when i heard mine mooing i was certianly taken back a bit.
Now I know, and knowing is half the battle!

flukewurm
Jun 17, 2006, 02:44 AM

Originally Posted by michaelb
I guarantee you city kids have never been to the country - a real moo cow sounds louder than a little MacBook fan!
so the dozen or so that are in my back yard dont count? ^_^

yeah. its not loud. but it still sounds like a a cow.

Forum Links
Forum Rules