Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Dual Processor support for Quake 4???

Dual Processor support for Quake 4???
ElSkirtMan
Banned
Jul 18, 2006, 07:03 PM

I know that on the PC side, Quake 4 supports two CPUs. On the mac side, there's a new patch that 'enables dual cpu support for intel duo core macs'.

But...what about us PPC users? Does it allow us to use two CPUs? If so, I will probably buy it as my quicksilver will probably run it like butter.

But if it's intel duo core only...that sucks. So far I have not been able to find an answer.

Anybody?

eevyl
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 18, 2006, 07:21 PM

Anyway you won't get much more juice of a dual core/cpu in a game, AFAIK all that they do in the second processor is the audio stuff, so the upgrade you can get is nicier audio.

I think a Quicksilver is not enough machine for Quake 4, it's a total resource sink.

ElSkirtMan  (op)
Banned
Jul 18, 2006, 07:52 PM

Eevl, you really don't have a clue what you're talking about. Dual CPUs don't make a huge difference in most games, but in quake 3 it boosted performance by over 60% in some systems when they released a patch that enabled smp support. ID software is the ONLY game maker who really takes advantage of two CPUs....that said, my QS runs q3 retardedly fast. Everything up, even 8x AA and it's still quick. If a game is not coded for two cpus, you are correct, the 2nd cpu will only handle audio... but if a game is coded for 2 cpus, it boosts performance a TON as long as you aren't GPU limited.

This is why I'd really like to know if this patch ONLY applies to core duos, or if it applies to dual cpu power pc macs as well.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 19, 2006, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by ElSkirtMan
Eevl, you really don't have a clue what you're talking about (…)
Well, while you are right, Quake 4 has true SMP support, you could be more polite Rob, maybe eevyl just get confused between Quake 4 and UT 2004, which as he says uses the second processor for audio stuff. It could be, huh?

Nevertheless, I though a previous patch was available letting PPC users get SMP support.

http://www.macgamefiles.com/detail.p...3&show=reviews

extract: YES IT DOES SUPPORT G5s AND G4s FOR CRIPES SAKE

My apologies if I am wrong… truth be told, I am not such a Mac gamer, my dual cpu game machine is a Nintendo DS, it rocks my socks, every game is dual cpu aware.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Jul 19, 2006, 05:00 PM

We'll see more games support dual core and dual processors now that Intel has gone to dual cores and dual processors. UT2007 will have SMP support in the Unreal 3 Engine. Once the PC games have dual core and dual processor support built in, it will transfer to the Mac side.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

eevyl
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 20, 2006, 05:23 AM

If you are going to bash me you could at least spell my name right.

Anyway, good luck with the framerates with Quake 4 in a Quicksilver machine, it's not as nice as I would want it to be under Windows in my brand new MacBook Pro, so good luck (for the record, the Prey demo runs fantastic, so it's more of a crappy use of the Doom 3 engine in Q4).

Stratus Wrong
Baninated
Jul 22, 2006, 12:39 AM

Originally Posted by Leonard
We'll see more games support dual core and dual processors now that Intel has gone to dual cores and dual processors. UT2007 will have SMP support in the Unreal 3 Engine. Once the PC games have dual core and dual processor support built in, it will transfer to the Mac side.
If anybody codes anything for the mac anymore. I have a feeling most new games will be intel only, not universal.

Thinine
Mac Elite
Jul 22, 2006, 01:04 AM

Unreal 3 engine will also scale beyond 2 processors, so my quad will be happy.

Forum Links
Forum Rules