Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > .mac needs to be .mac

.mac needs to be .mac
I WAS the One
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 20, 2006, 09:28 AM

I have a love/hate relationship with .mac because I love the service, the easy integration of iLife and the fast response I get when uploading or sharing pictures, files and stuff.. it is a good damn service, but I really hate the html script (if thats the case I really don't know what I'm talking about here) I'm just saying that it will be cool if my .mac address was:

www.iwastheone.mac and not http://web.mac.com/site/blah/morebla...astheone/page1

for real, why if we are paying for a .mac account we don't have a special .mac web address?

it will be better to built a website with .mac than a lot of stuff we get when we upload a site with iweb.

what do you think about this?
Enjoy My Mac Comic @ BLAST COMICS

eevyl
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 20, 2006, 09:35 AM

Last time I checked the page for each user is http://homepage.mac.com/username/ which is not that bad. Still the option of having a domain name would be better, and you can always buy just a domain and have it forwarded to your homepage at .Mac.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 20, 2006, 09:37 AM

There is no .mac top level domain. Maybe you can declare your land the independent state of Macaroni or something, and if you win the resulting secession war and get the .mac top level domain assigned, you can allow Apple to use it for their .Mac service.

My .Mac homepage address is homepage.mac.com/myname/ which somewhat easy to remember. If I used iWeb I would forward from that to my iWeb site. Though I agree that domain registration would increase the value of the .Mac service.

I WAS the One  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 20, 2006, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by eevyl
Last time I checked the page for each user is http://homepage.mac.com/username/ which is not that bad. Still the option of having a domain name would be better, and you can always buy just a domain and have it forwarded to your homepage at .Mac.
but isn't it better to have the complete package?? I'm paying $99 dollars for .mac, it should be also your domain. like www.eevyl.mac and your pages will should looked like this www.eevyl.mac/forum and not http://homepage.mac.com/eevyl/forum I think we deserved more.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 20, 2006, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by I WAS the One
I say it again: there is no .mac top level domain, and a company will never get a top level domain. Only countries do, plus some general purpose top level domains like com, org, net, gov.

I WAS the One  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 20, 2006, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by TETENAL
I say it again: there is no .mac top level domain, and a company will never get a top level domain. Only countries do, plus some general purpose top level domains like com, org, net, gov.
no? why? Apple has the money and connections to doit I can tell...

Dork.
Professional Poster
Jul 20, 2006, 09:50 AM

".mac" is an unfortunate and confusing name, precisely because there is no .mac top-level-domain, and there never will be one as long as the current policies exist. It should have been named "mac.com" from the start, and your websites should be accessable at "foo.mac.com" .

The only more unfortunate name is ".NET" . There is a .net top-level domain, after all, and it has nothing directly to do with Microsoft's .NET .

I WAS the One  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 20, 2006, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by Dork.
".mac" is an unfortunate and confusing name, precisely because there is no .mac top-level-domain, and there never will be one as long as the current policies exist. It should have been named "mac.com" from the start, and your websites should be accessable at "foo.mac.com" .

The only more unfortunate name is ".NET" . There is a .net top-level domain, after all, and it has nothing directly to do with Microsoft's .NET .
it can be done. that sample of mac.com it sounds better than the one we got...

Dork.
Professional Poster
Jul 20, 2006, 09:56 AM

no? why? Apple has the money and connections to doit I can tell...
It's not just a matter of money and connections. There are technical reasons involving the way DNS works (which I forget at the moment) why we only have a handful of TLD's, and ICANN is the current body in charge of assigning new TLD's. They are assigning more general-purpose TLD's, like .info and .museum, but they seem to be shying away from granting company-specific TLD's.

production_coordinator
Mac Elite
Jul 20, 2006, 12:11 PM

with .travel and .info bla bla bla... why not a .mac as a TLD?

production_coordinator
Mac Elite
Jul 20, 2006, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by Dork.

I love the joe.mac.com naming scheme much better.

Richard

SeSawaya
Mac Elite
Jul 20, 2006, 12:23 PM

$8 more a year and you can make it www.yourname.com
namesecure.com will help.

I wish .mac was a little more like it used to be before iWeb, but with the enhancments of iweb. Thats my main beef, ---oh and the grouls thing needs to be MUCH easier for PC users to join the group. "Sign up for a trial of .mac" is pretty g a y.

I WAS the One  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 21, 2006, 09:36 AM

I'm not talking about getting a .com for $8 dollars a year... I mean that it gotta be standard in .Mac service, I can't see why not for real, can you imagine that? you get your .Mac account, also you click on iWeb's icon and then start designing your own page, click publishing and send an e-mail to everybody sayings that my somebody.mac was online. thats it! somebody.mac and you can access my page! you tell me if that it's not great? you won't have to go to somewhere.com to get your .com address and all! just getting a .Mac will get you everything you need to get your site working!

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 21, 2006, 12:35 PM

Great! Except
1. it's not possible given the current regulations regarding TLDs, and
2. nobody cares but you.

CatOne
Mac Elite
Jul 21, 2006, 12:51 PM

I'm not talking about getting a .com for $8 dollars a year... I mean that it gotta be standard in .Mac service, I can't see why not for real, can you imagine that? you get your .Mac account, also you click on iWeb's icon and then start designing your own page, click publishing and send an e-mail to everybody sayings that my somebody.mac was online. thats it! somebody.mac and you can access my page! you tell me if that it's not great? you won't have to go to somewhere.com to get your .com address and all! just getting a .Mac will get you everything you need to get your site working!
You idiot. I take it what everyone else has stated hasn't sunk in?

IT IS NOT POSSIBLE, unless the IANA changes their regulations for how naming schemes exist.

I WAS the One  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 21, 2006, 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by CatOne
You idiot
Hey... what's up with that? did I insult you in any way? respect, please. don't go that far. I mean it.

Wevah
Senior User
Jul 22, 2006, 01:21 AM

Baaahahaha.
[Wevah setPostCount:[Wevah postCount] + 1];

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 22, 2006, 04:21 AM

Hey... what's up with that? did I insult you in any way? respect, please. don't go that far. I mean it.
No, you didn't insult him, but you were being idiotic. It's hard to respect idiots.

It's just not under Apple's control. If you want to know more on the subject, see http://www.icann.org/tlds/

I WAS the One  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 22, 2006, 08:12 PM

If I'm being ignorant on a subject. it's no reason to an insult. People come here and ask for question must of us think they're stupid questions but always someone helps. I helped a lot of people here, and many members helped me here too. today my post was wrong interpreted.
I don't know how the domain laws work on that topic. So, forget about it, and if you don't wanna help, don't say nothing. I'll never insult anyone in this Mac community, and I plan to keep this motivation for a long time. thanx

CatOne
Mac Elite
Jul 22, 2006, 09:16 PM

If I'm being ignorant on a subject. it's no reason to an insult. People come here and ask for question must of us think they're stupid questions but always someone helps. I helped a lot of people here, and many members helped me here too. today my post was wrong interpreted.
I don't know how the domain laws work on that topic. So, forget about it, and if you don't wanna help, don't say nothing. I'll never insult anyone in this Mac community, and I plan to keep this motivation for a long time. thanx
People explained it to you 3 separate times and you kept saying "Apple should do this."

So idiot was a technical term. Look it up.

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 23, 2006, 05:51 AM

If I'm being ignorant on a subject. it's no reason to an insult. People come here and ask for question must of us think they're stupid questions but always someone helps.
people did. repeatedly.

I WAS the One  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 23, 2006, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by Angus_D
people did. repeatedly.
well, I didn't saw it that way. Maybe was my fault. if that was the case, then I'm really sorry, then.
I didn't want to sound like a hard head on the subject. truce?

Forum Links
Forum Rules