Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > How to read a Pages2 document in Pages1

How to read a Pages2 document in Pages1
Lebodde
Forum Regular
Oct 2, 2006, 09:31 PM

I created a document in Pages2 using the trial version. But Pages2 does not have enough new features that I use so I am going to stick to my Pages1 until v3 comes out.

Not surprisingly, Pages1 cannot read a Pages2 doc right off the bat. I did not see any "Saves As Pages1 document" option anywhere. Is there a way to do this? I suppose I could try to save it as a pdf and read it back in that way but I imagine this will lose all the Pages specific formatting such as photo rotation that I did.

Note that I only have text and photos in this doc. No Pages2 specific things like charts or anything like that.

Thanks for any help.

Bo

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Oct 2, 2006, 10:11 PM

Saving it as a PDF will probably keep all formatting, but you won't be able to edit it in Pages. Did you try exporting to RTF or Word and exporting those results into Pages 1.0? One of them might keep your rotations..

TheoCryst
Mac Elite
Oct 2, 2006, 11:18 PM

While you are doing "Save as...", there should be an option near the bottom that says something along the lines of "Save a copy in iWork '05 format". (Not near my Mac, so I'm not sure of the exact wording of the dialog.)

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

Lebodde  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 3, 2006, 10:08 AM

slug, I tried saving it as rtf but it loses a lot of the formatting (I tried the "Sailing Newsletter" template as an example) and the rotated photos I had added came out in low rez...

Theo, there is no "Save a copy in iWork '05 format" anywhere I can find... Where did you find it?

THanks

Bo

Jonesy
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 3, 2006, 05:16 PM

If you click on Save As… in Pages 2 you will find the option to save in '05 format at the bottom of the dialogue box.

Lebodde  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 3, 2006, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by Jonesy
If you click on Save As… in Pages 2 you will find the option to save in '05 format at the bottom of the dialogue box.

Very odd... I double checked on that last night and there was no such option. I wonder if you have to expand the dialog box first for it to appear... I did not try that. I will do so when I get home tonight.

Thank you very much.

Bo

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 3, 2006, 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by Lebodde
Very odd... I double checked on that last night and there was no such option. I wonder if you have to expand the dialog box first for it to appear... I did not try that. I will do so when I get home tonight.

Thank you very much.

Bo
Yes. You must expand the Save As... dialog to see the iWork '05 option.

Lebodde  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 4, 2006, 01:34 PM

Yes! That was it. The Save As box only offers the iWork O5 option AFTER it has been expanded!

Thanks very much guys!

Forum Links
Forum Rules