Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > Any one know how to fix the different clock time between mac and windows?

Any one know how to fix the different clock time between mac and windows?
isomet
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 12, 2006, 02:25 PM

Any one know how to fix the different clock time between mac and windows?

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 12, 2006, 05:03 PM

I'm assuming you're talking about how to do this when you boot into Windows through Boot Camp. That issue was supposed to be one of the fixes in Boot Camp 1.1.1 or 1.1.2. Which version do you have? You do not have to repartition to install a newer version of Boot Camp, you know.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

isomet  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 15, 2006, 12:12 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
I'm assuming you're talking about how to do this when you boot into Windows through Boot Camp. That issue was supposed to be one of the fixes in Boot Camp 1.1.1 or 1.1.2. Which version do you have? You do not have to repartition to install a newer version of Boot Camp, you know.
I m already running on Boot Camp 1.1.2 If there is no internet connection, the time will not be justisfy automaticcally

Thunderbird
Senior User
Dec 29, 2006, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by isomet View Post
I m already running on Boot Camp 1.1.2 If there is no internet connection, the time will not be justisfy automaticcally
Same problem here. I'm running BC 1.1.2 on a 17" Macbook pro, and if I'm not connected to the internet, the time doesn't fix itself. Apple's support site says this was fixed in 1.1.1. Any ideas?

uruiamme
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 10, 2007, 05:24 AM

Same here on my Macbook Pro 17" Core 2 duo. I know something about UNIX, and I know what's happening here. Mac OS X is based on Darwin, which is based on BSD code. This foundation probably causes the issue -- UNIX tends to assume that your clock is in GMT (UTC), and sometime in the software config you tell the OS what you prefer your timezone to be. Windows, based on DOS, is under the impression that everyone's PC is set to local time in the BIOS setup routine. This difference in opinion is pretty stupid, but that's the problem. The RTC (real-time clock) will get set by Windows to one thing using NTP, and by UNIX or Darwin or OS X to something else. Surely this issue is relatively old for anyone who dual-boots Windows and some other OS. This has been the case for over 10 years, so someone has figured it out. Or just be sure and connect to your LAN domain or the Internet every time you boot. Makes for some awful log files, I would imagine. I keep an NTP time server on my network, plus any Windows domain controller will force authenticating clients to have the correct time. (which is whatever the DC's time happens to be, synchronized or not)

I think that most unixes allow you to force them to accept Window's opinion. I seriously doubt you can configure Windows to accept thw opinion of UNIX. A Darwin guy would know where to look.

Forum Links
Forum Rules