Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Just got my new MBP

Just got my new MBP
AppleTalk
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 12, 2007, 08:17 AM

I was waiting to upgrade my CD MB when Leopard was to be released in June, but with the announcement of a delay I decided I wasn't going to wait any longer. I really needed to upgrade my Mac as I am running Adobe CS3 and some other 3D apps.

Today I bought my 2.33Ghz 15" MBP with 3GB ram. I love it! And would you believe it's the first time I've seen the backlit keyboard?

phoenix78
Dedicated MacNNer
May 12, 2007, 10:26 AM

Well done on your purchase. Im sure you will be happy with your mac!

You mentioned the reason for buying now is due to the delay in leopard. However, have you noticed any rumors regarding the revision of macbooks and mbp? I think the next revision is comming rather soon. Of course nobody can say for sure but it may be within a month or two even. Perhaps that would have made you wait longer?

In any case... in the end your mac is fast and it will last you a long time! A newer computer being released doesnt make your computer slower than it was yesterday. Just means that someone else will finish a computation 1 or 2 seconds sooner I have a CD mbp17" (not the c2d). I dont imagine i will upgrade soon. I just dont need to. My mac is plenty fast enough

I guess there is just that certain group of people (like me) who are bent on trying to optimise everythig about their lives ... including waiting 2 or 3 months just to get the next revision of computer right on the release date lol. There must be a psychological disorder describing this behaviour

enjoy your mac!

Rob

Page14
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 12, 2007, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by AppleTalk View Post
I was waiting to upgrade my CD MB when Leopard was to be released in June, but with the announcement of a delay I decided I wasn't going to wait any longer. I really needed to upgrade my Mac as I am running Adobe CS3 and some other 3D apps.

Today I bought my 2.33Ghz 15" MBP with 3GB ram. I love it! And would you believe it's the first time I've seen the backlit keyboard?
Congrats on your new MBP. I was sort of in the same boat as you and decided to buy one now rather than wait. If Leopard came out in June, I would have held off, but when they said it was bumped to October (or so), that's when I decided that was just too long to wait. I also bought the MBP 2.33 Ghz version ... my first ever laptop ... and I'm loving it!

Page14

P.S. I still plan on keeping my desktop G4 around to do graphics work on, since most of my graphics applications are written for OS 9 and won't work on the new MBPs.

highstakes
Senior User
May 12, 2007, 01:16 PM

Congrats on your new MBP!

AppleTalk  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 12, 2007, 07:06 PM

I've been reading all the rumours about an update to MBP in the near future, but to be honest I don't think the Santa Rosa chip will make that much of a difference to MBP's (possible bump to 2.4Ghz, slightly longer battery life, etc). Besides this MBP is a definite upgrade to my current Core Duo MacBook and I'm very much happy with that

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
May 12, 2007, 07:39 PM

That's cool. Interesting, noone thought of that username before you.

majordude
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 12, 2007, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by AppleTalk View Post
Congratulations! Did you get the matte or glossy?

Did you buy at an Apple store?
 17-inch MacBook Pro with 2.33GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM and fast 7200 100GB HD
"Any major dude with half a heart surely will tell you my friend..." — Steely Dan

RogueSqdn
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 12, 2007, 10:34 PM

I finally bit the bullet today and bought the 15.4" 2.33GHz C2D 2GB MacBook Pro.

Two things... one, I got tired of waiting... I'd been waiting a month already. Two, my CD 1.83GHz MacBook is promised to my mom, and what better present on Mother's Day than a MacBook?

I drove down to the Apple Store in Charlotte, and here's where the good part starts. I also bought an Incase sleeve, Firewire cable for data transfer, Apple Care, and Toast Titanium 8. I had to split this over three cards, but by mistake they did the third split as cash. After refunding both cards they'd charged, they had to restart the transaction, and the refund hadn't gone through, so the main card was declined. I had to call my card company from the store and get it sorted, which took about half an hour. To compensate me, the manager discounted the amount I had charged to the second card so we wouldn't have to call them, too, and I came out of the deal with a $700 discount!

Looks like I can afford to go pick up the new 802.11n Airport Extreme router to replace my 802.11g Airport Extreme... plus maybe get an Apple TV, or a 1TB FireWire 800 drive... I'll have to think about this one. Any ideas?
Rogue
-------

MacBook Pro 2.33 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo w/2GB DDR2 RAM & Logitech BT MX1000.
"I can feel your anger... it gives you focus, makes you stronger!" -- Emperor Palpatine, Revenge of the Sith

AppleTalk  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 12, 2007, 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by majordude View Post
Congratulations! Did you get the matte or glossy?

Did you buy at an Apple store?
I got the matte screen. Of course I had a glossy screen on my MB but as a digital artist I always depended on my matte desktop screen for colour accuracy. I almost bought a glossy for my MBP, but thought better of it

I bought it from an Apple reseller.

Un-Inferior
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 12, 2007, 11:27 PM

congrats. i've had mine for about a month. i got a freelance project which pretty much paid for it even back then i was thinking it was going to be updated, but i'm so happy i didn't wait. in their current state, these macbook pros do exactly what i need them to do.
MacBook Pro 15" + 23" Cinema HD
Dell XPS 410 + 2007WFP

Parvez
Forum Regular
May 13, 2007, 12:29 AM

Nice man.

Happy to see you with a MBP.

Congrats.

RogueSqdn
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 13, 2007, 10:04 AM

Forgot to mention.. I picked up the glossy one.
Rogue
-------

MacBook Pro 2.33 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo w/2GB DDR2 RAM & Logitech BT MX1000.
"I can feel your anger... it gives you focus, makes you stronger!" -- Emperor Palpatine, Revenge of the Sith

Forum Links
Forum Rules