Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Procare - is it always like this?

Procare - is it always like this?
feipor
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 31, 2007, 10:11 PM

I emailed Apple Investor Relations because I could not find an email address for this to be sent to.

Kindly forward this to the relevant officer - I am unable to find a person or an email address to send this to. Thank you.

I bought Procare because we are here part of the year (FL, USA) and elsehere as well. My favorite Apple guru is based in Asia so when in the USA I need to surf the support site and discussions to find solutions. So as a backup I bought Procare in July 2007.

Since then I have made 2 back to back appointments (Wed 28th Aug 1:30 and 1:45pm - Apple Shop @ St John's Tpwn Center, Jacksonville, FL) for a tune up for my Powerbook and to have one of the geniuses check out my new MacBook (basically the cursor behaves erratically ad sometimes the keys feel 'dead').

I got to my appointment and only one solitary genious was attending to customers. He was occupied with a previous customer and so I had to wait. During my wait and during my appointments he also had to field requests from other people.

It would seem that Apple needs to station more geniuses (genii?) based on the appointment schedule and store traffic so that (1) appointments are kept (else it makes a mockery of making an appointment, Procare or not, (2) the genius at the bar does not get distracted from what he is doing, (3) customers with appointments don't get the "bum's rush".

What is the point of Procare when there is NO priority in service? This is surprising, shocking in fact, when generally Apple promotes itself as being people friendly.

I was told that it would take 24-48 hours for my Powerbook's tune up and was given a sheet on which the serial number was barely legible. Apparently, Procare customers have priority in repair/service but I do not see this because it is46 hours since I left my Powerbook and I have no real indication of when it will be ready for collection.

I could not find anything to help me find out when I could collect my Powerbook and send in my MacBook for the top case replacement (which the genius diagnosed as the source of my crazy cursor and keyboard).

So I called the store telephone number and was eventually routed to a foreign accented lady. She eventually came back after contacting the St Johns Town Center (Jacksonville, FL) store - the message from the store was that the Powerbook was currently being worked on and would be ready in a few hours' time and that the store would call.

(When I raised the issue that I could not find the status of my tune up, she said that as it was not a repair I did not get a repair number!)

When I finally get my Powerbook back, I guess I will have to wait for my MacBook to have the top case replaced. The actual replacement should not take too long - provided that Procare does stand for something.

(The 3 items on the sheet of Procare paper - hardware test, hard disk optimization, anti virus do not take very long to run; certainly less than 48 hours! It would seem that APPLE expect alls customers to have spare computers to use while they keep the computers in the store?)

Or maybe one just needs a pal in the Apple Shop to speed things up?

APPLE needs to provide decent after sales service and to learn to communicate with customers.

It is now 9:45pm Fri, 31st August and I still have not heard from APPLE for a tune up that was to be completed within 48 hours!

Cold Warrior
Aug 31, 2007, 10:50 PM

What's a tune-up for a powerbook?

irunat2am
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 31, 2007, 11:56 PM

A) Maybe there are 20 other PROCARE customers that came in before you.

B) There is no need in a 'professional' e-mail to a company to mention that a lady had a foreign accent. .as this does nothing and makes it seem like that is an issue for you. Which, is a whole different story.

Sorry you don't have your apple back. Good luck.
( Last edited by irunat2am; Sep 2, 2007 at 09:20 AM. )
24" iMac 2.16GHz c2d ~ 3G ram ~ 250G ~ Superdrive ~ Pure Sexiness
15" Powerbook G4 ~ 1.5GHz ~ 1.5G ram ~ 160G ~ Combo

sideus
Mac Elite
Sep 1, 2007, 01:28 AM

Wasn't it at one time you couldn't purchase extended warranties(insureance plans) in Florida?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 1, 2007, 01:34 AM

Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
What's a tune-up for a powerbook?
oil change ?

-t

KeriVit
Professional Poster
Sep 1, 2007, 01:57 PM

What's ProCare?

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 1, 2007, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by sideus View Post
Wasn't it at one time you couldn't purchase extended warranties(insureance plans) in Florida?
I had AppleCare on my iMac in 1999. Also on my 2001 PowerMac. I think you are not correct.
ice

sideus
Mac Elite
Sep 1, 2007, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by IceEnclosure View Post
I had AppleCare on my iMac in 1999. Also on my 2001 PowerMac. I think you are not correct.
Technical Support Issues: Florida Extended Warrantees

The MacCast � Blog Archive � Mike - AppleCare in Florida

At one time AppleCare and Florida did not mix.

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 2, 2007, 02:16 AM

I see what it says, but it doesn't account for the half a dozen or so AppleCare warranty fixes friends of mine have had on their computers over the last 5 or so years in Florida (covering from 2001-2006). I exercised my AppleCare a couple of times on both computers I owned, no problemo.
ice

sknapp351
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 2, 2007, 07:21 AM

I have had Apple care tell me that they were canceling my extended warranty since I was living in Florida. This was in 2001 on my Quicksilver Power Mac. I convinced the lady that I was moving in less than three weeks and had her change my address to Virginia. I was in college and that computer was screwed up a lot. I never called Applecare again since. When still in Florida I only took my machine to a local authorized Applecare service provider. They knew of the Florida/Applecare issue and said that if I brought it there that they would honor Applecare.
SAm

feipor  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 2, 2007, 04:38 PM

yes, some years ago

irunat2am
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 2, 2007, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by feipor View Post
yes, some years ago
get your baby back, yet?

feipor  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 2, 2007, 04:40 PM

from the worksheet it includes: Hardware tests, Hard Disk optimization, anti virus using Symantec Norton Anti Virus. Apple Software updates and cleaning.

feipor  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 2, 2007, 04:42 PM

yes, thanks. But had to call them yesterday (72 hours after I checked it in for what was estimated on the worksheet as a 24-48 hour job).

irunat2am
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 2, 2007, 04:44 PM

Good! Hold it tight tonight while you sleep, and let it know it's loved.

feipor  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 2, 2007, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by irunat2am View Post
A) Maybe there are 20 other PROCARE customers that came in before you.

B) There is no need in a 'professional' e-mail to a company to mention that a lady had a foreign accent. .as this does nothing and makes it seem like that is an issue for you. Which, is a whole different story.

Sorry you don't have your apple back. Good luck.
no offense meant to foreigners - I am one too. Or in American parlance, an alien! I think they outsource (and hence divorce) the yakkety yak from the meat of things. Gives the people in the tech/service dept a chance to work in peace? But shielding the ops from customers hardly encourages taking responsibility for getting the job done properly and on time.

BTW the yearly tune up worksheet I completed had my tel no written clearly, yet when I asked why they had not called me about collection, I got an apology and was told they had another tel no in their system. I still have the cabron copy of the worksheet.

feipor  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 2, 2007, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by feipor View Post
no offense meant to foreigners - I am one too. Or in American parlance, an alien! I think they outsource (and hence divorce) the yakkety yak from the meat of things. Gives the people in the tech/service dept a chance to work in peace? But shielding the ops from customers hardly encourages taking responsibility for getting the job done properly and on time.

BTW the yearly tune up worksheet I completed had my tel no written clearly, yet when I asked why they had not called me about collection, I got an apology and was told they had another tel no in their system. I still have the cabron copy of the worksheet.
Oh, about the 20 other customers (don't know how many of these were procare). There were only 3, not incl myself and another who came in afterwards. But only 1 Genius, so they are short on the ground.

feipor  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 2, 2007, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by IceEnclosure View Post
My first Powerbook was purchased online in the USA. I applied for Apple Care and was informed that it was not available for FL addresses. But shortly after, the policy changed. So maybe they had changed it in time for you to subscribe.

feipor  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 2, 2007, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by irunat2am View Post
Good! Hold it tight tonight while you sleep, and let it know it's loved.
but of course!

Forum Links
Forum Rules