Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Let me get this straight....

Let me get this straight....
Raman
Mac Elite
Feb 24, 2008, 02:04 PM

I have a 24" iMac that is capable of displaying 720 HD resolutions. A ATI Radeon HD 2600 that is capable of playing back 720 and 1080 HD resolutions...

But I can't rent 720 HD movies in iTunes on said iMac...

@Apple: This is retarded. Please look at Microsoft Windows Media Center. We use the older version and Apple TV2 still can't touch it. Make a MCE replacement. Oh wait.. You want me to BUY the shows that I can currently record for free (well, my cable/sat subscription costs).

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Feb 24, 2008, 02:17 PM

I don't see why Apple doesn't offer HD rentals by computer, either. But you have to realize Apple isn't always going to offer all the technological solutions we want it to.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

k squared
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 24, 2008, 02:39 PM

Why does everyone always assume this is Apple's fault? Why don't you blame the restrictions imposed by the Studios?

I can think of two simple reasons: One, the file size of the HD rental would take up a lot of space on a desktop, leading users to complain about lack of disk space, etc. and two, the Studios probably think it's more difficult to steal the rental from an appleTV rather than from a desktop.

Other users have also pointed out the lack of HDCP support on Apple's desktops, which the Studio's likely require for HD content.

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 24, 2008, 03:39 PM

Another issue is that it wouldn't play on an iPod. They want everything they provide via iTunes to play on an iPod, since that's their bread and butter.

I think eventually they're going to have to use a dual-file download system, where you get the hi-def version for Macs and TVs, and a lower-resolution version made for iPods. But we're not there yet.

cybergoober
Mac Elite
Feb 24, 2008, 10:51 PM

Could there also be another simpler reasoning behind this?

What would stop Joe Sixpack, who still uses a G3 iMac, from renting an HD movie through iTunes then calling Apple to complain that it won't play? Restricting HD rentals to one machine that is known to be capable of playing back the content avoids that problem. Deity forbid iTunes transmit your computer configuration to Apple so that you would only be presented with the HD option if that machine were capable of playing back the content (remember the outrage over MiniStore? )

Visnaut
Senior User
Feb 25, 2008, 01:32 AM

HDCP support, required by the studios for HD playback on HD-DVDs and Blu-Ray discs, is likely the reason why Apple can't offer HD downloads through iTunes.

I suspect that the new Macs released this year will have HDCP support, especially any new iMacs. Once we have that, Apple may be able to offer HD rentals on those machines.

cybergoober
Mac Elite
Feb 25, 2008, 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by Visnaut View Post
HDCP support, required by the studios for HD playback on HD-DVDs and Blu-Ray discs, is likely the reason why Apple can't offer HD downloads through iTunes.

I suspect that the new Macs released this year will have HDCP support, especially any new iMacs. Once we have that, Apple may be able to offer HD rentals on those machines.
HDCP requires HDMI, right? So then unless you connect your tv via HDMI you can't rent HD movies? I'll have to test that out. You would think there would be some mention of that on Apple's site if correct.

Nexus5
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 25, 2008, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by cybergoober View Post
HDCP requires HDMI, right? So then unless you connect your tv via HDMI you can't rent HD movies? I'll have to test that out. You would think there would be some mention of that on Apple's site if correct.
HDCP only protects the digital transport stream from one device (player to display) to the other, not the content which (on Blue Ray) is protected with AACS (Advanced Access Content System).
HDCP also works with DVI not only with HDMI.

nexus5.

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 25, 2008, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by Nexus5 View Post
HDCP only protects the digital transport stream from one device (player to display) to the other, not the content which (on Blue Ray) is protected with AACS (Advanced Access Content System).
HDCP also works with DVI not only with HDMI.

nexus5.
Sure, but AppleTV has component video. The red green blue connectors do not carry HDCP.

sideus
Mac Elite
Feb 25, 2008, 12:52 PM

I just got an tv this weekend. I'm loving it so far. The $4.99 HD rentals are alittle pricey so I won't be renting often but ripping my DVDs and music to it has been great.

Nexus5
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 25, 2008, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by vmarks View Post
Sure, but AppleTV has component video. The red green blue connectors do not carry HDCP.
Sure, HDCP = High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection.

Nexus5.

sideus
Mac Elite
Feb 25, 2008, 06:25 PM

I too thought that the movie studios were limiting HD videos to the tv was due to HDCP, but I'm not sure that is the real reason. I think it isn't so much the studios are worried about what the HD video is being displayed on but more about the ease of copying the video. The studios probably view the tv as not being as easy to copy video from device to device as they do with a computer running iTunes. With the tv being a semi-locked down device they are only allowing their HD movies to be played on it.
( Last edited by sideus; Feb 25, 2008 at 07:22 PM. )

Raman  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 26, 2008, 08:49 PM

@ksquared: It's Apple's fault because they're providing the hardware, software, and the conduit for obtaining the movie. The file would take up the same space on my desktop, which, incidentally has a bigger hard drive than the appleTV, and since I can hook up a firewire or usb drive, my desktop has essentially unlimited HD space.

@BRussel: I remember Steve demonstrating that you can "move" a movie from your rented iTunes to iPod so that you can only play it on one device. I am pretty sure iTunes would somehow re-encode it to run on my tiny iPod screen and take up less iPod hard drive space.

@cybergoober: Apple already does this by limiting the software that can be installed on what macs. i.e. we can't install leopard on our ibook 600 g3. We'll never call Apple asking why Spaces or Time Machine isn't working.

RE: HDCP support... I'm not talking about playing it on my Mac and watching it on another device. I'm talking about watching it on my 24" screen that's permanently attached to the rest of my iMac. I can watch HD trailers. I can create HD movies. I can download and watch HD video podcasts. But I can't download and watch HD movies.

I'm sure it has something to do with licensing and studios and other things that people that have no intention of illegally pirating movies care about. But I guess we're the ones that lose every time. Maybe renting BluRay DVD's from NetFlix isn't so bad after all. Until then I guess I'll use my 24" iMac to make iWebs, view my iCal, sort my iPhoto's and make my iMovies....

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 26, 2008, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by Raman View Post
@BRussel: I remember Steve demonstrating that you can "move" a movie from your rented iTunes to iPod so that you can only play it on one device. I am pretty sure iTunes would somehow re-encode it to run on my tiny iPod screen and take up less iPod hard drive space.
Sure, if you don't mind waiting 5 hours for the thing to re-encode. No, that is not a plausible option. They either need to keep hi-def separate from standard def like they do now, or include two separate files.

I'm really not sure it has to do with licensing issues or the MPAA. It may, but there are a number of technical reasons that have been mentioned in this thread - iPod compatibility, playability on older Macs - that may have made Apple make the decision themselves.

cybergoober
Mac Elite
Feb 26, 2008, 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by Raman View Post
@cybergoober: Apple already does this by limiting the software that can be installed on what macs. i.e. we can't install leopard on our ibook 600 g3. We'll never call Apple asking why Spaces or Time Machine isn't working.
Sure, but that data isn't transmitted over the internet to the Apple servers (that we're aware of, at least - unless you count Software Update). I'm not saying it's not possible for them to do this. I was just saying that could be one possible reason for them not offering HD downloads on iTunes.

Forum Links
Forum Rules