Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Western Digital 20Gb ATA 7200 RPM, any good?

Western Digital 20Gb ATA 7200 RPM, any good?
Sean7
Forum Regular
Aug 7, 2001, 09:09 PM

I still only have 10GB in my G4 Sawtooth and need an upgrade desperately but dont have much cash to spend as i will shortly be getting an ibook.

Does anyone know if Western Digital HD's are of a suffescient quality? They are the cheapest ATA drives at maczone.co.uk
Is their a reason for their cheap price?

Thanks
osx.vr9.com

slipjack
Senior User
Aug 7, 2001, 09:26 PM

Originally posted by Sean7:
<STRONG>I still only have 10GB in my G4 Sawtooth and need an upgrade desperately but dont have much cash to spend as i will shortly be getting an ibook.

Does anyone know if Western Digital HD's are of a suffescient quality? They are the cheapest ATA drives at maczone.co.uk
Is their a reason for their cheap price?

Thanks</STRONG>
I like my 30 GB 7200 well enough... it's faster by far over the stock 10 gig that came with my G4 350..

cheers

Team MacNN :: Crush the competition :: crunching :: Dual Ghz G4/Radeon 9000/23" Cinema Display

Sean7  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 7, 2001, 09:35 PM

Is it a Western Digital?
osx.vr9.com

slipjack
Senior User
Aug 8, 2001, 12:07 AM

Yep, $100 on sale at Comp USA a couple weeks back... I'm quite happy with the drive. (I too had a fear of Western Digital from years past, but they seem to be improving...)

It's not as quiet as an IBM, but not bad either.

Team MacNN :: Crush the competition :: crunching :: Dual Ghz G4/Radeon 9000/23" Cinema Display

Sean7  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 8, 2001, 01:14 PM

Thanks slipjack. I doubt the noise of the HD could be heared over this fan.
osx.vr9.com

Vampyre
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 8, 2001, 01:47 PM

My experiences with WD have not been good. Not to say their products have not changed over the last few years though. I have worked on many desktop systems with WD drives in them. Reliability is usually a problem due to bad blocks. With that said, I purchased a Dell last year and had to replace the IBM Deskstar 45 and 75 until they finally sent me a Maxtor. So, I am bias towards Maxtor because I have NEVER had a bad block on one....

Forum Links
Forum Rules