Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Could this be hardware or software?

Could this be hardware or software?
servo
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 6, 2008, 09:56 PM

I pulled my MacBook Pro out of my bag and opened it a little bit ago and after coming out of sleep the display jumped around a big then I was presented with this:

(click for bigger)

I was actually able to shut down by hitting the power button and wait for the laptop to power down after the timer ran down. I was also obviously able to take a screen shot using the keyboard shortcut.

So, I'm thinking this is a software thing. Since this is a new laptop, less than a month old, and the news that NVIDIA has sent out a bunch of bad chips I thought I'd see what others think.

The MacBook Pro is a 2.5 GHz Core 2 Duo w/ 4GB RAM. It's got the GeForce 8600M GT video card w/ 512 MB RAM.

moep
Senior User
Aug 7, 2008, 03:17 AM

Definitely the video card as you can take screenshots of the error and I can’t think of any type of software error that could trigger this.
If you want to be completely sure do a fresh installation of Leopard on a USB drive and boot from it.
If the same error happens again you can be sure that the GPU is to blame.

I believe it is indeed a defect GPU from Nvidia’s recent bad batch.
"The road to success is dotted with the most tempting parking spaces."

osiris24x
Aug 7, 2008, 11:19 AM

This is almost certainly a graphics card issue, yes. If it were an LCD or software problem, the glitch likely wouldn't have shown up on a screenshot.
Good luck!
Roger Michaels
Apple Certified Consultant
PDXMacRepair.com

Forum Links
Forum Rules