Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > StuffIt expander

StuffIt expander
ethan79
Dec 14, 2000, 07:39 AM

HEllo, my ibook 466 SE crashed so i used the rstore software CD to let my ibook start kicking again. However before it crashed, the program stuffit expander was able to expand files by just clicking the icon of the files i downloaded from the internet.

After restoring, i am unable to expand the files by just clicking onto the icon of the files downloaded, now I need to open up the stuffit expander file and manually expand the downloaded files. How do i change the settings to be able to expand the files i downloaded by just clicking on the downloaded files icon. ??

The Message APPEARS when i try to expand the files.

" The Document XXXX could not be opened, because the application " StuffIt expander " could not be found.
Could not find a translation extension with appropriate translators

hayesk
Dec 14, 2000, 12:36 PM

Two suggestions:

1. Make sure Stuffit Expander is on your hard disk - I believe it's in the Internet:Internet Utilities folder. If it's not there, look on your Restore CD or your System Software CD. It should get restored with your Internet software.

2. If it is there, rebuild your desktop - hold down Command (Apple) and Option while starting up. Keep it held down until the Finder comes up and asks you to rebuild - that should fix it. If your icons ever all look generic, this will fix that too.

ethan79  (op)
Dec 15, 2000, 08:53 AM

Hello Hayesk, What does Build up do ??
pardon my ignorance for i have no knowledge of machintosh at all.

thank you

ethan79  (op)
Dec 15, 2000, 09:41 AM

hi...

[This message has been edited by ethan79 (edited 12-15-2000).]

ethan79  (op)
Dec 15, 2000, 10:12 AM

Well .... i tried the build up .... but the problem is still there ...
what does build up do ???

After build up ... when i click on the downloaded files, i want to expand them ... they are not expanded automatically like before i crashed the ibook, it still needs to manually use the stuffit expander to open up the downloaded files.

From your suggestion no.1 - Make sure the stuffit expander is on the harddisk. What do you mean ? Do you mean i need to copy the icon of the stuffit expander onto the desktop ?

By the way, can u tell me how do u expand a downloaded file using the stuffit expander.... do u click on the downloaded file alone..? and when you do that .. do u have a message appearing saying " could not find the application program that created the document. To open the document, select an alternate program with or without translation. "
The above mentioned is the problem i faced.

Thank you for your help

SmileyDude
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 15, 2000, 11:53 AM

On the Mac, the DesktopDB is a file maintained by the operating system to track applications and various info about them (icon, file types, etc...)

When you run into the problem that an application can't be found when it's installed, this usually signifies a problem with the Desktop DB. So, just to rule out the possibilty, you just rebuild the desktop and see if it's fixed.

But in your case, it doesn't seem like it fixed the problem. On the Mac, the extension isn't really used at all... so even though the file has a .sit extension, the OS doesn't know that Stuffit Expander should launch the file. What is used is the file type... this is hidden from view, except with tools such as ResEdit and so forth.

What it looks like happened is that when you downloaded the file with your browser, the browser did not know that .sit files need to be associated with Stuffit Expander. Therefore, the type of the file is "????" instead of "SITD". You can check in the Internet control panel under the Advanced tab, in the File Mapping section, that .sit and .SIT is associated with Stuffit Expander. If it is not, click the add button and add associations for both with "SITD" as the type, and Stuffit Expander as the application. This should fix the problem for any downloads that you do in the future, but it will not fix the problem for any .sit files you currently have downloaded.

Good Luck

------------------
dennis
dennis

ethan79  (op)
Dec 16, 2000, 02:05 AM

Hi Smileydude...I do not understand what u R trying to tell me ...
can u try to guide me step by step ??
Thank you very much....
By the way.... i cannot locate the control panel u referring to ...
i cannot find the settings that allow me to add in the .SITD...

Mike Pither
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 23, 2000, 07:38 PM

In Internet explorer 5 click on

Edit
Preferences
Receiving Files
File Helpers

You can change or add assocoations there.

iMac DVSE 400 640mb + AL PB 15" with 1 gig + iMac 2,8 with 4gb + MacBook Pro 2,53 with 4gb

Mike Pither
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 23, 2000, 07:49 PM

In Internet explorer 5 click on

Edit
Preferences
Receiving Files
File Helpers

You can change or add assocoations there.

iMac DVSE 400 640mb + AL PB 15" with 1 gig + iMac 2,8 with 4gb + MacBook Pro 2,53 with 4gb

ethan79  (op)
Dec 24, 2000, 07:01 AM

thank you all for the help ...
the problem with the stiffit expander is fixed ...
but it is after i done the build up when i restart the system ..
i never make any changes to the system settings ...

so does anyone have an idea of wat is the problem ??

thanks you ...

Richard Pinneau
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 25, 2000, 06:38 AM

Uh, yeah.... An un-rebuilt desktop.
Which you fixed by the "rebuild desktop"
Pismo 400 192M Sys 9.1

ethan79  (op)
Dec 25, 2000, 10:24 AM

hi ... richard ...so what do u mean ?

Isit that everytime i used the restore CD to format my harddisk ...
i need to perform the build up ????

thank you ...

Forum Links
Forum Rules