Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > ethernet vs. sleep??

ethernet vs. sleep??
funbiz99
Jan 1, 2001, 10:18 PM

How do I solve my problem of having an ethernet connection that I use almost every time I use the ibook, and the fact that I am worried about leaving the computer on without sleeping all the time.

But after my ibook wakes up, almost always the ethernet connection is disconnected. Does anyone have a solution for this ??

thanks in advance

SupahCoolX
Mac Elite
Jan 1, 2001, 10:49 PM

Go to the energy saver control panel, click the "advanced" button, and select "reconnect to servers on wakeup." Also, remember to set that option for both the battery and power adaptor if you want.

[This message has been edited by SupahCoolX (edited 01-01-2001).]

funbiz99
Jan 2, 2001, 11:44 PM

Thanks, but with my 9.0.4 I don't see that setting under energy saver???

Help?

ethan79
Jan 13, 2001, 03:51 PM

Ermmm a question to clarify my doubts.

I also connect my ibook to the internet almost 12-18 hours a day ...
but during my meal time or when i make a trip out ...
i set the ibook to sleep mode to conserve energy....

so the question is ... when i set the ibook to sleep mode ...
does the internet connection on my cable / LAN ... get disconnected ?
since the connection is 24 hours ... will it get d/c when i set to sleep ?

(?_?)

funbiz99
Jan 21, 2001, 05:00 PM

Yes, it seems when the ibook goes to sleep, I lose my connection. Does anyone have a workaround??

SupahCoolX
Mac Elite
Jan 21, 2001, 08:20 PM

When a computer is asleep, it won't do anything. Even if you had a regular phone-line dialup connection, that would be disconnected when you put it to sleep. When asleep, the computer just keeps enough power going to keep the contents of the RAM intact. Keeping a network connection active requires the use of software and the hard drive, so that cannot be maintained during sleep mode. As for the energy saver control panel, it's there for me under OS9.0.4. Just click the "advanced settings" button at the top of the control panel and look at the bottom section labelled "other options."

funbiz99
Jan 22, 2001, 06:06 PM

I hate to belabor the point but I looked into my control panels and under advance settings, other options all I have are three choices

1. Allow processor cycling

2. Turn off the built in display instead of dimming it

3. Reduce processor speed

this is energy saver 3.0.1 for Mac os CPU software 2.5

do I need an upgrade?

ethan79
Jan 23, 2001, 05:03 AM

supahcoolX ... pardon my ignorance ...

let me ask again in layman terms.. coz i want to be 100% sure of what i understand from your statement.

Are you saying that .... i am unable to maintain connection to the internet even when i am using Cable / LAN ... when the ibook is in sleep mode ?
... because the harddrive is not spinning ... ???

am i right ?

Macfreak7
Mac Elite
Jan 23, 2001, 05:18 AM

Originally posted by ethan79:
Are you saying that .... i am unable to maintain connection to the internet even when i am using Cable / LAN ... when the ibook is in sleep mode ?
... because the harddrive is not spinning ... ???

am i right ?
putting your computer to sleep is as good as shutting it down. the only difference is faster activation when u wake it up, as opposed to starting it up from a shut down. you dont have to go through all the memory checking and the loading of extensions/control panels, etc..... when u wake the computer from sleep mode.

so when you put your computer to sleep, just think that u have shut it down, only to give u a faster start up.
everything is inactive, including your connection to the internet, no matter how you are connected. i dont think there is a way to keep your connection alive when your computer is put to sleep.

rjenkinson
Professional Poster
Jan 23, 2001, 02:42 PM

if you want to maintain the ethernet connection, why not set a separate time for the display and system (ie. 5 minutes and never)?

-r.

ethan79
Jan 23, 2001, 05:54 PM

Hi Macfreak7 .... thanks alot for uR explanation ....
finally have a complete picture of the sleep function.

thanks for helping out !....

and rjenkinson .... yesh i will try out what u have suggested.

Forum Links
Forum Rules