Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > The new iBook has been around for a while, how is everyone finding the rez?

The new iBook has been around for a while, how is everyone finding the rez?
Circa
Senior User
Jun 8, 2001, 08:15 PM

I personally saw the iBook a week or so ago and I must say I love the high rez. It looks so much smaller than the Powerbook G4. But still its not too hard on your eyes and I think it is awesome.

What does everyone else think?
Circa

klee6150
Forum Regular
Jun 8, 2001, 08:20 PM

I have been using my iBook for pretty much everything I do:

Internet
MS Word
MS Excel
PhotoShop

I find the rez awesome - crisp - clear - and not too small

Voch
Mac Elite
Jun 8, 2001, 08:40 PM

I'm typing this on my new iBook now. Absolutely excellent screen. Even one of my PC-notebook owning friends with his Gateway 14.1" screen can't get over how nice the iBook's screen is.

Voch

prolix
Forum Regular
Jun 8, 2001, 08:44 PM

i saw one yesterday and thought it was great. then i went to use a tibook and found the screen rather grainy. i ordered an ibook a few hours ago.

jog
Forum Regular
Jun 8, 2001, 09:39 PM

the screen is fantastic >> size, rez, bright, sharp, just great

kcmac
Mac Elite
Jun 8, 2001, 10:30 PM

I'm on my iMac right now after spending a marathon session on my iBook getting it loaded with my software. The iMac screen is fuzzy now in comparison and the font is much more gray.

I used to like the screen on my iMac. After using the iBook, it's hard to go back. This screen is beeeeuuuuteeeefulllll!

imacaholic
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 8, 2001, 10:40 PM

Razor sharp, crisp, and clear. Very comfortable on the eyes. I think it is custom made for use with OS X. With OS 9.1 text can seem somewhat miniscule at first, but still very comfortable on your eyes. It will be hard to top this in the next revision iBook.
Fold! It does a body good!™
173.82 GHz Tower of Folding Power
9th Ranked Folder in the World

Circa  (op)
Senior User
Jun 8, 2001, 11:42 PM

Ya the screen is really good, I wonder if it really is a better screen than the powerbooks of the past. Probably is, although my Lombard has a sharp and crisp screen as well. But when I walked into my local Apple Dealer I was amazed at the sheer brilliance of the colours and text.

Yay Apple!
Circa

Diomed
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 9, 2001, 12:13 AM

Typing on it right now in Mac OS X, everything is beautiful. The 1024x768 res isn't too small and isn't too large. This is my first mac, and I have tears in my eyes.

Diomed
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 9, 2001, 12:15 AM

Typing on it right now in Mac OS X, everything is beautiful. The 1024x768 res isn't too small and isn't too large. This is my first mac, and I have tears in my eyes.

Diomed
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 9, 2001, 12:16 AM

Skaught24
Jun 9, 2001, 12:29 AM

Well, I can say that my new iBook has spoiled me in a very profound way. I have a pc at home, and I used to brag at the clarity of its 17" monitor. Now, after using my new iBook, it looks like poop.

I have found that under normal indoor conditions, I have to turn the brightness on the book down to about 1/2 capacity. Now THAT is a bright notebook screen!

"10 percent of computer users are Mac users, but remember,
we are the top 10 percent." - Douglas Adams 1952-2001

dbergstrom
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 9, 2001, 12:34 AM

I moved from a Wallstreet 14.1" to the new iBook.

The first couple of days I felt a little more eye strain (iStrain?) after using the iBook. Now that I've adjusted it's great!

Bright, sharp, superb. I know at least two people who have seen my iBook and gone right out and ordered one!
Don

Gaskell
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 9, 2001, 01:59 AM

Only thing I wish about the iBook screen is that it looked as rich and colorful straight on as it does when you're looking up at it. As it is, I have to tilt the screen completely open and sit all the way back to get that rich color--but then all the darks lose contrast and look muddy.

I still prefer the range of my CRT display, but for a portable the iBook screen is very spiff.

Korv
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 9, 2001, 03:38 AM

Fantabulous!

Honestly, the screen was my biggest concern. Would it be too small? Would it be legible? I'm young and have good eyes, so I bought the iBook sight unseen trusting Apple, who always uses only best LCDs. Well, now that I've been staring at this screen for a couple weeks, it is without a doubt my #1 favorite feature of the iBook! I could just stare at it for days. It is so bright, and crisp, and clear. The instant I started up my iBook and saw this screen, I knew there would be no regrets.

Maybe for some it might be too small. But I gotta tell ya, the clarity and resolution are soooooo great, that won't be the case for many people at all. The screen is perfect: small to keep the form factor compact, and one of the best LCDs I've ever seen.

Kudos to Apple for putting this screen in the iBook and moving away from 800x600.

XRA
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 9, 2001, 09:50 AM

Love it, love it, love it!!!!!!

�Drew�
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 9, 2001, 12:10 PM

I like it. The screen is real nice. But I do have one dead pixel. Bummer.

Circa  (op)
Senior User
Jun 9, 2001, 02:55 PM

Ya for some I still think it would be a bit small, but for the most part having everything in smaller detail is a plus.. When I looked at the Tibook recently I wanted the iBooks screen because of the fine text and all. But I really think Apple excelled here.
Circa

Professor X
Forum Regular
Jun 9, 2001, 03:13 PM

screen is beautiful! I also have one dead (white) pixel... which is right in the letterbox while watching DVD's, But I wouldn't trade my icebook for the world. The REZ is about a million times better then my old 466 ibook.
-Prof X
icebook 500/DVD 9500 200

www.macanonymous.com

ATC Ken
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 9, 2001, 10:36 PM

Have to agree with kcmac and many others - my new iBook screen is great and has surpassed the clarity and crispness I had come to like on my iMac DV SE. Incredible job by Apple on upgrading the LCD screen on the new iBooks compared to the old ones.

Don't have any problems with the screen size - took a little bit of getting used to like anything new but now...WOW. By the way, can you tell that I like my iBook yet?

Prof. X - ref your dead pixel...did you do the rubbing thing on the pixel (rub with soft cloth in small circle over pixel)? I had 3 "dead" pixels when I first got my iBook but was able to "rub" them out and haven't had a dead pixel since that first turn on.

Ken
2.5 Ghz MacBook Pro, 2GB Ram, 250 GB HD...major upgrade replacement for my recently sold iBook.

1.25 Ghz iMac, 17", 768 MB Ram, 160GB HD, SuperDrive, Airport Extreme..still a great desktop machine!

�Drew�
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 9, 2001, 10:46 PM

About how long do you have to rub to get those 'dead' pixels to respond?

Jug-dish
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 10, 2001, 02:32 AM

I also have a stuck pixel that I can't seem to get rid of. How much pressure did you exert while rubbing the screen?

Thanks,
Jug-dish

t_hah
Mac Elite
Jun 10, 2001, 02:52 AM

I have two bad pixels on my Ti. One of them is on the bottom of the screen, somewhere in the middle. I have the dock on all the time in OSX, so I do not really notice that pixel. That one is constantly off by the way.
The other dead pixel is almost in the absolute middle of the screen. That one does go on and off. After messing around with the dead pixels in the first days I figured out that I got the best results if I didn't "massage" the dead pixel itself, but more like around it.
It goes away sometimes for days, and then it comes back again. No big deal. Being married gets you into bigger problems...but of course I do not yet have experience with that.

I do a lot of graphics work in Photoshop, and I just learned not to get bothered by the dead pixels. I think a couple of dead pixels will not end the world. You still have couple hundred thousands left to look at.

t

cmcleod design
Forum Regular
Jun 10, 2001, 04:00 AM

i ahd a look @ one in the shop last week and WOW. The screen is just amazing. so clear and sharp. much nicer than the Ti Book

Circa  (op)
Senior User
Jun 10, 2001, 04:49 AM

Yep the screen is really bright
Circa

bluebean
Forum Regular
Jun 10, 2001, 09:41 AM

How's the screen for watching DVDs? Can 2 people watch OK or is it too small?

Circa  (op)
Senior User
Jun 10, 2001, 04:19 PM

2 people could watch no problem, on full screen its supposed to be amazing.
Circa

dagmar
Forum Regular
Jun 10, 2001, 11:05 PM

Yup, screen is definitely terrific...a whole group of people can sit and watch DVD with no problem. Had that opportunity just recently during a power outage. Three of us sat here, watched Twister, sound was good...sitting three feet from the ibook and watching a movie is better than sitting eight feet from a tv

Gaskell
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 11, 2001, 12:31 AM

DVD's look better to me in normal screen mode. Full screen looks fuzzy.

[ 06-11-2001: Message edited by: Gaskell ]

Diomed
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 11, 2001, 02:05 AM

I hooked my iBook up to my TV with the A/V cable and the output looked perfect. 10x better than a VHS, exactly like a normal DVD player would have. Sound was kind of low... just turned it up really high to fix that.

-- dio / out

PeteWK
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 11, 2001, 02:22 AM

My vote goes for: Great! I love the sharpness and brightness. When I want the fonts more readable in Word, I just increase the percentage.

PeteWK

Gee4orce
Professional Poster
Jun 11, 2001, 04:55 AM

How do you guys manage when using the screen outdoors ? Do you sit in shade ? How bright do you have it ?

I tried sitting outside in not-very-bright sunlight this weekend and coudl hardly read the screen at all. Brightness adjustment made no difference whatsoever, infact the screen is still partially legible in direct sunlight. Wearing polarized shades it toally out though !

DamnDJ
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 12, 2001, 12:44 AM

Gaskell > I completely agree with your comment. I find myself tiling my screen further back than would be normal. Looking at it from an angle facing up, the screen looks sooooo much better than it already does. When you look at it head on, things look washed out a little bit. Looking up at it and it's quite amazing looking.

This isn't to say it looks great while looking at it head on, but looking up at it makes it look even better.

*shrug*

Azenation
Jun 12, 2001, 12:55 AM

The resolution is great. Best I've ever seen. Its not so bad on the eyes after you get used to it except for the fact that I've been losing sight over the last couple of days.

Circa  (op)
Senior User
Jun 12, 2001, 01:05 AM

Yep the rez is great, I am glad they managed to have a 12inch screen and then have a 1024X768 rez going. That is to me truely a good portable...
Circa

Forum Links
Forum Rules