Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Getting A/V Cable to display on TV

Getting A/V Cable to display on TV
Diomed
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 10, 2001, 03:31 AM

Just wondering the specifics on how to get the A/V cable to display on a TV. I have it all set up, the cords connected, and it set to video 2 on the TV, but I'm not receiving anything.

What stupid thing have I missed ?

STAT
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 10, 2001, 03:36 AM

Make sure you have the yellow cord hooked to the TV's RCA video plug. The colors should match, but just in case. You shouldn't have to have audio hooked up, but the red and white plugs are the right and left (respectively) audio plugs. If your TV just has one audio port, you can buy a little dongle that converges the stereo feed into one plug. Try changing some of the TV settings back and forth until you figure it out.
Apple user since 1987

Diomed  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 10, 2001, 05:14 AM

I guess it doesn't like being plugged into the VCR... I unplugged everything from the TV and put it right in and it worked.

Am I the only one who is amazed by the DVD output to the screen? It seems absolutely perfect. I heard reports of it being "mediocre" quality, but there was nothing mediocre about it... it seemed 10x better than VHS output from my VCR. Damn, I love my iBook!

-- dio / out

imacaholic
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 10, 2001, 09:27 AM

Make sure that TV and Video mirroring are enabled. Check the settings to be sure everything is set to run.
Fold! It does a body good!™
173.82 GHz Tower of Folding Power
9th Ranked Folder in the World

SillyMonk
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 10, 2001, 11:02 AM

Originally posted by imacaholic:
<STRONG>Make sure that TV and Video mirroring are enabled. Check the settings to be sure everything is set to run.</STRONG>
What/where are these settings? i just plugged everything and it worked...am I missing something?

Thanks,
John
My life is my argument. --Albert Schweitzer

Korv
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 12, 2001, 09:49 AM

I also "just plugged it in and it worked." If you were playing a DVD through the VCR, the DVD encoding would have f***ed it up for you. Gotta go directly to the TV unless you're a DeCSS hacker.

Also, regarding quality, I also saw lots of posts here about middleing or mediocre quality. Not so in my case! It looks absolutly gorgeous on both the iBook screen and on the TV! After watching my DVD I played cro-mag rally on TV.

BrunoBruin
Mac Elite
Jun 12, 2001, 11:31 AM

I was also really pleased with the playback quality. Plugged in the AV cable and it worked perfectly first time. I had planned to go through my VCR as well, then remembered DVD encoding, so had to go straight to the TV. Started the movie, closed the 'Book, watched the whole thing on battery power. Life is good.
"I'm an award-winning creative, the rules of society no longer apply to me."

Forum Links
Forum Rules