Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > The definitive 2D renaissance thread

The definitive 2D renaissance thread
Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 22, 2009, 10:00 AM

With the plethora of so many cool 2D games being released lately, i think it's about time we had a thread dedicated to it. The best ones i've seen include:

-Braid
-World Of Goo
-Muramasa: The Demon Blade
-A Boy and his Blob
-New Super Mario Brothers
-Scribblenauts
-Machinarium

So far ive only played World Of Goo and NSMB(DS), and they're awesome game. i still need to try the others. If you guys have any suggestions/impressions/recommendations or know of some upcoming ones in the near future.... spit it out here.

Cheers
( Last edited by Hawkeye_a; Oct 22, 2009 at 06:31 PM. )

sek929
Posting Junkie
Oct 22, 2009, 06:07 PM

Bogues had a 2D platformer he recommended to me, can't remember the name for the life of me. I think it's XBLA-only though.

klb5090
Mac Elite
Oct 22, 2009, 06:19 PM

its more 2D/3D but "Shadow Complex"
if you love the old school Metroid series, you need to find a way to play this game.

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 23, 2009, 12:52 PM

I just got World of Goo during their "pay what you want" special that's going on right now. I gotta say...it's not *that* spectacular. I mean the music is pretty good, but the graphics aren't anything to write home about - it feels like a Tim Burton ripoff, and nobody does Tim Burton as well as Tim Burton himself (IMO).

It also has the distinct feel of an in-browser flash game. Frankly, I don't want to pay $20 for a game that looks like it came off an arcade website.

Then again, I'm not one to go for a game or a movie based on reviews, because it seems like a *lot* of media-based reviews these days go off hype more than the author's actual opinion.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Oct 23, 2009, 01:19 PM

"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 23, 2009, 01:27 PM

Trials HD sounded pretty cool when I read about it on Ars.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 25, 2009, 07:02 PM

There were many 2.5D games I loved. Gauntlet (the remake) was awesome for that.

sideus
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2009, 01:39 PM

Machinarium is great. Simple point and click interface. The game artwork is amazing.

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 30, 2009, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by shifuimam View Post
I just got World of Goo during their "pay what you want" special that's going on right now. I gotta say...it's not *that* spectacular. I mean the music is pretty good, but the graphics aren't anything to write home about - it feels like a Tim Burton ripoff, and nobody does Tim Burton as well as Tim Burton himself (IMO).

It also has the distinct feel of an in-browser flash game. Frankly, I don't want to pay $20 for a game that looks like it came off an arcade website.

Then again, I'm not one to go for a game or a movie based on reviews, because it seems like a *lot* of media-based reviews these days go off hype more than the author's actual opinion.
IMO, Tim Burton's art style didn't even cross my mind.... if anything, Ghibli crossed my mind. The graphics look smooth, antialiased, stylized and vibrant. The technology is inconsequential as well imo.... we're talking about 2D games in 2009....'nuff said. I paid for(again) Super Mario Brothers a couple of years ago, cutting edge technology didn't factor into my decision, but i had a blast playing it.

The music in World of Goo is stellar imo, especially when you take into account that the entire team at 2D Boy is made up of 2 guys.

But the real reasons i loved the game was the gameplay, the mechanics, the challenges presented. it feels like a stripped down virtual version of lego, which is why so many people love this game, imo. It's akin to tetris in terms of addictiveness, to some degree.

Oh before i forget....
Any Mega Man fans here ? Opinions on MegaMan 9 ?

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Oct 31, 2009, 04:32 AM

Mega Man 9 was better than a lot of the actual NES games, though it was a bit too easy. I mean, I blew through all the bosses in two afternoons. The Black Hole Bomb and shield were both overpowered. One kills all the enemies on the screen and the other turns you into a rampaging unstoppable force until you hit a screen-switch and they take that little ammo? You could practically cheese the whole game with just those two weapons. It was worth the cash, but if somebody who had never played a Mega Man game asked me if he should get it, I'd still recommend 2 or 3.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

downinflames68
Baninated
Nov 2, 2009, 02:56 PM

I started playing Zelda for SNES all over again, since I never completely beat it, back in the day. This game is hard.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Nov 2, 2009, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by downinflames68 View Post
I started playing Zelda for SNES all over again, since I never completely beat it, back in the day. This game is hard.
I'd say Zelda 3 is tied with OoT for best in the series.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

LWgifts
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 6, 2009, 10:13 AM

Inkvaders on iPhone is really quick, simple fun. Not much depth, but good for 5 minutes waiting at the bus stop ;-)

Hook Champ is similarly addictive, and not only is it 2D, but proper retro 8 bit 2D!

sek929
Posting Junkie
Nov 6, 2009, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
I'd say Zelda 3 is tied with OoT for best in the series.
Despite OoT seeming larger due to being in 3D I think the more grandiose and involved game is Link to the Past.

Rob, tell me when you get to the Ice Temple in Dark World, that sucker is maddening.

downinflames68
Baninated
Nov 16, 2009, 05:57 PM

Sek: I'm at the ice temple in the dark world.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Nov 16, 2009, 07:08 PM

All I can say is that you need the Cane of Somaria (sp?) it's found in the Dark World swamp temple (Misery Mire).

The Ice Temple can be beat without it, but with the cane (it spawns movable blocks) you can save yourself a few frustrating hours. Of course this means you'll have to beat Swamp Temple, as the cane is in the 'Big Chest' near the end of the dungeon.

is not
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 28, 2009, 03:03 PM

-A Boy and his Blob
-New Super Mario Brothers
-Scribblenauts

Have these, lots of fun!

TheoCryst
Mac Elite
Nov 30, 2009, 05:43 PM

I'm intrigued by Project Needlemouse, but I won't say that I'm actually excited for it. I've been hurt by Sonic Team way too many times lately. Definitely playing the "wait and see" game for this one -- there hasn't been a bad 2D Sonic game to date, so maybe they won't completely f*** this one up.

But they probably will.

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

Forum Links
Forum Rules