Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > So conservatives, what about these quotas?

So conservatives, what about these quotas?
lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 3, 2010, 07:27 PM

NYPD Officer claims pressure to make arrests.

This makes me want to vomit. And of course, yet again, more stories of cops arresting people and holding them in jail, then released. No charges.

No arrest quotas. No arrests without charges. No more blue wall bull-crap.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 3, 2010, 07:35 PM

Unfortunately, this is quite typical in large urban centers. Most often certain neighborhoods are targeted with such tactics, while others are ... not. And then some wonder why many people in the targeted neighborhoods don't view the police as "Officer Friendly".

OAW

Snow-i
Professional Poster
Mar 3, 2010, 08:39 PM

what does this have to do with conservatives?

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Mar 3, 2010, 08:58 PM

We didn't have ticket/arrest quotas until we elected a Democrat Governor. That bastard!
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 4, 2010, 03:29 AM

I'm calling BS on this guy's claim, for the simple reason that every time some municipality or police chief insists on a quota, the union raises holy hell about it to any news source that will listen. Not to mention that quotas are actually illegal in New York State. A department locally tried this nonsense and it was on every news station and paper in the area the next day, courtesy of the departments PBA.
Nemo me impune lacesset

pooka
Mac Elite
Mar 4, 2010, 10:13 AM

Jeeze. Is there anything fed, state or municipal employees can't **** up?

New, Improved and Legal in 50 States

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 4, 2010, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by snow-i View Post
qft. ???
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

BadKosh
Professional Poster
Mar 4, 2010, 12:52 PM

The DC cops (DC is heavily Democratic) do the same thing. what is the point again? That this is a Conservative issue or is it just faulty assumptions from a liberal?

Osedax
Forum Regular
Mar 4, 2010, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by Snow-i View Post
TRICK THREAD! Anyone that asked this question is now a known conservatie! GOTCHA SUCKERS!

lpkmckenna  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 4, 2010, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by Snow-i View Post
Conservatives typically complain about hiring quotas. So will the complain about arrest quotas? Of course not. "Tough on crime" and all that crap.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 4, 2010, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by lpkmckenna View Post
Conservatives typically complain about hiring quotas. So will the complain about arrest quotas? Of course not. "Tough on crime" and all that crap.
Huh? Is there an affirmative action component to these arrest quotas that conservatives would object to in order to be consistent with their objection to hiring quotas?

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

Osedax
Forum Regular
Mar 4, 2010, 04:51 PM

I fail to see how you are relating "hiring quotas" to "arrest quotas" beyond the use of the word "quotas"?

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 4, 2010, 04:57 PM

There's nothing wrong with arrest quotas, as long as the arrests are made properly. Isn't that the only issue here?

There's got to be some standard for police officers. If officers in a given district averages 25 arrests a month but one poor schmuck usually does 3, then maybe he needs a fire lit under the behind, right? And maybe the guy who does 45 needs to be cautioned to tone down his zeal....

greg
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

Osedax
Forum Regular
Mar 4, 2010, 05:13 PM

Just so you know, you threw your own post off topic with that stupid subject. What could have been an interesting thread about arrest quotas is now doomed no nothing but politics bickering. Good job.

Lint Police
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 4, 2010, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by ShortcutToMoncton View Post
There's nothing wrong with arrest quotas, as long as the arrests are made properly. Isn't that the only issue here?

There's got to be some standard for police officers. If officers in a given district averages 25 arrests a month but one poor schmuck usually does 3, then maybe he needs a fire lit under the behind, right? And maybe the guy who does 45 needs to be cautioned to tone down his zeal....

greg
he only should tone down his zeal if his arrests are not resulting in prosecutions.

cause we're not quite "the fuzz"

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Mar 4, 2010, 06:24 PM

San Francisco and Oakland are now openly engaging in biased ticketing. If you live in the higher class areas, they hand out warnings for parking violations. If you live in the lower income areas, they're issuing tickets instead of warnings. Chief of Police in San Francisco was talking about it the other day. They say it's to help the parking problems they're having.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Macrobat
Mac Elite
Mar 4, 2010, 08:08 PM

The way most police departments, including my local one, gets around the "quota" thing (and can say with a straight face "we don't have quotas) is that court dates are - union negotiated - overtime days. More tickets/charges, more court dates - more overtime. See the pattern?
"That Others May Live"
On the ISG: "The nation's capital hasn't seen such concentrated wisdom in one place since Paris Hilton dined alone at the Hooters on Connecticut Avenue." - John Podhoretz

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Mar 4, 2010, 08:35 PM

So liberals, what about botched abortions?

ebuddy

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Mar 4, 2010, 08:53 PM

Abortions and botched abortions kick ass! Way better than stupid quotas...

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 5, 2010, 02:20 AM

Abortion quotas are wrong.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Mar 5, 2010, 02:28 AM

So are botched abortion quotas and quotas on both abortion quotas and botched abortion quotas.

Orion27
Mac Elite
Mar 5, 2010, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
Abortions and botched abortions kick ass! Way better than stupid quotas...
You're on sick puppy Besson.

lpkmckenna  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 5, 2010, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by Osedax View Post
I fail to see how you are relating "hiring quotas" to "arrest quotas" beyond the use of the word "quotas"?
I'm not really. (Although common sense indicates that minorities will be the targets of spurious arrests because of these quotas, as OAW noted.)

I guess my real point was: conservatives tend to be badge-kissers, only a brazen badge-kisser could defend a stupid policy like arrest quotas. Every arrest and every charge should be evaluated on a case-by-case basis, not to meet some irrelevant target. I would hope that some sensible conservative would realize that arrest quotas are as stupid as hiring quotas, but I guess not.

Myself, I'm not too fond of hiring quotas for the purpose of "aiding minorities," but I'm ok with hiring quotas if it's intended to address a real need. If I was the CEO of Walmart, I'd ensure my sales floor had a reasonable diversity because that makes a positive impression on customers, and there's no risk of not hiring "the best applicant" because any dimwit is capable of working at Walmart. The same goes with police officers, but I draw the line at firefighters.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Mar 5, 2010, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by Orion27 View Post
You're on sick puppy Besson.
If I was on a sick puppy it wouldn't be sick for very long before it was dead. I weigh 200 pounds!

Snow-i
Professional Poster
Mar 7, 2010, 12:41 AM

I'm not really. (Although common sense indicates that minorities will be the targets of spurious arrests because of these quotas, as OAW noted.)

I guess my real point was: conservatives tend to be badge-kissers, only a brazen badge-kisser could defend a stupid policy like arrest quotas. Every arrest and every charge should be evaluated on a case-by-case basis, not to meet some irrelevant target. I would hope that some sensible conservative would realize that arrest quotas are as stupid as hiring quotas, but I guess not.
Uhh, conservatives are hardly badge kissers. We show appreciation and defend men and women in the service of our country or society who use their positions properly and objectively, and we are totally and unequivocally against those who use their authority to benefit from our society in any way, shape or form. This includes arrest quotas for any purpose.

Perhaps before making a new thread, you should do basic research on the topic.

finboy
Mar 7, 2010, 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by OAW View Post
Unfortunately, this is quite typical in large urban centers. Most often certain neighborhoods are targeted with such tactics, while others are ... not. And then some wonder why many people in the targeted neighborhoods don't view the police as "Officer Friendly".

OAW
Wow, where I grew up and everyone was poor, white and conservative (well, not quite everyone was white, just MOSTLY white), all of the police officers had quotas for DUIs and tickets and everything else. Speeding near the end of the month was taking your life in your own hands! Nothing new here.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Mar 8, 2010, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by ebuddy View Post
So liberals, what about botched abortions?
That's a good question. Maybe you should ask the conservatives bombing abortion clinics, murdering doctors, and passing legislation forcing doctors to jump through hoops just to provide a safe environment for women to have an operation for what should be a relatively simple procedure.

BadKosh
Professional Poster
Mar 8, 2010, 01:09 PM

Safe?? LOL SAFE for WHO? Killing babies is what Liberals are all about.

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 8, 2010, 01:29 PM

Here's a great reason for quotas!

Talk about corrupt. They arrest you, and take your stuff. No charges needed.
Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Mar 8, 2010, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by BadKosh View Post
Safe?? LOL SAFE for WHO?
You have to ask? Seriously?

Killing babies is what Liberals are all about.
So is your God.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 8, 2010, 02:33 PM

Well, this thread has progressed as expected.

BadKosh
Professional Poster
Mar 8, 2010, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
You have to ask? Seriously?
Obviously you don't take abortions too seriously. THINK about whats going on and the reasons given.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Mar 8, 2010, 04:07 PM

I don't take abortions seriously, I think they should exist in great abundance.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 8, 2010, 04:18 PM

*slow clap*

Well done, conservatives. The liberals in this thread don't seem to have recognized you changed the subject from police quotas.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Mar 8, 2010, 04:43 PM

Obviously you don't take abortions too seriously.
I don't take abortions seriously because I'm concerned for the welfare of the woman having the abortion, as well as her family, loved ones, the doctors, and support staff? What a strange little world you live in.

I don't support abortions, but I support a woman's right to have one. The decision is personal, emotionally stressful beyond your comprehension, and most of all, it's none of your damn business.

Abortion rates, sexually transmitted diseases, and teen pregnancies are at a historical low, the lowest ever since records have been kept; these historically low numbers are directly a result of the introduction of planned parenting services. Your ridiculous rhetoric of abstinence, anti homosexual, and pro-life has done absolutely nothing to help people or make any meaningful, positive change.

In short, yes, I take abortion very seriously.

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 8, 2010, 11:18 PM

Arrest quotas-->racial quotas-->abortion.

Makes sense.
Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.

CRASH HARDDRIVE
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 8, 2010, 11:22 PM

What about racial abortion arrest quotas?

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 8, 2010, 11:33 PM

Can we get back on topic please?
Nemo me impune lacesset

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Mar 9, 2010, 07:41 AM

That's a good question. Maybe you should ask the conservatives bombing abortion clinics, murdering doctors, and passing legislation forcing doctors to jump through hoops just to provide a safe environment for women to have an operation for what should be a relatively simple procedure.
My point, which flew right over your head; was that you can generally support a thing without having to appreciate every unsavory aspect of it.

To your point though- maybe instead of trying to engineer society by building the bulk of their shoddy clinics in minority neighborhoods, PP "libs" could invest the billions of dollars of "non-profit" they get in improving clinic conditions overall. There is no law saying abortions need to be unsterile or that they be attempted on women who aren't pregnant. Killing the undesired result of irresponsible sex may seem simple, but there's nothing simple about the growing number of breast cancer victims.
ebuddy

BadKosh
Professional Poster
Mar 9, 2010, 08:50 AM

Your ridiculous rhetoric of abstinence, anti homosexual, and pro-life has done absolutely nothing to help people or make any meaningful, positive change. In short, yes, I take abortion very seriously.
You must think just because I'm conservative, that I MUST be some religious nutcase. I think the solution is cultural, not medical. Religious rhetoric? Not from me. I don't KNOW if their is a god, But I tend to believe so. I don't think abortions should be just for the convenience of irresponsible. I understand they made a mistake. Why can't they see it as well? As far as rape, castrate the jerk. Second offense is prison for a decade or more. Guys who are assholes need to be dealt with harshly.

CRASH HARDDRIVE
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 9, 2010, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by ThinkInsane View Post
Can we get back on topic please?
Sure.
Liberals= often in favor of quotas, especially race-based quotas.
Conservatives= consistently against quotas, especially race-based quotas.

Thread topic= somehow conservatives have something to do with something they're consistently against (in that bastion of all things conservative, NYC). I'm assuming we have to use 'lib-logic' which is to say, a complete lack thereof, to arrive at this 'connection'.

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 9, 2010, 07:15 PM

Allow me to be more specific: This thread is about police quotas, not abortions, so any more off-topic posts regarding abortions will be deleted and the posters will receive infractions.
Nemo me impune lacesset

lpkmckenna  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 11, 2010, 02:41 AM

I think the thread is dead anyway. Frankly, even with a less troll-tastic title, it would have been pretty much the same. Someone would have compared arrest quotas to hiring quotas.

Someone mentioned speed ticket quotas. That's certainly another thorn any rational person would recognize as pure abuse of power, but politicians are the real blame there.
Originally Posted by BadKosh
As far as rape, castrate the jerk. Second offense is prison for a decade or more. Guys who are assholes need to be dealt with harshly.
Uh, no thanks. We don't need to emulate the Islamic world here. Prison is good enough.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Mar 11, 2010, 05:07 AM

Actually, busting their balls with a hammer might be the best deterrent for others. Maybe if they set a "ball quota" it would cut down on rape?
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

BadKosh
Professional Poster
Mar 11, 2010, 01:05 PM

We already castrate serial rapists, child molesters and such. Others get shots to reduce their sex drives.

lpkmckenna  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 11, 2010, 05:56 PM

But that's not real castration, obviously.

Forum Links
Forum Rules